Healthy Crockpot Meals :)

Options
Ok so I am a huge crockpot user! So now I am searching for yummy crockpot meals that are healthy. Any favorites??
Thanks!

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    bump, I love my Crock Pot and would like to use it again!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    In for the set it and forget it meals.
  • cindagrif
    cindagrif Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My favorite one is just frozen chicken and salsa. Dump it in and a few hours you have a good meal.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Any form of chicken (newer crockpots only)
    BBQ Sauce
    Tony Cacheries

Cook all day on HIGH
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    One of my all-time favorites is the Hungry Girl Cheesy Mac Attack. I double the turkey for extra protein, and drizzle a little sugar-free ketchup on top. It's low-cal, but I'm not a huge fan of the macros, so I don't make it that often. So delicious.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/under-200-cheeseburger-mac-attack-recipe

Most of the time I pick up some pre-marinated chicken breasts from the store and pick a complimentary broth. Yesterday I picked up some peanut spicy marinated chicken, so I slow cooked 'em in coconut water. I throw some steamed veggies in a tupperware with the chicken, and I've got my lunch.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I read one i want to try....bear with me - it sounds weird...but maybe good?? You slice a bunch of sweet potato thin, and layer sweet potatoe, then seasoned ground turney, then sweet potato...then so forth. then you add a coupole eggs over the entire mixture - its supposed to hold it together so you can slice it like a lasagna. Then you put sauce and cheese, if you want on it.... I keep saying I want to try it! but a little scared it will be horrible! Its either gonna be nasty, or freaking delisious...
  • GingerLee13
    GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is a 1lb of chicken breasts, 16oz bottle of salsa verde, juice of 1 lime, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, a tsp of dried oregano, a tsp on onion powder, and a 1/4 c of green taco sauce. Cook on high for 4 hours, then shred the chicken and eat with tortillas or in a salad.
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    blogger skinnytaste.com has a lot of healthy crock pot meals.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    -2 tbs oil
    - 1 medium onion
    - 1/3 lb carrots
    - 6 stalks celery
    - 1/3 cup dry red lentils
    - 1 big can tomato purree
    - 2 tbs tomato paste
    - spices spending on what I'm making: curry powder, chili powder, oregano, or thyme, etc.
    You can also put in some dark chicken meat or some country style pork ribs.
    At the end can stir in frozen veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, corns or peas 15 mins before serving.

My most used recipe as a college student. So cheap. So easy.
    Serve over rice, pasta, or as a soup (in this case just put in less salt)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ground turkey chili:

Brown 1 lb turkey, toss in crock pot
    add 1/2 chopped tomato, 1/2 jalepeno (or habanero if you want spicy), 1 can navy beans, 1 large can tomato sauce and chili seasoning. Cook all day. Yum!
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I read one i want to try....bear with me - it sounds weird...but maybe good?? You slice a bunch of sweet potato thin, and layer sweet potatoe, then seasoned ground turney, then sweet potato...then so forth. then you add a coupole eggs over the entire mixture - its supposed to hold it together so you can slice it like a lasagna. Then you put sauce and cheese, if you want on it.... I keep saying I want to try it! but a little scared it will be horrible! Its either gonna be nasty, or freaking delisious...

You know, I've experimented with sweet potatoes a bit, and I've yet to be disappointed. I made sweet potato tuna cakes a few weeks ago and they were surprisingly delicious. I'm now really curious about the Sweet Potato Turkey Lasagna....
  • katicarlson2
    Options
    Ground turkey chili:

Brown 1 lb turkey, toss in crock pot
    add 1/2 chopped tomato, 1/2 jalepeno (or habanero if you want spicy), 1 can navy beans, 1 large can tomato sauce and chili seasoning. Cook all day. Yum!

This one sounds yummy!!! I have a lot of ground turkey here already :) I will most likely add corn to it!
  • pattykaye33
    pattykaye33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Thanks for the web site, saw a few recipes I would like to try.:happy:
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I use my crock pot all the time. I recently tried a new concoction (recipe was for chicken but I really wanted pork loin instead)

1 or 2lb pork loin
    6-10 oz of basil pesto (depending on weight of meat)
    1-1.5 cup chicken broth (again, depending on meat)

Rub the pork loin with the pesto, pour in the chicken broth (around not over the meat), cook on low 8-10 hours until pork is cooked. I'm not sure exactly how many calories it is b/c it depends on the weight of the meat, but it wasn't more than 250 per serving I believe.
  • katicarlson2
    Options

Thanks for the web site, saw a few recipes I would like to try.:happy:

I will def check that out :)
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!!!! You can do a search for crockpot recipes on the forum too, I posted the same question a few weeks ago.
  • ninavalentine
    ninavalentine Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is a variation of an online recipe.

A can of tomatoes (I use sodium free, could also seasoned tomatoes)
    A can of low sodium black beans
    A cup of frozen corn (canned works just fine, too)
    A can of low sodium chicken broth.
    Seasoning to taste -- I use chili powder, cumin, oregano, and a tad of red pepper flakes for heat.

Stir it all. Put two or three chicken breasts on top and cook until they're falling apart. Shred the chicken in the tomato mixture and you're good to go.

I eat it on salad, the spouse eats it on brown rice. Leftovers are yummy in a pita bread.
  • HeatherScent37
    HeatherScent37 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mexican Soup (very similar to a recipe posted above)

Place two or three chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker (they can even be frozen). I rub a bit of olive oil on the bottom of the crock first. Rub the chicken with taco seasoning (I use Trader Joe's). Then pour in:
    Jar of salsa
    Can of black beans (not drained) (use any kind of beans you like)
    Can of chopped tomatoes (unsalted, not drained)
    Finely chopped onion
    Chopped red or green peppers
    A large box of low-sodium chicken broth (I use Trader Joe's)

Put it on high for the first few hours if the chicken was frozen, and then turn to low. I guess I let it cook about 8 hours. It's not like you can hurt it by letting it go longer, you just want to make sure the chicken is cooked through. The chicken will fall apart easily, just shred it with a fork and stir before serving.

Can easily be made vegetarian by using more/different beans and veggie stock instead of chicken.

Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt (or sour cream) and shredded cheese, if you want. I put tortilla chips on the side for the kids, but I pass on the chips right now since I'm in losing mode.