I can't seem to get enough protein!

Options

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I weighed in at 181 pounds last Thursday and I'm trying to work my way down to 170 pounds by losing one pound a week. My goals are:

Calories - 1860
    Carbs - 233
    Fat - 62
    Protein - 93
    Sodium - 2,300
    Sugar - 700

I hit all of my goals pretty well (I need to get higher calories more consistently and cut down on sodium more consistently) but I haven't come close to hitting my protein goal once. The closest I've come is 20 too few. Now, I could start eating nothing but tuna, peanut butter, and black beans but I'd rather not. I get the general idea that I need the extra protein to make sure I'm not burning a lot of muscle with that fat but how big of a concern is it really?

Your first problem is thinking that black beans and peanut butter are a good source of protein. They are not. Eat things that are actually high in protein instead. Or supplement with a protein powder if it's really that big of a deal. You can get 50g of protein in just ~250 calories with a small shake by itself (more with milk)

They might not be *ideal* sources or protein, but they do get the job done and peanut butter can be a nice treat every so often.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Eggs for breakfast. Meat for lunch. Fish for dinner. Peanut butter for a snack = More than enough protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There's something called p3. It's a protein pack with 3 sources of protein. Ham cubes or turkey, cheese cubes and almonds. 170 calories and 13 or 14 grams protein. I do egg whites with weight watcher cheese for breakfast. Then green yogurt for lunch everyday. Fiber one protein bars. Usually a scoop of peanut butter every night to help me sleep lol
    imho: OVER PRICED and underwhelming. Lord you could make 10 of them for the price of 1.
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    There's something called p3. It's a protein pack with 3 sources of protein. Ham cubes or turkey, cheese cubes and almonds. 170 calories and 13 or 14 grams protein. I do egg whites with weight watcher cheese for breakfast. Then green yogurt for lunch everyday. Fiber one protein bars. Usually a scoop of peanut butter every night to help me sleep lol
    imho: OVER PRICED and underwhelming. Lord you could make 10 of them for the price of 1.

You think so? At the Walmart here they are only
    $1.50 each.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

$1.50 each.
    okay. 5 of them. with 1/8th the packaging. And probably a higher quality of meat.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    And I thought I struggled with protein. I eat a lot of grilled chicken breast and a lot of tuna. That helps. I have also recently forced myself to like Greek yogurt to get a low cal high protein snack in there. I donate plasma twice weekly and my protein is measured there and some times it is still low. I am currently 122 lbs and my goal is 117g protein daily before exercise.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I weighed in at 181 pounds last Thursday and I'm trying to work my way down to 170 pounds by losing one pound a week. My goals are:

Calories - 1860
    Carbs - 233
    Fat - 62
    Protein - 93
    Sodium - 2,300
    Sugar - 700

I hit all of my goals pretty well (I need to get higher calories more consistently and cut down on sodium more consistently) but I haven't come close to hitting my protein goal once. The closest I've come is 20 too few. Now, I could start eating nothing but tuna, peanut butter, and black beans but I'd rather not. I get the general idea that I need the extra protein to make sure I'm not burning a lot of muscle with that fat but how big of a concern is it really?

Your first problem is thinking that black beans and peanut butter are a good source of protein. They are not. Eat things that are actually high in protein instead. Or supplement with a protein powder if it's really that big of a deal. You can get 50g of protein in just ~250 calories with a small shake by itself (more with milk)
    Black beans and peanut butter are good sources of lots of things, and not a bad protein.

I agree, but that's not what I said. If you're looking to drastically increase your protein intake then they are not good choices. Good choices of fat, carbs, fiber, etc but not from a high protein standpoint - especially on a limited calorie intake.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I usually have a Quest Nutrition protein bar as my afternoon snack. Typically 20 g protein but also 17-19g fiber. Otherwise eggs and cheese are my go-to to get extra protein in. If you are concerned about the fat, I often will use 1 egg with an egg's equivalent in eggbeaters to get more volume and protein without a big calorie or fat hit.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

$1.50 each.

