Clean eating UGH

Options
KylaDenay
KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
So on my FB I have people telling me that I eat horribly and that clean eating is the only way to lose weight. Because I eat "dirty" I am not doing it right and I cannot out run a poor diet. I am sooooooo tired of hearing this BS! I eat at a deficit to lose weight. I workout every day or every other day. Me not eating clean is not effecting my workouts. No I have not lost weight in the past 5 months until now. Why? Because I was not eating in a deficit. I overestimated. Everyone seems to think that its because I was not eating clean. I now weigh, measure and count everything. I lost my 1st pound. So BOOM! Clean eating is not the answer.

....end rant. (I will no longer ask for motivation on Facebook)

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Everyone's version of clean or healthy is different, most people mean healthy when they say clean, but I can guarantee if you asked what healthy meant to them they couldn't tell you exactly what it is.

I am not sure why people get hot under the collar about these things, it's just difference of opinions its not fact.
  • triton64
    triton64 Posts: 8
    Options
    So on my FB I have people telling me that I eat horribly and that clean eating is the only way to lose weight. Because I eat "dirty" I am not doing it right and I cannot out run a poor diet. I am sooooooo tired of hearing this BS! I eat at a deficit to lose weight. I workout every day or every other day. Me not eating clean is not effecting my workouts. No I have not lost weight in the past 5 months until now. Why? Because I was not eating in a deficit. I overestimated. Everyone seems to think that its because I was not eating clean. I now weigh, measure and count everything. I lost my 1st pound. So BOOM! Clean eating is not the answer.

Just do your own thing. FB is a cesspool of inferiority complexes, dogma and ****-talking.
  • sueoatley5
    Options
    You are absolutely right, like you I was over estimating and moaning about the weight not coming off so I went out and bought myself some diet scales they helped big time, I was actually shocked at how much I was over estimating. Don't take any notice of your FB friends they are not going through what you are, give yourself a limit and try to stick to it AND don't worry if you slip up for one day we all do that. You are incredibly dedicated in what you are doing and you are succeeding keep up the fantastic work you are an inspiration to us all :) x.

P.S haven't been around due to a poorly relative, all good now so I'm back to it lol
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading after "So on my FB..."

You know that's not a reliable source of advice, don't you.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Why I am not on FB
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My diet mostly consists of bagels, nutter butters, and Hostess cupcakes, I lost 30 pounds in 4 months. Clean eating is healthy and I love people who can survive on green beans and roasted chicken breast, but I can't. And I am okay with that lol.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Totally posted just to get brownie points with the dirty eaters.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It's no one's business what you eat unless you are paying a professional to analyze your diet. People are so opinionated (but that's just my opinion) :blushing:
  • ElliSwan
    ElliSwan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love hearing that other people are losing weight on a "dirty" diet! Seriously, crab rangoons are my lifeline. I can eat healthy most of the time, but I can't cut out my fried little friends.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    What is eating "clean" anyway? My food is clean unless I drop it on the floor. And even then, I'd probably still eat it. Food is food, calories are calories.

I watch my macros like a hawk Monday-Friday and ensure I meet my caloric goal and get as close as I can to my macro goals. On weekends, I eat back all of my exercise calories for the week, which allows me to eat burgers, pizza, chips, ice cream, etc. and I hardly ever look at my macros on weekends. I'm losing weight at a consistent rate. A little too quickly, actually, though I'm not complaining (I eat an average of 1800 calories daily).

I don't ask anyone for motivation because my motivation comes from within myself, but I very rarely discuss my weight loss with anyone outside of MFP other than my husband. These are comments I've gotten from friends and family when I did talk about it:

"Don't even talk to me about how much weight you lost. I hardly eat at all and I can't lose any weight."
    "You eat back exercise calories? Isn't that sort of defeating the whole purpose of exercising?"
    "1800 calories? I could never eat that much!" (from someone that is overweight)
    "Oh no, you should be eating like 1100 calories if you really want to lose weight."
    "You lift weights? Aren't you worried about getting bulky?"
    "Shouldn't you be doing more cardio if your goal is to lose weight?"
    "Oh my God, why are you trying to lose weight? You look fine."
    "You need to stay out of the gym. You're skinny enough as it is."
    "You're getting a little obsessive with logging your food, aren't you?"

It makes me want to shove my progress pictures in their face and challenge them to see how much weight they can squat compared to me. You think you can do it better? Show me.
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    :bigsmile: I ate a 350g of Nutella for lunch and I lost weight this week. Must be the sugar consuming my organs. LOL
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    What is eating "clean" anyway? My food is clean unless I drop it on the floor. And even then, I'd probably still eat it. Food is food, calories are calories.

