1200 calorie daily allowance and feeling hungry :(

Options

Replies

• Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to. You are most likely eating WAY less than you should. Did you set it to lose 2 lbs a week? Most people should not be losing that fast. Calculate your BMR and you TDEE ....eat between those numbers and NOT below your BMR.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've never kept a food diary before and I'm shocked to see how quickly the calories add up. Anyone have any tips on how to stay satiated on 1200 cal/day diet?

4-6 scrambled egg whites over a couple cups of veggies (no cheese or milk) and seasoned with Mrs Dash is a full plate which I can barely eat for less than 200 calories. Add some diced meat, nuts, or cheese and make it a complete meal for a couple hundred more calories or so... So yummy, filling and no hating on yourself afterwards!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories. Also eat more protein because it helps you to stay full for longer.
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You could always just eat something and excersise the calories back
  • hiphopbunnie
    Options
    I've never kept a food diary before and I'm shocked to see how quickly the calories add up. Anyone have any tips on how to stay satiated on 1200 cal/day diet?

4-6 scrambled egg whites over a couple cups of veggies (no cheese or milk) and seasoned with Mrs Dash is a full plate which I can barely eat for less than 200 calories. Add some diced meat, nuts, or cheese and make it a complete meal for a couple hundred more calories or so... So yummy, filling and no hating on yourself afterwards!

Thank you!!!!! This is what Im kinda looking for. Filling food ideas :)
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I load up on veggies and protein. Veggies tend to be high in fiber and take up a bunch of room in your stomach, so you get the "I'm full" signals to the brain.

Protein is vital for me, at least, to avoid the hunger pains. I've noticed a serious difference between eating 1 cup of greek yogurt and 1 cup of steel-cut oats for breakfast.

With the yogurt, I can go until 12-1 without feeling hungry. With the oats, I'm starved by 9:30-10. I eat around 7:30-8 most mornings.

Quality over quantity.

Also, drink water. Many of our 'hunger' signals are actually due to dehydration.

That being said, everyone's body is different, so experiment with what works best for you and your body.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'm gonna try adding more protein and veggies in to see if it keeps me full longer. I do find that carbs from grains aren't as good as proteins and veggies for keeping me full but carbs are just easier heh :p

This is all you need, really. I'm 5'3" and 131 pounds. I have 0.9 lbs/week on mfp and it is set to 1200 cals. I mainly aim for protein and veggies, but I do think the quaker weight control oatmeal is excellent - it's a quick breakfast, it's tasty with a tsp of brown sugar added (otherwise it's relatively tasteless), and it's filling.
    I do 50-60 minutes of cardio 5-6x per week, which adds around 380-450 cals to my daily limit, and sometimes I eat back all of it, sometimes I eat half of it back.
  • hiphopbunnie
    Options

Thank you!!! This is the kinda stuff I'm looking for :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

1200 is BEFORE exercise.......add some (log it) and extra calories are your reward.

1200 is MFP's lowest default minimum....it may or may not be appropriate for you. If your weekly goal is too high, bam...1200. If you are older & petite....bam 1200. I would double check your settings.......

Do what is sustainable. It's not sustainable if you feel like chewing your arm off.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    1200 calories?!?! Exercise more so you can eat. Take a jog before you eat, talk a walk after you eat. Be active.
  • MissNayMalmoe
    MissNayMalmoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    See, this is what I am dealing with. I have 60 pounds to go, and I am set at 1200 calories per day through the MFP calculator. I'm hungry a LOT. Sadly, after my week of 1200 and doing 4 cardio sessions, I gained 2 pounds. I am not sure I understand what in the world I am doing wrong. This is my first time tracking food as well.
  • hiphopbunnie
    Options
    1200 calories?!?! Exercise more so you can eat. Take a jog before you eat, talk a walk after you eat. Be active.

I think I'm pretty active already. I do an hr of cardio 4-5x a week. But with my current diet I haven't been losing weight which is why I joined MFP to try to keep track of my calories =/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    See, this is what I am dealing with. I have 60 pounds to go, and I am set at 1200 calories per day through the MFP calculator. I'm hungry a LOT. Sadly, after my week of 1200 and doing 4 cardio sessions, I gained 2 pounds. I am not sure I understand what in the world I am doing wrong. This is my first time tracking food as well.

Let me guess ... set at 2 pounds per week loss.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I think I'm pretty active already. I do an hr of cardio 4-5x a week. But with my current diet I haven't been losing weight which is why I joined MFP to try to keep track of my calories =/

You do realize that MFP's caloric goals are net, not total, calories ... right?
  • MissNayMalmoe
    MissNayMalmoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is it harmful if we don't eat our extra earned calories? I was under with my workout calories but was nervous it over calculated them. To be safe, I didn't eat the extras.
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36 year old man and I'm eating 1800 cals. One tip I can give you is to move the majority of your carbs to the morning.
    I leave for the gym at 6am and just drink a coffee and have breakfast post workout. I find I'm not hungry most of the day.

Couldn't cope with 1200 cals but I'm a 140kg man. I find drinking lots of fluids tea, coffee and water keeps me going between meals.
    I think if you stick at it your body's metabolism will adapt and hunger will dissipate. It did for me.

Good luck!
  • LaurenBrooke1843
    LaurenBrooke1843 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, steamed broccoli, and air popped popcorn are all super filling and low calorie!
    You can have a HUGE salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, reduced fat feta cheese, and a tiny bit of chicken and stay very low calorie.
    125 calorie PB&J's are also the greatest thing ever. 35 calorie bread, 2tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter), and 1tbsp sugar free jelly make for a filling yummy lunch! :)
  • hiphopbunnie
    Options

You do realize that MFP's caloric goals are net, not total, calories ... right?

wouldn't my daily deficit be super low then? it would take so long to lose 1lb..
  • hiphopbunnie
    Options
    Egg whites, steamed broccoli, and air popped popcorn are all super filling and low calorie!
    You can have a HUGE salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, reduced fat feta cheese, and a tiny bit of chicken and stay very low calorie.
    125 calorie PB&J's are also the greatest thing ever. 35 calorie bread, 2tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter), and 1tbsp sugar free jelly make for a filling yummy lunch! :)

thank you! this is helpful!
  • djrn144
    djrn144 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I find if i eat more fat and protein that i am less ravenous. try it has worked for me and it may be too few calories but also what you are eating too. good luck!
  • AmyMS86
    AmyMS86 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try going up 200 - 300 calories and see how you feel.