Over eating/bad eating vs "make up" exercise!

Options
Ok, I've seen, read, watched and heard a lot about this and a bunch of it has contradicted the rest, so I'd appreciate YOUR opinions...If you eat crappy, fatty, empty calories, tonnes of carbs and basically lots of crap one day and DON'T exercise, can you really make up for it by working out harder the next day?

Personally, it sounds like a load of bs to me, but I'm not an expert...

Replies

• madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bumpin'
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    SOunds like crap to me. I don't workout to eat. I workout to live.
  • jill_wa
    Options
    Its crap. 80% of weight loss comes from diet not exercise. Exercise to be healthy and increase your metabolism. Eat whole foods in smaller amounts. As Michael Pollan said "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." No boxed foods or canned foods where you can help it.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Here what it is... If you have ONE bad day with all those thing once every 2 week and constantly workout and you are super good with your eating during your other days, you'll be ok. In a way you are training your body to feed off the healthy good food and have it utilize those foods are a better source of nutrition. in other words, you put into your body what you wanna get out of it. If you wanna be slow and sluggish, eat high fatty foods and you'll feel that way. But if you wanna be a lean mean sexy machine, you need to treat you body like a temple and fill it with good food. Soon enough you wont even want to eat the bad gross junk food anymore becuase your body will tell you it's not good for you wether it give you a belly ache or you dont have the best BM after you eat it. And trust me, i know from experience!! Good luck!!!!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    It definitely doesn't hurt to work out hard the next day but the only thing that gets lighter from that is your guilt!

The best thing to do the day after a binge-y day is to drink a lot of water and increase fruits and veggie intake...in addition to a few extra minutes on a treadmill. It flushes your system and also changes your mind set. Your body needs WHOLE FOODS to fuel any kind of work out.
  • MissGothKitty
    Options
    Thank you! I cut out processed and canned foods ages ago...If it's chemical based, it's not meant to be digested by my body. I'm usually really great about it, but wasn't sure about if I binge what to do the next day or if anything would make a difference. So thank you all for helping to clarify...
  • MissGothKitty
    Options
    Thank you! I cut out processed and canned foods ages ago...If it's chemical based, it's not meant to be digested by my body. I'm usually really great about it, but wasn't sure about if I binge what to do the next day or if anything would make a difference. So thank you all for helping to clarify...
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes but we all do, its life. Its just guilt that make us do though things. if you do it over and over then that will definitely reflect on the scale.
  • DidiEndless
    Options
    I've done it before, and trust me, it doesn't work haha
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    I keep the two separate. My workouts are the same regardless of whether or not I kept to my diet... for the following reasons:

1. My workouts are something I look forward to and enjoy. I don't want to get in the mindset of thinking that my workout has to be longer or harder to "punish" myself for not sticking to my diet. I also don't want to start burning myself out during my workouts which may negatively impact my future workouts.

2. Similarly, I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking every time I fail to stick to my diet that, "It's okay, I can just workout harder to burn it off." It's too easy to make excuses and start failing your diet for good... what happens when you have that cheesecake (or whatever) but then can't make it to the gym afterward? Your diet should reflect a manageable approach to a healthier life... and not a constant test of willpower.

3. Your metabolism doesn't work that way!
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I keep the two separate. My workouts are the same regardless of whether or not I kept to my diet... for the following reasons:

1. My workouts are something I look forward to and enjoy. I don't want to get in the mindset of thinking that my workout has to be longer or harder to "punish" myself for not sticking to my diet. I also don't want to start burning myself out during my workouts which may negatively impact my future workouts.

2. Similarly, I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking every time I fail to stick to my diet that, "It's okay, I can just workout harder to burn it off." It's too easy to make excuses and start failing your diet for good... what happens when you have that cheesecake (or whatever) but then can't make it to the gym afterward? Your diet should reflect a manageable approach to a healthier life... and not a constant test of willpower.

3. Your metabolism doesn't work that way!

Thx for this response. It makes sense!