How long did it take you

Options
Hi everyone,

On this site I have seen so much success and people who have seen dramatic weight loss and change. You and your success have motivated me! I was wondering how long did it take you? What do you feel was key tonyour success ?

I've been trying to change my approach to focus more on being healthy, rather than obsrssing about my weight loss. Hoping that this way i will make healthy changes and the weight loss will come.

I would really love to hear your story, how you did it and how long did it take?

Replies

• jacj46
    jacj46 Posts: 46
    Options
    It's easier when you weight more (I think) ... I started 10/06/2010 and made it this far ... Logging really helps ... good luck
    :smile:

Starting weight was 300 even
    last Wednesday I was 264
    I just watch my calorie intake ... I have had 3 free days ... walking a little ...
  • tgch123
    tgch123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    took me 50 days to lose 15 lbs. I owe it to my fellow mfp friends who are also my workout buddies. They held me accountable, I felt I had to be honest about all of my food diary entries.

Oh and I had a 50 day log in streak!
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I started April of 2010, I am down 24 pounds, fell off the band wagon for a little while but I'm climbing back up!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Great question - looking forward to reading more answers!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55 lbs since May, 1 2010. When I started it was a consistent 2 lbs a week. Now it's around 1 lb or less a week. I have around 25 more to go. I feel good it. In the beginning I couldn't lose fast enough. But now I have relaxed a little about it. It will take as long as it takes to get the rest off. Mainly I want to lose healthy.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have been on for four months and have lost 15 lbs (half of my 30 lb) goal. Logging everything, even condiments is really important and measuring everything. Also - I eat my exercise calories, I was trying to not at first, but did not lose anything.

Also reading the message boards gives you so many good healthy ideas.

good luck!! Add me if you want a friend!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    5 months--34 pounds. Recording/logging food was key as well as increased physical activity. Nothing particularly special to this approach.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I lost close to 60 pounds in 5 months, 30 in the first 2 months. In some ways I had it easier than some in that I was unemployed at the time, which gave me extra time to prepare food--that and I knew how to do it because of my education and experience.

However, I did all the work myself. How? Rigid portion control, careful food preparation and choices, and effective exercise. Other than making sure to eat regularly and to refuel my workouts, I did not significantly change my meal frequency, did not pay attention to water intake, drank diet soda, and really did not increase my protein intake all that much--I averaged under 20% of calories from protein and never ate more than 1g of protein per kg body weight per day. Oh, and I weighed myself every day).

My most effective tools were my digital scales (both food and bathroom) and the MFP food logs. Measuring and logging food is hard work at first--especially since most of my meals were from home recipes. It meant measuring and looking up the nutritional info for every ingredient, making the dish, estimating the portion size to meet my meal goal, etc. At every larger meal, I loaded my plate, then divided all the leftovers into meal-sized portions and put them away before I sat down to eat. I used vegetables and salad to "bulk up" my meals, so their was more volume w/out adding big calories.

My wife's story was different. She wasn't able to work out as hard or as much, and refuses to measure foods and doesn't like to change her eating habits. So when she did her "program" in 2009, she lost zip. She tried again this last summer and was more conscientious (and more willing to listen to me). It took her almost 7 weeks to lose pound 1, but she finally lost about 10-12 over the following 10 weeks.

Sometimes it can go fast, sometimes it goes slow.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I lost 250 lbs in3 years. Consistency with diet and exercise has been the key. I don't follow anything fancy just burn more cals than I take in. The last 30 has been very challenging, so close to goal sometimes it'd hard to stay focused. But l am persistant, not perfect so hope to get to goal by June.

So hang in there, it can be done. Just have to want it andbe realistic and honest about what you want vs. What you do.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks when I started on MFP. This website and the support it offers is a big deal! My advice, stay motivated, stay focused and think of it as changing your life not just a diet because you will have days that you eat more than others and that is OK. My calories vary from day to day but I try to stay within a 1400 calorie range. I eat what I want but in moderation and I try to make healthier food choices. Just because you went over your calories one day, doesn't mean your all in and you have blown it, just keep moving forward. Logging in everyday is a must, and reading stories keeps you motivated and helps a lot. If you ask for help, you will get it here! Good luck.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks when I started on MFP. This website and the support it offers is a big deal! My advice, stay motivated, stay focused and think of it as changing your life not just a diet because you will have days that you eat more than others and that is OK. My calories vary from day to day but I try to stay within a 1400 calorie range. I eat what I want but in moderation and I try to make healthier food choices. Just because you went over your calories one day, doesn't mean your all in and you have blown it, just keep moving forward. Logging in everyday is a must, and reading stories keeps you motivated and helps a lot. If you ask for help, you will get it here! Good luck.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I started my health journey on 7/17/10, and found MFP 7/23. So far on MFP I have lost 45, and 8 prior to MFP for a total of 53 pounds in 51/2 months. For me the biggest key is eatting 3 regular meals and a snack per day. I used to skip meals, and sometimes entire days without eatting. I started to pay attention to what I was eatting, and how much. I exercise a moderate amount, usually walking, resistance bands and Wii Fit Plus. MFP takes the "PITA" factor out of keeping a food journal. You also get to meet interesting people from all over the world. You can exchange ideas and get assistance from everyone. I really like the fact that there is NOT someone looking over your shoulder telling you that you are eatting all wrong or that you should be in the gym 3 hours a day 6 days a week. I am about 1/3 of my way to my goal.

Good Luck on your journey!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started at 185 pounds and lost my first 5 just by logging my foods religiously. My next 20 pounds came off by logging my food (and adjusting my portion sizes which were WAY off), and working out 5 days or more a week (the 30 Day Shred really kick started my weight loss, but more importantly my INCH loss). I hit my original goal and have decided to keep going in 5 pound increments (I'm currently going for 150 pounds). Every once in a while I look at what I'm eating and try to skim off a few calories (for example, I now eat my morning almond butter on a rice thin instead of a rice cake, which eliminates almost 50 calories). Best of luck!
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    it has taken me since sept to lose 17lbs, this site is fantastic for keeping your motivation going...just keep going for groups ...that is what keeps me working harder..i am in a valentines group right now no pressure everyone has diff goals but hey we are all going to kick the goals *kitten*
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I started on this site June 2010 and have lost 32 lbs. and want to lose about 20 more lbs. I lose really slow, but have been concentrating on what works for me. I think we are all different and what works for me may not work for you. My goal has been to stay under calories everyday and exercising 6-7 times a week....drinking at least 7 cups of water a day. I still eat things I like , but have learned to eat them in moderation. I don't eat tons of chocolate candy, chips, and nachos like use to and really don't have them at all, but I still have Mexican food once a week....I just eat a few chips and 1/2 my lunch or dinner. I feel like this is a lifestyle I can life with and don't every feel like I'm on a diet. I really didn't see what I was eating each day until I started logging, so logging everything I eat is the key for me and setting weekly goals.
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 lbs so far, 23 lbs since joining MFP at the end of Sept. The first bit I lost within the first month. Then only lost a pound every two weeks. It was my own fault. I was exercising too much and not eating my cals back. I am now doing it properly and going strong. I log absolutely every thing, food and exercise. If you are going to eat your exercise cals back, make sure you are not overestimating your cal burn.