Scale obsession!

Options
NS81
NS81 Posts: 192 Member
So, I know the recommended time frame to weigh yourself... I also know that retaining water, time of day etc effects the number on the scale... but I still find that I am obsessed with weighing myself each morning... I feel like it keeps me on track, and more alert to my daily choices...

How often do you weigh yourself?

Replies

• unblevable1
    Options
    I do the same thing..lol
    However, it's my understanding that it's more of a mind game. Maybe we should try going every two days...then every three days then once a week like we're supposed to.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    at least once, but sometimes several times a day, just for sh*tsngiggles.

you just have to know that the number should be taken with a grain of salt, that it increases by a few pounds from morning to night, and any short term fluctuations are probably from water
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Every morning, in the buff after I've gone potty.

The number jumps around quite a bit, so the only day I really pay attention to is my Thursday weigh in (no idea why Thursday - it's just the day I picked). If you weigh yourself often, just know that the number fluctuates. sometimes it fluctuates a LOT. Don't let it bother you. It isn't weight gain unless you really did eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance (per extra pound).

Ranting, and I know you didn't ask about weight gain, OP. Just getting that out there for anyone who might come in complaining of gaining weight over night. :P
  • NS81
    Options
    Every morning, in the buff after I've gone potty.

The number jumps around quite a bit, so the only day I really pay attention to is my Thursday weigh in (no idea why Thursday - it's just the day I picked). If you weigh yourself often, just know that the number fluctuates. sometimes it fluctuates a LOT. Don't let it bother you. It isn't weight gain unless you really did eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance (per extra pound).

Ranting, and I know you didn't ask about weight gain, OP. Just getting that out there for anyone who might come in complaining of gaining weight over night. :P

Thanks everyone!

I kind of do the same, I don't take it too personally if it's up a little, unless it's on Monday (the day I picked as my "official" weigh in day lol) I have noticed that it definitely fluctuates quite a bit!
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    So, I know the recommended time frame to weigh yourself... I also know that retaining water, time of day etc effects the number on the scale... but I still find that I am obsessed with weighing myself each morning... I feel like it keeps me on track, and more alert to my daily choices...

Oh god.....uhm....every week? Maybe..
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Once a week every Sunday morning right after I get up.
  • NS81
    Options
    Once a week every Sunday morning right after I get up.

Your profile pic is badass! I stalked your profile (creepy? Sorry! lol) Congrats on your hard work - so inspiring to see hard work pay off!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Every single morning. But you have to be ok with seeing a small gain or no movement at all. I am fine with that, so I weigh myself just to stay on track. The ONLY day I dont weigh myself is the day after my free/cheat meal. There is no point in looking at the damage, lol. Knowing that it will discourage me I avoid it all together on those mornings. The next day I am back to normal and I carry on with my weigh ins :)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I don't. I don't own a scale and have no desire to. If I did I'd be constantly on it and constantly depressed because the number isn't moving.

I'm measuring my weight loss by jean size. I'm at a 16 now and intend to be down to size 10 by September.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    EVERY MORNING ALSO! But i log it in on fridays!!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    I don't. I don't own a scale and have no desire to. If I did I'd be constantly on it and constantly depressed because the number isn't moving.

I'm measuring my weight loss by jean size. I'm at a 16 now and intend to be down to size 10 by September.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    stalking....lol its all good! thats what this site is for getting inspiration and encouragement from on another!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at least 3 times a day. The fluctuations are fascinating. But I know now how minor things (Food, bathroom visits, water, sodium...etc) can affect the number so I don't stress about it at all. I only log it when I hit a new low.
  • NS81
    Options

I work in a doctors office, and the temptation is just too great - Our scale at home broke (and truthfully, I don't know how reliable it was anyhow)

Good luck to you! Great goal! :smile:
  • GenZombie
    GenZombie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I weigh myself every other day but only log my weight if the number is the same a few days in a row. I should probably set a specific day during the week and only weigh myself once a week...but the scale is just so tempting sitting right there in the bathroom lol. I also measure once a month and always feel a lot better with the loss in inches vs what the scale says.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on Sundays

My fiance wighs herself constantly. before a shower, after a shower. pre-pooh and post pooh

we seem pretty normal

I don't think it matters
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend either weighing every day or don't even own a scale.

If you weigh once a week, you set yourself up for disappointment if the results aren't what you want and you have an entire week of dwelling on not losing. And while you might not have seen a loss on the scale, it could be just water retention.

If you weigh every day as I do, there's no disappointment. You won't see huge numbers like you would if you weigh weekly or bi weekly but there's no disappointment.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    OH.... nice to know I am not the only one... I do it almost every morning. The only time I don't weight myself in the morning is when I go to gym really early before work and don't want to wake up my husband.... I am so obsessed, I would step on the scale, step down, turn it off, turn it back on, step on it again, repeat it for a few times... and I know, the number don't change much but I just can't help it!!!!! I also weight myself after I come home from work, just to see.... but I only count the weight in the morning ( after bathroom and before breakfast....)

I sometimes log in twice a week but try to do it once a week....
  • knt6742
    knt6742 Posts: 36
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and log it in an excel sheet. It's cool to see the graph with the daily fluctuations and then an overall downward trend.

Personally for me, it has helped me get used to those fluctuations.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Once a every few months. I find that just looking in the mirror objectively is a better way to gage my progress. I also go by the way my clothes fit.