--Can of black beans: <$1/can for 25 grams of protein: that's $0.04 per gram of protein (cheaper still if you use dry beans, but less convenient).
    --Chicken breast: $3/lb (if you're not picky; that's what I pay every week anyway) and about 50 grams of protein; that's about $0.06 per gram of protein.
    --Swiss cheese: about $3 per half pound generic for 61 grams of protein: that's <$0.05 per gram of protein.
    --Gallon of milk (again, assuming you're not picky): $4, for about 48 grams of protein or working out to <$0.085 per gram of protein.
    --Almonds: $9/lb (way more expensive if you get it in fancy packs) for 96 grams of protein, essentially the most expensive common source at over $0.09 per gram of protein.

The p3s (I think that's an Oscar Meyer product) at the nutritional value and walmart price you quoted work out to be about $0.11 per gram of protein. So -- certainly not a cheap source of protein. A convenience item, no doubt. But I agree with the above poster that they're certainly UNDERWHELMING. Rubbery high-sodium deli meat and cheese + a tiny handful of nuts.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Lean meats - turkey and chicken take my protein level over the top almost every day. I also add a protein shake on days when I need extra cals and protein.
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has tons of protein per serving and is an easy snack.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Calories - 1860
    Carbs - 233
    Fat - 62
    Protein - 93
    Sodium - 2,300
    Sugar - 700

Black beans and peanut butter are good sources of lots of things, and not a bad protein.

I agree, but that's not what I said. If you're looking to drastically increase your protein intake then they are not good choices. Good choices of fat, carbs, fiber, etc but not from a high protein standpoint - especially on a limited calorie intake.
    Apologies for the communication breakdown. I was going off your "Eat things that are actually high in protein instead". I'd say: eat them too.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts, steaks, protein powder, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, any meat, really...

I hit my protein goal easily today:

Calories: 1,377
    Protein: 134
    Fat: 80
    Carbs: 45
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've gotten better, but I still struggle to hit my protein goal. I can get close on a non exercise day (usually once a week), but some days it's a bust. I've added protein powder and protein bars to my selections. I increased the amount of breakfast - 2 eggs instead of one or a tablespoon and nuts in my oatmeal. I often have a fruit/milk/protein shake mid-afternoon as a supplement. And I like Simply Protein bars, which aren't too caloric and have 15g of protein. I tried a Quest bar and felt like I was eating dust; I know a lot of people like them. More often I concentrate on keeping my carbs at goal. It's a journey ;-)
  • L4gym
    L4gym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot of carbs and sugar! I usually stay under 25g of crabs and under 10g of sugar. I don't think you need to go as low as I do, but I'd still cut back. I just pile up on a protein mostly: Eggs, turkey bacon, Whey protein, meat, meat and more meat with lettuce or veggies instead of bread.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Man I'm vegetarian and I manage more protein than that on less carbs and calories. What are you eating? Try subbing out some snacks with quest bars or something
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have eggs/egg whites with breakfast, protein smoothie w/ whey protein and greek yogurt after morning workout (over 40 grams of protein), lean meat with lunch, quest bar or cottage cheese for afternoon snack, and lean protein again with dinner.

I also found that it is easier to get enough protein when I eat dinner leftovers for lunch instead of the typical sandwich.
  • HBMairi
    HBMairi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying toup your protein. Once I started looking at my macros, I got my personal trainer to sort out what I needed and we watched what reaction my body had. Took a while to get the macros right, but currently doing 1300 calories, 150g protein, 85g carbs, 40g fat. I have no problem hitting my protein goal, but find it difficult to even get my low amount of carbs in! I guess we all have the things we find difficult to reach.
    My sources of protein are chicken, turkey, egg whites, protein shakes (not exsessive though).For lunch, I take 2 shredded chicken breasts to work and mix it in a bowl of soup from the work canteen, that gets me a fair way along the protein macro each day.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Try: baked beans and hummus with pita bread (it's a complementary protein).
  • ksmits
    ksmits Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. High in protein, low in fat and calories (1 egg white = 20 calories 4 G protein). Make an egg white veggie omelette.

1 whole egg
    2 egg whites
    1 oz light cheddar
    1 cup steamed veggies (chop and throw in after steaming)

254 calories
    30 G protein
    11 g fat
    13 g carbs
    6 g fiber

You'll be full for hours :)