Dessert Recipes

Options
tlhorsley
tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
We are having people over twice this coming week. I need to serve a dessert both nights. Anyone have any good, healthy-ish, low in sugar dessert recipes that you would recommend?

I looked on hungrygirl.com and she has a misssissippi mud pie recipe that looks good. Anyone ever tried it?

I want to try to be "good" while my guests are here but don't want to serve them "blah" desserts.

Replies

• HeartsTurtle
    Options
    You could always try and get that "No Pudge" brownie mix and make those. And for those who want to spend the extra calories they can have vanilla ice cream with it!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've got a few - depends on what you're looking for. Here are three I've made up. I also have a chocolate cake/brownie that's pretty good, too, if you'd like that.

Banana Won Tons

Cooking spray
    1 banana
    ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (to your taste)
    1 packet Splenda
    ½ Tablespoon sugar (I like Sugar in the raw)
    12 won ton wrappers

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mash banana, pumpkin spice, vanilla, and splenda. Lay won ton wrappers out. Place small dollop in center of each wrapper. Lightly wet edges of wrapper with water, fold over to make a triangle. Push edges together or mash edges with fork.

Spray cooking sheet with cooking spray. Place filled wrappers on sheet. Spray all with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 12- 14 minutes. If won tons haven’t quite brown enough, turn them for the last minute of cooking.

Makes 12 pieces

Tip: Be careful not to overfill the wontons – the filling will seep out.

Serving Suggestion: For a big finish, drizzle with no-sugar chocolate syrup or thin ribbons of melted caramel. Or dust the serving platter with powdered sugar. Serve with a non-fat vanilla yogurt for dipping.

Options:
    • Exchange bananas for drained canned peaches or pears
    • Hold the sugar on top, brush with an egg white before baking

Nutritional Tidbit: Bananas are rich in Vitamin B6 and supply 11% of your daily value of of potassium. Lack of B6 can cause weakness, irritability, and insomnia.

Almond Cakester

Cooking Spray
    2 cups unsalted almonds
    1/2 cup no-sugar maple syrup
    1 packet Splenda
    1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie spice
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 egg white
    1 Tablespoon powdered sugar

Serves: 10

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spread almonds in a shallow baking dish, toast in oven for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cover baking dish with tin foil. Spray with cooking spray.

In a bowl, beat egg white until very soft peaks. Add syrup, Splenda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix well. Fold in almonds. Pour mixture into baking dish, spread to edges. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool. Dust with powdered sugar, cut into squares, serve.

Tip: This is a great, sweet recipe for diabetics or those with a low-carb diet.

Options:
    • Swap cashews for almonds
    • Add a dash of vanilla around the holidays
    • If pumpkin pie spice is unavailable, use cinnamon with a dash of nutmeg
    • Top with whipped cream

Angel Wings Cake

Cooking Spray
    ½ cup all-purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    7 egg whites
    1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    ¼ cup white sugar
    ½ cup Splenda
    2 tablespoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Mix together flour and baking powder in a bowl. In a separate, large bowl, beat egg whites with handheld mixer until they become frothy. Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form. Slowly fold in sugar and Splenda. Add vanilla. With hand mixer on medium, sprinkle flour mixture into egg mixture 1 tablespoon at a time. Pour into bundt cake pan and bake 25 minutes.

Tip: Make sure you beat the eggs until they form very stiff peaks. Otherwise, you’ll have a delicious, but very dense, cake.

Serving Suggestion: Slice and serve with strawberries and whipped cream.

Nutritional Tidbit: By swapping some of the sugar for Splenda, you cut calories without adding fat.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    The problem with Hungry girl is artificial sweetner and not everyone likes that. Another great website is "cook yourself thin". Google it and search dessert recipes. Ingredients you may already have in your pantry. Good luck.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Baked apples are healthy and delicious, Bananas drizzled with chocolate syrup. Greek yogurt with fresh fruit reduction angel food cake is low fat,too. Low fat pudding? Hope I helped!
  • Weeble91
    Options
    brownies (even the real kind...you can have a square for under 200 cals), Edys slow churned ice cream with a warm cookie...lots of stuff, just eat in a serving and be sure to send any leftovers home with your guests!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I have found some nice recipes on SparkRecipes.com ... Enjoy! :happy:
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    angelfood cakes! fresh berries that your guests can dip in chocolate themselves... baked apples or poached pears... both so good
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    orange lemon cake

Serves 10
    Calories per serving: 222

For the cake
    3 large eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups peeled butternut squash, finely grated
    1 cup self-rising flour
    1 1/4 cups finely ground almonds
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 oranges
    2 lemons

For the middle
    3 tablespoons store-bought lemon curd
    RECIPES FROM THIS EPISODE
    Marinated Lamb Kebabs With Yogurt Sauce
    Mediterranean Chicken
    All "Cook Yourself Thin" Recipes
    Main "Cook Yourself Thin" Site

For the icing
    3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
    2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
    2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease the base and sides of two 7-inch springform pans with a little vegetable oil. Place a circle of parchment paper into the bottom of the tins and grease again.

3. In a large mixing bowl, using a handheld or standing mixer, beat the eggs and the sugar for a full 3 minutes, until pale and light. Add the grated butternut squash and mix until well combined.

4. Zest the oranges and lemon with a Microplane grater and add to the flour, ground almonds, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine the mixture.

5. Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes.

6. While the cakes are cooking, make the icing: Using the back of a wooden spoon, beat the softened butter with the sugar until it has the consistency of a stiff paste. Add the orange juice, and beat again to combine and smooth. Refrigerate until needed.

7. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife all around the edges of both cakes.

8. Unmold the cakes onto a wire rack and remove the paper on the base. Flip them back onto their bases again so that they can cool right side up on the wire rack and avoid getting any lines.

9. Chill the cakes in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.

10. Top one cake layer with lemon curd, then top with the other cake layer.

11. Spread the icing over the top of the cake, and decorate with a little orange and lemon zest.
  • Zurichnee
    Zurichnee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Another great website is "cook yourself thin". Google it and search dessert recipes. Ingredients you may already have in your pantry. Good luck.

I saw the cook yourself thin show on Food Network today for the first time. If I could get all the ingredients in my town for those recipes - I'd so cook them! Awesome and they all look good! (nothing fancy for ingredients, but I live in a remote town and so grocery choices are limited).
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Bites
    Brighten up your entertaining menu with a platterful of make-ahead berry cheesecakes.

Servings: 12
    Prep: 20 mins
    Total: 4 hrs 45 mins

1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® Smart Start® Strong Heart Toasted Oat cereal (crushed to 2/3 cup)
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    1 1/2 tubs (8 oz. each) light cream cheese or light cream cheese spread with strawberries, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon grated orange peel
    1/4 cup refrigerated egg product or 1 egg
    24 fresh raspberries
    Currant jelly (optional)

Directions
    1. Combine KELLOGG'S SMART START STRONG HEART TOASTED OAT cereal with butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar; press about 1 teaspoon in bottoms and up sides of twenty-four 1 3/4-inch muffin cups coated with cooking spray or lined with paper bake cups. Bake at 325 degrees F for 5 minutes. Set aside.
    2. In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add 1/2 cup sugar, flour, vanilla, and orange peel; beat until smooth. Add the egg product; beat on low speed just until combined. Divide evenly among the crusts in muffin cups.
    3. Bake at 325 degrees F for 15 to 17 minutes or until set and tops just begin to turn golden brown. Cool in cups on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove cheesecakes from muffin cups. Cover; chill 4 to 24 hours. To serve, top cheesecakes with berries. Heat and stir jelly until smooth; drizzle atop cheesecakes (if desired).

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 130, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 160 mg, Carbohydrate 17 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 13 g, Protein 4 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 10%, Iron 4%.
    Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    Baked Maple Custards

Servings: Makes 3 servings.
    Prep: 15 mins
    Total: 50 mins

4 teaspoons maple syrup
    1 egg
    1 egg white
    1 cup fat-free milk
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
    1. Divide maple syrup among three 6-ounce custard cups; set cups aside.
    2. Combine egg, egg white, milk, sugar, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Beat until well combined but not foamy. Place prepared custard cups in a 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Pour egg mixture into custard cups. Pour boiling water into baking pan around custard cups to a depth of 1 inch.
    3. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Carefully lift custard cups from water. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or cool completely and chill. Makes 3 servings.Make-Ahead Tip
    Refrigerate custards up to 2 days and serve chilled.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 116, Total Fat 2 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 72 mg, Sodium 82 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 6 g.
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    Chocolate-Raspeberry Souffle

Servings: 6 servings
    Prep: 25 mins
    Total: 1 hr 10 mins

3 whole eggs
    3 egg whites
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup fat-free milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 package (10 ounces) frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed
    Garnish (optional):
    Fresh raspberries

Directions
    1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat inside of 1-1/2-quart souffle dish with nonstick cooking spray.
    2. Separate eggs; place yolks in small bowl, whites in large bowl along with the 3 additional whites.
    3. Combine cocoa powder, sugar, flour and salt in medium-size saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk until well blended. Cook over medium heat, whisking, until mixture thickens and boils, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Whisk a little hot chocolate mixture into yolks; whisk yolk mixture into chocolate in saucepan. Stir in chips until melted.
    4. Beat together egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
    5. Gently but thoroughly fold chocolate-yolk mixture into whites. Pour into prepared dish.
    6. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 35 minutes or until souffle is puffy and shakes slightly when jiggled.
    7. While souffle is baking, press raspberries and syrup through fine sieve over bowl to remove seeds; you should have 1/2 cup sauce.
    8. Serve souffle immediately with raspberry sauce. Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 173, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 107 mg, Sodium 179 mg, Carbohydrate 26 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 9 g.
  • maffydavison
    maffydavison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Think about your presentation. Even the simplest dessert can be festive if presented in a fun way. However, I will share a low-sugar/low-cal alternative to ice cream that I've done for company and it comes out great.