I watch my macros like a hawk Monday-Friday and ensure I meet my caloric goal and get as close as I can to my macro goals. On weekends, I eat back all of my exercise calories for the week, which allows me to eat burgers, pizza, chips, ice cream, etc. and I hardly ever look at my macros on weekends. I'm losing weight at a consistent rate. A little too quickly, actually, though I'm not complaining (I eat an average of 1800 calories daily).

I don't ask anyone for motivation because my motivation comes from within myself, but I very rarely discuss my weight loss with anyone outside of MFP other than my husband. These are comments I've gotten from friends and family when I did talk about it:

"Don't even talk to me about how much weight you lost. I hardly eat at all and I can't lose any weight."
    "You eat back exercise calories? Isn't that sort of defeating the whole purpose of exercising?"
    "1800 calories? I could never eat that much!" (from someone that is overweight)
    "Oh no, you should be eating like 1100 calories if you really want to lose weight."
    "You lift weights? Aren't you worried about getting bulky?"
    "Shouldn't you be doing more cardio if your goal is to lose weight?"
    "Oh my God, why are you trying to lose weight? You look fine."
    "You need to stay out of the gym. You're skinny enough as it is."
    "You're getting a little obsessive with logging your food, aren't you?"

It makes me want to shove my progress pictures in their face and challenge them to see how much weight they can squat compared to me. You think you can do it better? Show me.

Exactly my point and I agree with all the above. I now feel that I need to prove them all wrong!
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Everytime clean eating comes up I can't help but think the parties on both sides sound a little smug trying to one up each other.

"I eat only pop tarts, pizza, and ice cream" sounds just as stupid as "I eat only free range boiled chicken and broccoli grown by virgin nuns."

It can be a bit like a political debate on MFP lol.

Same can be said for the people who eat 1,200 calories compared to people who eat 2000 calories. Both parties think the other one is absolutely full of it lol.

I try to just state what I do, then talk about how great other people are anyway and then quietly back out of the room before it explodes into gifs!
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Totally posted just to get brownie points with the dirty eaters.

Totally posted, because I am tired of the clean eating talk. I can give a rats *kitten* about getting brownie points from anyone. I do my own thing and will continue to.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ignore it, it'll never change anything. I used to get irate about people posting pictures on Facebook stating it was 'healthy' and bring on the weight loss. The meals often consisted of massive jacket potatoes, cheese, the biggest amount of salad you've ever seen! Loads of olives... yes, a few healty items but so many of them you're talking 800+ calories and it's not only what you're going to eat in the day! Uneducated, not their fault!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Just do your own thing. "WORLD" is a cesspool of inferiority complexes, dogma and ****-talking.

Fixed if for ya..
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what anone says about that. The majority of people are led to believe that any and all "dirty" foods will derail any weight loss plans and make you gain weight if consumed at any time in any amount. This is not true and you've proved it yourself. As long as you are in a caloric deficit and are hitting your macros, then you will lose weight and your body composition will improve. So in reality, you could eat nothing but **** all day and still be in a deficit and hit your macros and still lose weight and have a good body composition. But your insides would be unhealthy so don't do that. I follow IIFYM, or "Flexible Dieting." I eat my whole foods for the day, and if I have some calories left over and a certain macro that is a little short for the day, I'll stick in a childhood snack favorite of mine or some sort of food that people label as "dirty" to fill in that gap but I'm still in a deficit. It is so much easier to stick with because I never feel deprived, and I'm actually much more satiated than one would think. I am losing weight at a steady pace, and I am actually much stronger over the past few weeks as well. So don't worry about what people have to say about it. Do what works best for you, keep being in a caloric deficit, and you can eat your favorite foods and still lose weight.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me is making sure you eat everything off your plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat a deficit and you wil ber totally fine. Heck I still eat pizza, wings,s teak, ice cream and lose it...just make sure it fits.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Don't worry about what anone says about that. The majority of people are led to believe that any and all "dirty" foods will derail any weight loss plans and make you gain weight if consumed at any time in any amount. This is not true and you've proved it yourself. As long as you are in a caloric deficit and are hitting your macros, then you will lose weight and your body composition will improve. So in reality, you could eat nothing but **** all day and still be in a deficit and hit your macros and still lose weight and have a good body composition. But your insides would be unhealthy so don't do that. I follow IIFYM, or "Flexible Dieting." I eat my whole foods for the day, and if I have some calories left over and a certain macro that is a little short for the day, I'll stick in a childhood snack favorite of mine or some sort of food that people label as "dirty" to fill in that gap but I'm still in a deficit. It is so much easier to stick with because I never feel deprived, and I'm actually much more satiated than one would think. I am losing weight at a steady pace, and I am actually much stronger over the past few weeks as well. So don't worry about what people have to say about it. Do what works best for you, keep being in a caloric deficit, and you can eat your favorite foods and still lose weight.

ITA, but if I was eating nothing but **** every day, I can guaran-damn-tee you I'd have a caloric deficit. LOL! YUCK!

:flowerforyou: