Protein powder

Options
Can anyone recommend me a good, versatile protein powder that is gluten and dairy free? I like the sound of the Garden of Life ones but thought I would see what people recommend first. Also it needs to be relatively easy to get in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• OkRebeccaJay
    OkRebeccaJay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would reccomend Juice Plus+ shakes. While they are not technically a protein powder, they are gluten and dairy free and are more effective at muscle repair and recovery than most protein powders. Whey protein (the most common type used in powders) is a by-product, and not easily absorbed by the body meaning you only absorb and utilise a fraction of the amount per serving advertised on the tin. Juice Plus+ has 19g of bio-available protein per serving, all of which is absorbed and used. In addition to this, you get the benefit of the nutrients from 17 fruits and veg to help your nutrition in general :)

Oh, and its easy to get in the UK - just give me a shout if you want any more info xx
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not used these particular ones as I'm fine with whey but found TheProteinWorks (UK company) really good on service and product - one of the few that does powders without aspartame or sucralose (can't stand the taste).

This is their lactose free range including rice, pea, egg white, hemp, soy powders.......

http://www.theproteinworks.com/products?cat=6&dietary=413
  • sijomial
    Options
    I would reccomend Juice Plus+ shakes. While they are not technically a protein powder, they are gluten and dairy free and are more effective at muscle repair and recovery than most protein powders. Whey protein (the most common type used in powders) is a by-product, and not easily absorbed by the body meaning you only absorb and utilise a fraction of the amount per serving advertised on the tin. Juice Plus+ has 19g of bio-available protein per serving, all of which is absorbed and used. In addition to this, you get the benefit of the nutrients from 17 fruits and veg to help your nutrition in general :)

Oh, and its easy to get in the UK - just give me a shout if you want any more info xx
    Don't want to derail the thread but do you have a source for the comment in bold as doesn't seem right to me.
    This is my understanding:
    Bioavailability / Biological Value....meats and dairy products rank the highest on the BV scale since they are complete proteins. Here is a list of the foods which rank the highest on the BV chart, and therefore have the highest bioavailability of all proteins:

1) Whey Protein (BV 100+)
    2) Eggs (BV 100)
    3) Dairy, meat, fish, poultry (BV 70 - 100)

Grains, nuts, seed and vegetables are not on this list. Since they are incomplete proteins, they have a BV of under 70. This means that the body cannot use them as efficiently as the foods with a higher BV rating.

(Link - http://www.build-muscle-gain-weight.com/bioavailability-of-protein-in-relation-to-building-muscle.html )
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    bump UK pea versus EAS whey product.
  • NovaStar82
    NovaStar82 Posts: 57
    Options
    I use Pulsin Natural Whey Powder but they also have Pea, Rice and Hemp powders.

I get mine via Amazon.
  • OkRebeccaJay
    Options

Don't want to derail the thread but do you have a source for the comment in bold as doesn't seem right to me.
    Bioavailability / Biological Value....meats and dairy products rank the highest on the BV scale since they are complete proteins. Here is a list of the foods which rank the highest on the BV chart, and therefore have the highest bioavailability of all proteins:

2) Eggs (BV 100)

Grains, nuts, seed and vegetables are not on this list. Since they are incomplete proteins, they have a BV of under 70. This means that the body cannot use them as efficiently as the foods with a higher BV rating.

(Link - http://www.build-muscle-gain-weight.com/bioavailability-of-protein-in-relation-to-building-muscle.html )

Im not sure how whey protein can be more bio available than dairy (which it is a by-product of).....

Whey Protein "is animal based and a derivative of milk production. It is obtained by coagulating and removing the curd (casein) during cheese production. After it is separated from milk, whey contains almost all of the vitamins and minerals, 50% of the milk solids, and 20-24% of the milk proteins.", so it only contains 20-24% of the proteins in milk."

Whey can also cause muscle inflammation, it's actually really bad for you whereas Juice Plus+ complete helps to build the lean muscle, you can eat eggs meat fish and poultry also but it's about building the healthy muscle not inflamed and painful one xx

Juice Plus+ complete uses soy based protein

"Soy Protein:

Is plant based. Using soy is a good way to get less animal food products, which we get too much of. Soy proteins are high in quality and are free from cholesterol and are very low in saturated fat. In addition, there is fiber in soy products along with phytonutrients not present in whey protein.

Soy is a quality equivalent to both casein and various animal proteins and contains high amounts of glutamine and arginine. Recent studies regarding the cardioprotective (heart protection) benefits of soy isoflavones has stimulated an increase in the numbers of people using soy powders. In addition, studies on nitrogen balance indicate that isolated soy is comparable to that of animal proteins.

How does your protein score?

We recommend you consider trying "Juice Plus Complete". It scores in the "EXCELLENT" Category; one serving has a 25% Daily Value, excellent by anyones standards."

Benefits of Juice Plus Complete:

More protein: from a proprietary blend providing a variety of proteins from water-washed soy, peas, chickpeas, tofu, rice, and other plant sources.

More fiber: 8 grams per serving - in a healthful blend of soluble and insoluble fibers from apples, corn, rice and other plant sources.

Less fat: less than ½ gram per 100 calories.

Less sugar: only 8 grams per 100 calories - from organic sugar cane, monk fruit, stevia and other plant sources.

Fewer calories: 120 calories per serving – better for you than just about any other 120 calories you’re likely to eat or drink.

Even the carbs are healthy - 20 grams per serving: our all-natural plant sources of slow releasing, low-glycemic index carbohydrates include quinoa, amaranth, and millet in a proprietary blend of “ancient grains” that have been cultivated for centuries.

It also contains a complete profile of amino acids, which are an important part of muscle growth.
    It doesn't contain gluten, or dairy either which seems ideal for what IzzyRoseDixon is looking for :)
    xx
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    So q quick search: EAS Whey 2 scoops(39 grams) calories 150, C 7 , F 2, and Protein 26 grams//Natureade Pea 2 scoops (37 grams) calories 130, C 10, F 2.5, Protein 20 grams//Swanson Pea 2 scoops(40 grams) calories 160, C < 2, F 2, and Protein 32 grams. Ordering Swanson Pea and as long as it isn't nasty, picking 6 grams of Protein is worth the 10 calorie difference compared to EAS whey product.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

2) Eggs (BV 100)

Im not sure how whey protein can be more bio available than dairy (which it is a by-product of).....

Whey Protein "is animal based and a derivative of milk production. It is obtained by coagulating and removing the curd (casein) during cheese production. After it is separated from milk, whey contains almost all of the vitamins and minerals, 50% of the milk solids, and 20-24% of the milk proteins.", so it only contains 20-24% of the proteins in milk."

Whey can also cause muscle inflammation, it's actually really bad for you whereas Juice Plus+ complete helps to build the lean muscle, you can eat eggs meat fish and poultry also but it's about building the healthy muscle not inflamed and painful one xx

Juice Plus+ complete uses soy based protein

"Soy Protein:

Is plant based. Using soy is a good way to get less animal food products, which we get too much of. Soy proteins are high in quality and are free from cholesterol and are very low in saturated fat. In addition, there is fiber in soy products along with phytonutrients not present in whey protein.

Soy is a quality equivalent to both casein and various animal proteins and contains high amounts of glutamine and arginine. Recent studies regarding the cardioprotective (heart protection) benefits of soy isoflavones has stimulated an increase in the numbers of people using soy powders. In addition, studies on nitrogen balance indicate that isolated soy is comparable to that of animal proteins.

How does your protein score?

We recommend you consider trying "Juice Plus Complete". It scores in the "EXCELLENT" Category; one serving has a 25% Daily Value, excellent by anyones standards."

Benefits of Juice Plus Complete:

More protein: from a proprietary blend providing a variety of proteins from water-washed soy, peas, chickpeas, tofu, rice, and other plant sources.

More fiber: 8 grams per serving - in a healthful blend of soluble and insoluble fibers from apples, corn, rice and other plant sources.

Less fat: less than ½ gram per 100 calories.

Less sugar: only 8 grams per 100 calories - from organic sugar cane, monk fruit, stevia and other plant sources.

Fewer calories: 120 calories per serving – better for you than just about any other 120 calories you’re likely to eat or drink.

Even the carbs are healthy - 20 grams per serving: our all-natural plant sources of slow releasing, low-glycemic index carbohydrates include quinoa, amaranth, and millet in a proprietary blend of “ancient grains” that have been cultivated for centuries.

It also contains a complete profile of amino acids, which are an important part of muscle growth.
    It doesn't contain gluten, or dairy either which seems ideal for what IzzyRoseDixon is looking for :)
    xx

Sorry not doubting you but you cannot just post, what appears to be a promotional blurb from a site trying to sell the product and its making me suspect that you are a sales agent for this product.

What was asked for was a study or legitimate source of information about whey protein not being easily utilised.

If you are going to recommend this sort of thing to the OP and make claims about how great it is and how much better it is than alternatives surely you have to be able to offer some evidence?
  • sijomial
    Options
    Answer - science. Just google it and you will understand.
    so it only contains 20-24% of the proteins in milk.
    Logic fail - that doesn't mean whey powder is 24% protein!! Looked up a random example - 27.9g of protein per 30g serving.

Snipped the rest as it's a blatant sales pitch. Wondering if Juice+ is a pyramid scheme???

Anyway will leave it there as this isn't what the thread is about, I just hate mis-information.
  • OkRebeccaJay
    Options
    Not sure how information is a sales pitch?? at no point have I offered to sell anything.

Sorry IzzyRoseDixon, I was trying to be helpful, but there is usually at least one person chomping at the bit to tell you that you are wrong, and make you feel like you need a PHD and an army of scientists to offer your opinion.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am in the UK and I get most of my protein from myprotein.com, pretty much mostly run with the Impact Whey Isolate Vanilla as it goes pretty well on its own and with shakes It's also very good value. http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-isolate/10530911.html Also there are loads of discount codes available online for myprotein, I think MP101 gets you 10% off or something. I have a friend referral code aswell if you want to PM me, I won't post on the forums as I'm not sure if it contradicts the guidelines.

You can also not go wrong with Optimum Nutrition Gold is supposed to be very very good, however I think its massively overpriced, if however you go to Holland & Barrett when they have a Buy one Get one for a penny, you could get a good deal.
  • IzzyRoseDixon
    IzzyRoseDixon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I will look into them all :) although more the protein powder suggestions as want to be able to make my own protein bars using some recipes I've found - probably should have said that to begin with. Thanks again :)
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Myprotein does the unflavoured stuff aswell which is very good for making stuff :). Good luck in whatever you chose!
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Oh and I've just received an email from them saying if you enter the code 10YEAR you get a free vest and shaker with every order, its their 10 year anniversary.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Myprotein does the unflavoured stuff aswell which is very good for making stuff :). Good luck in whatever you chose!

I would definitely check out the myprotein website.also agree that the Optimum Nutriton Gold is a great option but can be expensive, last time I bought a 1 kg tub it was from Intersport and was on offer at £30.00 which is about par with others
  • cjordan57
    cjordan57 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hemp powder
  • FishingMachine
    FishingMachine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you research the Team Beachbody & Advocare product lines - they do have gluten free and dairy free products. I have had success with these two lines of protein and supplemetns.