Craziest thing you've tried during a run?

Options
Ran a mile backwards? Ran with weights?

Is there anything crazy you've done during a run, or a fun story that you'd like to share?

Looking for some inspiration!

Replies

• running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bumpidibump
  • 95Tashey95
    95Tashey95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think you need to watch the Friends episode where Phoebe and Rachael go running together. Phoebe runs like a kit, flat out and limbs flailing about. Rachael is embarrassed at first and then secretly copies her but ends up running into the horse of a mounted policeman lol

as far as crazy things I have done - I consider trying to drink at the same time pretty crazy for just because I am so clumsy and I end up wearing most of it.

I no longer take water out on runs!

But other than that (which I know does not really count) I have never tried anything out of the ordinary
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A long time ago wearing one of those silver plastic sweat suits. Thought I'd have heat stroke! Also taking all 5 dogs with me at the same time. Never again, too many poop stops(for them, not me :) )
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to do something more challenging during your run I've done runs where every mile I stopped and did 30 burpees and then kept going. You can repace the burpees with pushups or squats or what have you, but the burpees really made it waaaay more intense. At the time I was training for a Spartan Race, I've got one coming up in a couple months so I'm probably going to strat adding those types of runs back into my trainings
  • samsamsam420
    samsamsam420 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    listening to formula 1 sounds on your ipod makes you run so fast.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I ate pancakes during the Pittsburgh half last month. A bunch of wake and bakes were watching runners and some chick came out of her house eating pancakes, and I yelled "where's mine?" She asked if I wanted some, and I said yes, and she came out with a paper plate with pancakes on it, along with a plastic fork and syrup.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    One time after a winter storm, I ran a 22 mile route that included sliding on ice, losing my shoe on a technical trail, having to scale an embankment because the lake was overflowing over the run path, and having to climb over uninstalled drainage pipe (probably meant to fix aforementioned issue). I met two new runner friends though...and survived.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    nothing crazy like that. I guess i'm boring, but I do plan on running a Triathlon, which includes swimming, biking and running.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I found a dollar on someone's lawn once. I took it.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    lol. i guess my runs are pretty tame. i tend to trip a lot though, and hit the pavement. i've been lucky enough to be able to twist and roll so my *kitten* hits the ground, rather than knees. i'm terrified i'll really injure myself one of these times. i guess i don't pick my feet up very high when i run. also, if i have to pee, i don't really hesitate to pop a squat. on my regular route there's a great place that i've marked several times in a church yard i pass by :happy:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Beer mile.
    http://www.beermile.com/

Ok, so I ran as a team but it is still really freakin hard to chug a beer then run a 1/4 mile as fast as you can.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Get hosed down by a total stranger.
    I was doing an afternoon run and it was quite hot, as I ran past a house a lady and her daughter were watering the lawn and they asked if I wanted a hose down. To their surprise I did a U-turn on their lawn and ran into the stream of water. I got hosed down, thanked them and then went on my way.
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner & never considered doing anything crazy while running, but I once tried to eat a bag of potato chips on the treadmill because I was hungry & didn't want to miss my workout with my buddies.

My friends damn near lost their minds rolling with laughter & to be honest, I didn't then, and still don't see what's so ridiculous.

From their response, I think this qualifies :bigsmile:
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I realized on the treadmill at the gym that my pants had almost slipped off my rear. They were my fat capris--only thing clean--which is not a good idea with satin undies. (Luckily my shirt was long.) So I hiked them up and tied 'em in a knot, without stopping my run. Was much more difficult than it sounds and I got some weird looks, but I avoided mooning the gym!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Beer mile.

Ok, so I ran as a team but it is still really freakin hard to chug a beer then run a 1/4 mile as fast as you can.

Lol, I didn't know you could do it as a team.

My whole triathlon club does it. It's awesome. I did it with Budweiser. Some people did it with their favorite craft beer, lol!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Beer mile.

Lol, I didn't know you could do it as a team.

My whole triathlon club does it. It's awesome. I did it with Budweiser. Some people did it with their favorite craft beer, lol!

It is actually my triathlon club that does it too. I don't think you can officially do it as a team but some in the group do.
    We also do a year end banquest that starts as a running house crawl. We stop at about 8 or 9 houses and run about 15k to the hall where the banquet is.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I think that the craziest run that I recall was one where my running buddy and I were training for a marathon. We were scheduled to run 18 - 20 miles that day and it was predicted to be scorching hot outside. So we started out by saying, "We'll just do what we can do and not worry if we can't get the whole goal distance done." By the end of the run I was pretty sure one (or both) of us was/were going to die. We stopped about a mile or two from our destination so that my buddy could dry heave. We were singing Amazing Grace (actually humming all the words except for those two because the brain could no longer recollect any of the other words). And I'm pretty sure that one of us (not me) was hallucinating that she saw a man who was talking to us on our run. Either that, or the man was present, and my brain didn't see fit to include it in the memory banks because it didn't have anything to do with our survival. Yeah. It was hot. (And yes, we did get in our goal mileage. But I'm not so sure how smart that was.)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I shaved my beard down to a mexican bandito mustache, put on a poncho blanket and a big cheesy sombreo and ran in 85 degree heat. I've dressed like Santa and ran through the driving sleet, I've done a number of obstacle races and I once got off the trail to poop in the woods.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Different kind of crazy, but this is a monstrous glute burn. Watch what they start doing around 1:40
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owi2LUTopRE