5 Ways to $ave - because buying all new clothes gets $$$

Options
#1 Learn Basic Sewing Skills (hand sewing or machine)
-When I lost, all of my dresses, pants, skirts were longer since before they'd been filled out with my stomach. I've had to re-hem everything, but it's easily done by hand! You can pick up many techniques on YouTube or Pinterest!

OR No-Sew shortcuts/products!
-Hem pants using iron-on hem tape ($2 at fabric store) Buy a pack of button extenders for jeans ($3 at fabric store) so you can make those jeans and work pants last longer.

#2 Thrift store/Clothes Swap with friends/Stalk the ads/coupons
-Check your local thrift store for sales. Mine has 50% off day once a month!

-I have a Kohl's card and I only shop when I get the 30% coupon, usable on clearance racks. Great way to get quality exercise gear like good supportive bras and yoga pants/socks

-Take a bag of your old clothes to your friend's house and trade item for item! Take the rest to the thrift store. Mine gives me a coupon to shop when I donate.

#3 Re-purpose everything!
-In Oct. I bought all new long sleeve shirts from Old Navy, by December I was swimming in them! There's a DIY on Pinterest to easily turn long sleeve shirts into cardigans! Very little sewing involved.
-I follow a lot of 'refashion/repurpose' blogs for inspiration!

#4 Be selective about what you buy
-I buy a lot of dresses now, because they are easy to take in/hem, and they fit for a long time. Typically they are fitted up top and more flowy at the bottom. If they get loose, cinch your waist with a belt.

-Buy STRETCH everything! I live in yoga pants at home. Stretchy dresses (ones with a little give, not fully spandex/fitted!) will last you through several sizes with a belt. Stretchy fabric wears out after a while, but by then you'll probably be sized out of it!

-Look at the cut/hardware when buying clothes if you will alter them yourself. I end up having so many items to alter that I don't buy many dresses and skirts with zippers...takes too long. I buy straight cut/A-line style often because you sew two straight lines and you're done taking it in! (My one black stretch skirt was originally size 20! And I've taken it in on each side so now it's a size 14. That's a good 3" on each side. Also I've found that I go through pants much quicker than dresses because pants are fitted. It doesn't matter if the dress's skirt is looser, you can't tell!

#5 Wear from season-to-season
-Now that you're smaller, you're going to get cold in warm temps anyway! Keep those long sleeves in your closet. And in winter, add tights and a cardigan to short sleeve/sleeveless dresses. I tend to keep my clothes pretty season-neutral in color and then have accessories in seasonal colors (bright belts/shoes in summer and muted/dark colors in winter).

Replies

• pyramid918
    pyramid918 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also! Consignment shops seem to be a big thing around me so I'm assuming they are near everyone else too ;) Last season's clothes at the cheap AND the ability to sell my stuff that doesn't fit anymore!
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just started to replace my wardrobe its both good and bad. Great that I need smaller stuff, bad since it makes my wallet hurt sometimes
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    What a great post...excellent advice!

I've used all of these except for the learning to sew bit ;-) I am afraid I'm just not cut out for that one.

One thing I have noticed as I've cycled from 22/24 and 3X down to current 12-14 and L, is that I can make it on a much smaller (no pun intended) wardrobe than I used to feel necessary. I have 4 pair of jeans currently (3 dark blue denim, 1 red) and in the past I usually had two dozen at a time. I never feel limited in clothing options and I don't even have to do laundry more often. It continues to amaze me ;-)
  • lechesucio
    lechesucio Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What a great post...excellent advice!

I've used all of these except for the learning to sew bit ;-) I am afraid I'm just not cut out for that one.

One thing I have noticed as I've cycled from 22/24 and 3X down to current 12-14 and L, is that I can make it on a much smaller (no pun intended) wardrobe than I used to feel necessary. I have 4 pair of jeans currently (3 dark blue denim, 1 red) and in the past I usually had two dozen at a time. I never feel limited in clothing options and I don't even have to do laundry more often. It continues to amaze me ;-)

I agree with that!! Downsizing makes you realize what you can do without. A basic set of gray and black skirts and pants and a set of tops you can mix and match and change with different accessories. At least most accessories don't need to be downsized!!! :D
  • lechesucio
    lechesucio Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @pyramid918 consignment shops are the best! There's a chain near me called Upscale Cheapskate (hate the name, love the store) and they have top brands for ridic cheap.