Run Walk Run Method/training vs. racing

Options
I am on week 8 of C25K and have worked my way up to running non-stop for 25 minutes at 12:30 min/mile (started out at 15:30 min/mile!!) I must admit my last run was pretty difficult, and I wanted to stop many times during. I've been reading about this interval method and it makes a lot of sense.

My question is this: is the intention to use this every time you run...even for races? The "magic mile" calculator on the Jeff Galloway site is confusing to me and I don't think I run far enough for it to matter any way.

What is your experience?

Replies

• twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is just my experience.... I did the c25k program and when I finished I could run about 3.5k in the allocated time. I then worked on adding 1/2k per week to this distance until I hit 8k and then jumped to 1k being added per week. For the last couple of months I've been doing one long run, one interval run and one tempo run per week. I am now training for a half marathon and along with other gym work it's pretty much the same 3 kinds of runs.

Not sure if that helped and I'm no expert, but all the best and enjoy :)
  • twopeas2
    Options
    Oh and for 'races' I don't walk. Well not so far anyway ;)
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HR monitor while you run?
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just used Galloway's magic mile run:walk ratio for 4 months of training and my goal half marathon. I finished in 2:07:40 for a 9:45 pace. If you train that way, I say race that way.

My long run training pace was around 11:30 and up to about 5 I was staying between 8:30-9:00. All paces were using a 4:1 run to walk.

Have you run a magic mile yet? What does the calculator spit out for you? The paces that it spits out are what you should shoot for for training runs and what you would be able to expect at each particular race distance... 5K, 10K, Half, Full, using whatever ratio it gives you based on your magic mile.

--I must admit my last run was pretty difficult, and I wanted to stop many times during. --
    The walk breaks are a big mental boost for me. I know I have PLANNED to walk, rather feeling like I am spent and HAVE to walk. Makes the longer runs much more enjoyable when I don't feel like I am killing myself.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use Jeff Galloway's run/walk method for 10 K and 1/2 marathon races. I usually do a straight run for a 5 K, unless I am sore or have just run a longer race. I have met and spoken with Mr. Galloway and he gave me an "Ah-ha" moment when he spoke of enjoying the run or the race. It is not about the time unless you make it so. At my age (59) I am not going to beat anyone except myself. If I am killing myself for a time, I am not enjoying the run. He has great perspective and a wonderful attitude.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP Have you run a 5K yet?
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    OP Have you run a 5K yet?

No, I haven't yet. I can make it 2.02 miles in 25 minutes (my last run). This week the program says to run 28 minutes each time (not including warm up/cool down).

I'm not worried about how long it takes me to finish a 5K race...it's more about running the whole way vs. running and walking. I would guess most people don't take walk breaks during such a short race? But since I'm a beginner...it doesn't feel short to me! LOL
  • ohiotubagal
    Options
    Have you run a magic mile yet? What does the calculator spit out for you? The paces that it spits out are what you should shoot for for training runs and what you would be able to expect at each particular race distance... 5K, 10K, Half, Full, using whatever ratio it gives you based on your magic mile.

I haven't done a magic mile yet. I was pretty confused about the procedure after seeing the calculator on the website. Since I can only run 2 miles so far, is that enough to do the time trial? And I don't know what acceleration-glider is. I think I need to read those books first.
  • badbcatha05
    Options
    If you can run a mile, I would say you could do a magic mile... that's all it is... run a mile as hard as you can, but no puking.

I don't have the books, what I have determined from web searches is that the acceleration-gliders is just a way to warm up. Gradually accelerate to speed, maintain a bit, and gradually slow down.... Rather than a sprinter out of the blocks get up and go with a sudden stop at the end. Do a few of those, maybe a 1/2-3/4 of a mile if you are only doing a total of 2 for now. Then run your mile.

Punch the time it takes you to do the mile into the calculator. It will give you your run:walk ratio (mine for instance was 4:1 more recently I ran it and got 4: 35 seconds.) Below that the boxes will contain other times and paces. Your training pace to maintain leading up to a 5K. I can about guarantee it's going to be slower than you expect... that's fine, it's supposed to be. That is the pace that you will maintain using the run:walk ratio it gives you. You will also see what it thinks you will be able to do a 5K in...

