Do I mention diet to Dr?

Options
Hi everybody. So I've been on MFP daily for over 2 years now, except for a couple months when I didn't have internet access. The entire time I have been reducing my calories and have had pretty good success losing.

I am going to the Doctor tomorrow because I have been really weak, exhausted, dizzy when I stand, and tired. It got so bad about a week ago that I just lay on my bed for 3 days straight and didn't move. This behavior is extremely unusual for me. My personal opinion is that it is a combination of anemia (I've had it in the past), and exhaustion because I graduate from college in 1 week. Started taking iron pills and it is helping some but not a lot. I'm worried that it could be blood pressure or something else, I guess I will find out tomorrow.

My question is do I tell the doctor that I have been eating at on average a 500 calorie deficit for 2 years? Is it ok for someone to do that for so long? I've been losing very slowly, which is what I wanted, but this whole exhaustion thing has me wondering if I did myself in.

It's not like I eat super low calorie or anything, MFP started me at over 2000 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week, and now I'm around 1800.

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My opinion, always be honest with your doctor. They cannot properly treat you if they do not have all the information.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Yes, be honest with your doctor. It's not like you're eating at a massive deficit. 1800 seems perfect for you and you've had success with it. Now if you were only eating like 1000 cals per day or something, you could attribute that to your exhaustion. It's probably something not related to your diet (since you have been fine and successful for the past 2 years) but tell your doctor everything just in case.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, I guess I'm kind of scared that the Dr. will tell me to stop counting calories or something, which I would like to continue doing!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, I guess I'm kind of scared that the Dr. will tell me to stop counting calories or something, which I would like to continue doing!

The doctor can give you advice, but he's not in charge of you.

I'd like to see if he actually notices and comments on your weight loss (it proves he actually looks at your chart).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Tell him. He should be encouraging, especially if you're still overweight.

Just an idea- but make sure you're not dehydrated. It might help the lethargy.

Good job on the slow losses and persistence!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Unless you were recovering from a severe ED, most doctors will not tell you that as long as it is healthy and not obsessive. Letting you doctor know can save you a world of trouble. Say you get your yearly blood panel, and numbers are off...knowing you are restricting can help the Dr. and save you the aggravation of unneeded tests. Restricting can also throw female hormones out of whack and multiple appt. with the ob can be saved by being honest.

Also always remember, your Dr. Works for you....you should not fear what your doctor will tell you to do, unless you believe you are doing wrong. I always question my doctor, but on the same token I go to her because I trust her and she is the professional.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think it is always important to be straight with your doctor about your nutrition and your exercise.

HOWEVER, not all doctors know a lot about nutrition, so that kinda sucks. I think, in general, more doctors are learning the importance of it though and are learning up on it.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Counting calories and losing weight slowly is a LOT healthier than obesity, so you are doing a wonderful job.
  • marialynn2014
    marialynn2014 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That's going to be one of the things your doc will discuss with you. I would actually print out your diary for the past week or two and show him/her. Then, they will give suggestions based on that, and they will run some blood tests especially b/c you've been anemic in the past. Expect that they will also do orthostatic bps, to make sure your dizziness isn't coming from that. (BP laying, sitting, standing one after the other).
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! And definitely tell your doctor. You've been losing weight with a moderate, sustainable deficit. He or she should know that – and, hopefully, praise you for it.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Be forthright with your doctor. Besides, as others have said, 1800 calories is not a huge calorie deficit.

Just a stab, but I assume the iron supplements were prescribed by a doctor. Problems can arise from too high a dosage taken for too long a time.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Mention it to your doctor. If he gives you hassle for it (without there being some medical condition that makes your diet unhealthy, for whatever reason), find a new doctor.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think it is always important to be straight with your doctor about your nutrition and your exercise.

HOWEVER, not all doctors know a lot about nutrition, so that kinda sucks. I think, in general, more doctors are learning the importance of it though and are learning up on it.

A good doctor always knows they can learn more, my doctor used to quote the breakfast and starvation mode nonsense. Told her about some articles and she researched...she came back with OK, but I think breakfast may just start the day right for many and I am your doctor so malnutrition and hair falling out is more important to me than weight. Her view now is starvation mode is malnutrition and nothing to do with weight. I adore my doctor because she never takes offense when asked a question and is always willing to learn. She did tell me last time to limit fat, I asked if my cholesterol or other numbers were off. She said no, so I asked why would I limit fat, she then said...there's something else I can read, huh?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Not only should you tell your doctor, you should print out some sample days so that your doc can see what's going on with your diet.
  • jennifer_a00
    Options
    Thank you everybody. I've been been overweight since I was 8, only problem I've ever had was extreme anemia as a teenager, and then again with each of my pregnancies. Haven't been to the doctor since before I started losing weight, and I bought the iron pills at the grocery store ( kind of a self diagnosis) but have only been taking for a week. Before that I was just taking a multivitamin and trying to eat iron rich foods.
  • jennifer_a00
    Options
    I'm going to print out some days for him. That's a great idea, thanks, it will make it easier to explain!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, it might help for you to print out the last week or so of your food diary and bring them with you. If your issue has something to do with how you're eating that'll be the best way to pinpoint where the problem is. Also this would prove that you're eating plenty and not starving yourself so the suggestion to stop dieting would be off the table.

And really there's no need to be scared of your Doc. Pretty sure he/she is going to be happy with your weight loss (assuming this is the same doc you normally go to) and would only tell you to stop doing something in particular if it's bad for your health.