How do you prevent getting hungry through your workout?

Options
My biggest issue working out is getting fatigued due to hunger. This happens especially when I lift heavy. I've tried to counter that by doing the strength training first and cardio last. But then I find myself fatigued when I do cardio.

I try to eat right before I leave work so that I am satisfied by the time I get to the gym. But it never fails...by the time I do that first set of deadlifts hunger calls lol.

I want to make sure my workouts are as effective as possible but I can't do that if I cut them short. I would like to train a lot harder but I can't do that when I am hungry.

Any suggestions on how to combat this? I'm thinking of taking a peanut butter sandwich with me to the gym lol.

Replies

• jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Exercise is an appetite suppressant for many, me included, so I just ignore it if it happens and plow through. The hunger goes away pretty quickly once I stop focusing on it.

Hunger can be a sign that you need water not food. So make sure you're drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

Unless you're eating at an extreme deficit, your fatigue should not be from lack of food, but simply your effort. If you ARE eating at an extreme deficit... eat more throughout the day. I love Peanut butter and honey sandwiches, but I cannot imagine eating one between heavy sets of squats or deads...

Maybe someone else who's had the same experience can help you out more.. ??
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    WHen I get hungry it goes pretty much like this.
    "oh, wow, i am hungry",
    Gets a drink of water.

Continues to work out and just forgets about it
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i would also say that it could be thirst mistaken for hunger and this will also effect your workout, possible more so.

the obvious answer is that you should eat more before hand.

there is nothing wrong with eatting during a workout, particularly a resistance workout. most of the post exercise shakes say that they are also meant to be consumed during a work out.

i'd bring something convienient like a protein bar or even a candy bar. or the PBJ
  • gmhenry2014
    gmhenry2014 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How long are your workouts?!
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I bring food to the gym. Often it's bananas and/or chocolate milk. Bring what works for you.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think you guys were right that it may have been dehydration. I drank a lot of water yesterday and I also ate before I left work (about an hour before I hit the gym). I ate greek yogurt with Kind granola and some protein cereal and almond milk.