Has anyone experienced this?

Options
Hi, I'm recovering from anorexia. I've already gained 10 pounds and have almost 10 more to go until I'm at a 'healthy' weight.
I can not stop binge eating!!!! I hate it. Like I will eat 1500 cals in one binge. It happens weekly if not more. And it destroys confidence and makes me terrified of food and never want to eat because I'm scared I'm going to binge again!!!
How do I stop?
Has anyone had a problem with binging during recovery from a restrictive disorder?

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you still have a problem. You're still obsessing about food and worrying about eating too much. I hope you're still in therapy.
  • VeganEquestrian
    VeganEquestrian Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No therapist. I have no money.
    And that's why is said recovering, not recovered.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You can find support groups to help you that will not cost anything.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I struggle with binge eating but have not had anorexia. I'm also still working on myself and trying to find a better relationship with food. I try to eat smaller meals throughout the day that are high in protein so that I don't find myself overindulging in one sitting. (Although this doesn't always work it has helped me be more successful in the past)

Wishing you good luck on your journey!
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You can find support groups to help you that will not cost anything.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what she's doing here - looking for support.
    I'm sorry I don't know much about anorexia and can't give you much advice, but I think you are doing the right thing by reaching out, and hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    once you get to a healthy weight you should find control again, your body is craving the nutrients cause its struggling, dont worry just keep gaining the weight you need, here if you need someone to talk too
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick search for "recovering ED" in the groups section of mfp and it looks like there are a few there you can try.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    This happened to me in my recovery as well. It was as if once your body started getting the nutrients it needed it needed more and more. I actually came across a blog that had a good write up about this sort of thing http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/5/22/extreme-hunger-what-is-it.html
    I'm assuming you aren't working with a dietician? Are you making up any meal plans? That might help give more structure to your daily eating.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm in no way an expert on recovery and I'm hoping that some of the other MFP members with experience with recovery will see this topic and chime in, but it's my understanding that going through periods of binge-eating during recovery is normal.

From this article http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/10/31/bingeing-is-not-bingeing.html:

"However, it is important to note that the process of recovery from an energy deficient state most certainly involves a period of extreme hunger and eating. It is a transient condition that disappears once energy balance is restored."

Another good article: http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/5/22/extreme-hunger-what-is-it.html

"Extreme hunger is a common experience for almost everyone undergoing recovery from any kind of restrictive eating disorder.

Next to the presence of edema (water retention), extreme hunger is one of the most anxiety-provoking elements of recovery.

It can happen at any time in the recovery process and varies for everyone as to how long it lasts. Many of you will have already seen this information, but it is worth repeating:

Extreme Hunger:
    1) Starts day one.
    2) Starts a few days or weeks in.

3) Does not happen.

4) Lasts from months two through six uninterrupted.

5) Shows up and disappears intermittently throughout.
    6) Shows up near the end of weight restoration.
    7) Blasts away like a fire hose from start to finish.

And if I have missed any variation in the above 7 items I can assure you that it is still perfectly normal.

During this time you will want (and very much need) far more than 2500-3500 calories a day and may find yourself consuming anywhere from 6,000-10,000 calories in a single day. That causes panic for pretty much everyone on the restrictive eating disorder and they lock down on the incorrect thoughts that they will “just keep going” and are “bingeing”.

The enemy is restriction. When extreme hunger hits then you commit to never eating less than the recommended guidelines* on any given day no matter what you ate the day before. It is restriction that will pull you to relapse, not the extreme hunger itself."

Again, I'm not an expert and I'm not trying to give you any kind of medical advice. The youreatopia site has a ton of information and can be a great resource.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I experienced that in recovery from anorexia. Once I got to a healthy weight and my body was functioning regularly again with all the nutrients I need and stuff my binges have been less frequent. They still happen, but much less than recovery, when my body was craving all the nutrients and tastes I'd deprived it from so long.