Don't worry that you are "only" running 2 miles right now-- everyone starts somewhere and don't worry about your overall pace... like I said, I'm betting it's slower than you expect. Use the ratio for a month or so, and then do another magic mile and punch it in the calculator. Don't worry about the speed for training runs, just enjoy being out there!
  • ohiotubagal
    Options
    If you can run a mile, I would say you could do a magic mile... that's all it is... run a mile as hard as you can, but no puking.

I don't have the books, what I have determined from web searches is that the acceleration-gliders is just a way to warm up. Gradually accelerate to speed, maintain a bit, and gradually slow down.... Rather than a sprinter out of the blocks get up and go with a sudden stop at the end. Do a few of those, maybe a 1/2-3/4 of a mile if you are only doing a total of 2 for now. Then run your mile.

Punch the time it takes you to do the mile into the calculator. It will give you your run:walk ratio (mine for instance was 4:1 more recently I ran it and got 4: 35 seconds.) Below that the boxes will contain other times and paces. Your training pace to maintain leading up to a 5K. I can about guarantee it's going to be slower than you expect... that's fine, it's supposed to be. That is the pace that you will maintain using the run:walk ratio it gives you. You will also see what it thinks you will be able to do a 5K in...

Don't worry that you are "only" running 2 miles right now-- everyone starts somewhere and don't worry about your overall pace... like I said, I'm betting it's slower than you expect. Use the ratio for a month or so, and then do another magic mile and punch it in the calculator. Don't worry about the speed for training runs, just enjoy being out there!

Thank you! The way you explained it makes sense. You are right...the training pace does seem really slow...but it must work if so many people like it.
  • twopeas2
    Options
    I am slow lol
  • sylnova
    sylnova Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've been using Galloway's method for a while now, but I have never run the Magic Mile. I have one question: are you supposed to run the whole mile or should you use your run/walk ratio and push harder? Thanks!
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've been using Galloway's method for a while now, but I have never run the Magic Mile. I have one question: are you supposed to run the whole mile or should you use your run/walk ratio and push harder? Thanks!

You run the entire mile for the magic mile, with no walking.
  • jfreela1
    jfreela1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use the method of run 5 min then walk 1 minute. My times actually improved and injuries went down.
  • kdeanosu
    kdeanosu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • badbcatha05
    Options

You run the entire mile for the magic mile, with no walking.

Run it all-- no walking, no puking.
  • sylnova
    sylnova Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What is your experience?

The Galloway approach makes sense from a philosophical perspective, but I've found that once I was comfortable running the use of walk breaks is uncomfortable to me.

I finished C25K and then used a C25K+ podcast series for a few weeks, essentially conditioning myself to run the 5K a little faster. I then moved onto a Bridge to 10K podcast series and found that the walk breaks had become quite disruptve to me. After a one minute walk break it'll take me another minute to get comfortable running again.

The galloway calculator suggests 4 minute run, 35 seconds walk, which would leave me in a situation where I'm uncomfortable for nearly 40% of a run.

For me, it's more comfortable to just go out and run, and if I feel the need to slow my pace down a little I'll do that. If slowing it down means walking, then yes I will, and I generally do to take a gel or a mouthful of water, but it's no more than a few paces for me.

For me, Galloway method just gets in the way of a good run.

I'd also observe that the forecast times on the calculator are all quite conservative, my 10K PB is 3 minutes better thanit suggests and my 5K PD is about a minute and a half better.
  • TMattP
    TMattP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The most important thing in couch to 5k is to complete the program.

After that just run. Once you start to run as other people have mentioned slowing to a walk may disrupt your rhythm. Needing to walk during your run is not failure. It doesn't make it a bad run.

The hardest thing I found when doing this program is when to listen to your body and walk and when to push on that little bit more.

Now I can run. I'm not fast, but I get there. Don't know anything about miracle/magic/galloway miles etc and not really bothered.