This is going to sound crazy, but it works:

freeze bananas.

Once frozen, take them out, chop them up, put them in a food processor.
    They don't need sugar, but you can add cocoa powder, or any fruit you like -- consider it an 'ice cream base'.
    I just use vanila extract, but a friend suggested I try adding some mango in, which makes it turn a very strange color - as if it
    were artificially colored orange, but there's nothing artificial in it at all...He also generally uses cocoa powder (unsweetened)
    to make a chocolate version.

This creates a creamy soft-serve ice cream consistency.

Take large martini glasses, fill with sliced strawberries and spoon your 'ice cream' over the top (or reverse, depending upon the consistency you get).

You can also refreeze after the food processor business, but it gets very hard, so don't leave it in too long or you'll need to thaw it to make a nice presentation.

I found these over-sized martini glasses at pier one, and they work great for desserts because even regular ice cream only fits a real serving size (i.e., 4 servings per pint) in each glass, If you add fresh berries, you have even less room for the extra calories.

Just an idea. :)

Maffy
  • lioyka
    lioyka Posts: 6
    Options
    Kim’s Favorite Dessert – Dump Cobbler

This is pretty lo-cal and Very Easy to Cook!

One Bag of Frozen Fruit – No added Sugar. I use Peaches but you can use Any Fruit or even Pie Topping

One box of Jiffy Yellow Cake mix

Once mini can of Diet Sprite or Sprite Zero 8 fl oz

Add Frozen Peaches to a Casserole dish

Dump Dry Jiffy Cake mix on top of the peaches

Pour the 8 oz can of sprite on top the cake mix

Cover with Lid

Bake for 45 min @ 375 degrees.

To harden the top of the cobbler you can take the lid off the pan a few in prior to end of baking.

If you divide it into four equal servings it ends up being about 313 Calories. That is a big Serving!

a normal size portion with 8 Servings would be 156 Calories, 30 Carbs, 3 Fat, 2 Protein.

My husband loves it with Vanilla Ice Cream!
  • kimel
    kimel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    here is a great dessert recipe

Death by Chocolate
    Makes 24 1/2 cup servings

1 package low fat brownie mix (prepared)
    3 packages Light Chocolate mousse mix (I use Oetker), Prepared
    3 Skor bars (crushed)
    1 container Cool Whip lite

Prepare brownies as per package directions, when cool crumble.
    Prepare mousse as per package directions.
    In a large glass bowl, such as a punch bowl or something you would use for a
    trifle layer the ingredients as follows.

* 1/3 of the brownies
    * 1/3 of the mousse mix
    * 1/3 of the skor bar
    * 1/3 of the cool whip

Repeat this 3 times.

This is great to take to a large get together it serves about 24 people
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    Lemon Ice Box Pie

2 bowls of fat free cool whip
    1 can of condensed milk- fat free
    1 can frozen lemonade
    2 reduced fat graham cracker crust

Mix all together and pour into pie crust. Can be served chilled or frozen. My family LOVES it. 7 grams of fat according to the my recipe on here.

Peanut Butter Whipped Pie

Peanut butter to taste (I usually use 2 large tablespoons of honey peanut butter (less fat and sweeter))
    1 bowl of fat free cool whip
    1 reduced fat graham cracker crust
    Chocolate syrup to top if you desire

Slightly melt the peanut butter, mix with cool whip, pour into crust, chill or freeze and serve. If you mix the peanut butter and feel it needs more, just melt some more and add it to the mixture. My husband pour chocolate syrup over his. I do not like chocolate so I do not add that to mine. Taste a lot like a reese peanut butter cup.
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Kim’s Favorite Dessert – Dump Cobbler:

This sounds really good! Do you mix the Sprite with the cake mix?
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Lemon Ice Box Pie

2 bowls of fat free cool whip
    1 can of condensed milk- fat free
    1 can frozen lemonade
    2 reduced fat graham cracker crust

Mix all together and pour into pie crust. Can be served chilled or frozen. My family LOVES it. 7 grams of fat according to the my recipe on here.

I love lemon desserts!!! Do you use minute maid frozen lemonade? Also, do you know the cals for this recipe? Thanks!
  • lioyka
    lioyka Posts: 6
    Options
    Kim’s Favorite Dessert – Dump Cobbler:

This sounds really good! Do you mix the Sprite with the cake mix?

Nope! Just pour the Diet Sprite over the Cake mix. After it is cooked the top is slightly cake like the inside of the cobbler is very soft / slightly gooey. Ohh soo good!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks for all the great dessert ideas!