I already mentioned this in a message to you, but am just bumping this post so more people see it and respond.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm recovering from anorexia. I've already gained 10 pounds and have almost 10 more to go until I'm at a 'healthy' weight.
    I can not stop binge eating!!!! I hate it. Like I will eat 1500 cals in one binge. It happens weekly if not more. And it destroys confidence and makes me terrified of food and never want to eat because I'm scared I'm going to binge again!!!
    How do I stop?
    Has anyone had a problem with binging during recovery from a restrictive disorder?

it seems you still have a problem. Don't forget the healthy food is a friend which helps you to build a strong body!
    If you dont have money to see a therapist, I strongly recommend you to do some reasearch to understand how the body works...
    And stop counting the number of kcal, when you try to gain weight, you have to do a kcal excess.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Restrictive eating leads to binging.
  • VeganEquestrian
    VeganEquestrian Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know that restrictive eating leads to binging, but how can I stop restricting if I can't stop binging? I feel like I'm stuck...
  • alltattoodup158
    Options
    Just to sum it up .....you were so use to not eating that when you finally did to overcome the fact of not eating and started eating again.....you body was overwhelmed and started consuming everything you have been missing and your brain was sending out waves of FOOD FOOD .....and it causes you not to resist it until your body says oh I'm full even if it is 1500 calories later.....now instead of not eating you have to tell your body I'm full with smaller portions and mentally stop yourself from doing it.....
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I know that restrictive eating leads to binging, but how can I stop restricting if I can't stop binging? I feel like I'm stuck...
    Start eating a rational diet, of near 2000 calories a day. Eating the foods you enjoy.
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    How many calories is your recovery meal plan? Having it at less than 3000 may mean you aren't fueling your body and mind enough so they are screaming for food. Also, restricting foods in recovery can lead to your' binges'. 'Binging' is not bad in recovery. You need to gain weight anyway so any extra calories are great. eat all that you want, and then move on and eat all that you want the next time oyu are hungry. I am also in recovery, feel free to msg me :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything an recovering from an ED but it looks like you are getting excellent advice. The only thing I can add is try to relax and breath and trust your body right now. It's doing what it needs to do to get healthy by sending hunger signals out.

I can only imagine how scared you must be. Do you have anyone you can just talk to, a parent, a friend, clergy? That may help with your fear and anxiety. Or if you visit the nationaleatdisorders.org website maybe there is a toll free number you can call to get access to free programs in your area.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    1500 calories for a meal is a binge?

Apparently I binge just about every day....
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Start eating a rational diet, of near 2000 calories a day. Eating the foods you enjoy.

Recovering from anorexia needs a higher intake than that.

Think the intake of a teenage boy trying to bulk...
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    That is perfectly normal in the early stages of recovery from starvation. Your body has been deprived of the calories and nutrients it needs to survive. What it is trying to do right now is replenish. Don't think of the binges as binges, think of them as your bodies way of trying to recover. The binges will get smaller in due time with the right amount of patience, recovery, and therapy. If you really cannot afford a therapist, join a support group. Group therapy tends to be cheap (the rate is split between patients, so it is sometimes as cheap as $15 a session).

I am in recovery from a restrictive eating disorder myself. I still 'binge' from time to time, but a lot less than I did in the first months. So, rest assured knowing that it DOES get better. Depending on how long you restricted, you may need as many as 3,000 calories a day to refuel. Some people require more than that. It helps if you space meals out. Instead of three a day, do six a day. This helps prevent binging, helps get you on a schedule, and helps so that it doesn't hurt to eat. 2,000 is not really enough for someone in recovery from an ED. It was for me, but one has to keep in mind that I didn't get below a healthy BMI. So, I didn't have as much weight to gain back.

And yes, waldo... for someone recovering from restriction, 1,500 feels like a really big binge. I could explain what it does to our body when we eat that much in one sitting (the digestive upset, the constipation, the bloating, the lightheadedness, the anxiety). But I'll spare the details. Some of it is gross. But, OP, that gets easier, too.

Just take a breath and remind yourself. It gets better. You can do this. :flowerforyou:

I'm going to add you. You don't have to accept, but if you want to, you can message me in the future if you need someone to talk to. Recovery is hard on your own. I'd know. Take care.