yoga as strength training?

Options

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - holding Chaturanga dandasana is very good for core strength and definitely engages chest, triceps and rhomboid muscles as well as the whole of the posterior chain.

edit: post redefinition.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Look up Forrest Yoga on YouTube. If that's not strength training, nothing is.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    It most certainly counts as resistance training if you are doing any forms that use your body as a weight or involve resistance like the plank for example.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Strength training is about progressive loading, so as long as you're continuously striding toward a more difficult pose it is. If you're just following a routine out of a book, a video or whatever, then not so much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The term "strength" training tends to get used as a catch all for anything that involves resistance and/or engaging your muscles...in reality, "strength training" is a real thing...not all resistance work is "strength training" even though you may make some strength gains, you have to actually train specifically for strength to be "strength training."

That said, yoga is a very good exercise and very good for you and pretty much everyone should incorporate it into a well balanced fitness regimen.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I lifted and was a marathon runner for years. While this made me "fit", it wasn't until I started practicing yoga that I became toned and picked up flexibility, balance and stress reduction. I know I am far stronger now because of yoga. Do a hand stand for three minutes and tell me that's not strength training. The real key is you will only continue any form of exercise if you enjoy it. If you enjoy yoga, do that. Namaste.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    The term "strength" training tends to get used as a catch all for anything that involves resistance and/or engaging your muscles...in reality, "strength training" is a real thing...not all resistance work is "strength training" even though you may make some strength gains, you have to actually train specifically for strength to be "strength training."

That said, yoga is a very good exercise and very good for you and pretty much everyone should incorporate it into a well balanced fitness regimen.

Hi - do you mean that strength training is something you do specifically focussed on gaining strength - be it weights or progressive bodyweight training - whereas the strength you may gain through something like progressively more intense/difficult yoga is more a side benefit?
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have been told continuously that weight training is the key to keeping your metabolism going and holding on to your muscle. Does yoga serve this function well? Anyone have experience with this? I hate lifting weights but find yoga pleasant, challenging, and relaxing.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say No, yoga does not count as strength training, unless you do the dance pose with a 10lb weight in your hand and another one strapped to your foot lol yoga helps tremendously when incorporated into strength training :) if you use it before and after you may find weights easier and more enjoyable.

^^^^^^^ This
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have been told continuously that weight training is the key to keeping your metabolism going and holding on to your muscle. Does yoga serve this function well? Anyone have experience with this? I hate lifting weights but find yoga pleasant, challenging, and relaxing.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say No, yoga does not count as strength training, unless you do the dance pose with a 10lb weight in your hand and another one strapped to your foot lol yoga helps tremendously when incorporated into strength training :) if you use it before and after you may find weights easier and more enjoyable.

I disagree here. It may be that my response is biased as I was taught how to exercise using my body weight in place of barbells, but it is possible. When I lost weight and started working out, i found myself with a six pack - never having picked up a barbell/dumbbell/resistance training machine in my life (thus far....i did start using them later on). If you do positions in which you're balancing/holding a large amount of your body weight, that surely helps as you're forced to hold up however many pounds you weigh. In yoga, your body mass = your barbells

In terms of the different types of yoga, there are plenty and you should check them all out to find one that suits you! There is one or two specifically for fitness that you may want to look for.

Like people have mentioned, lifting is a bit different than yoga, but in the end they both build muscle. :)
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I do yoga, and I lift heavy...I like them both. But no, yoga isn't strength training. It definitely helps, I love the core movements and being stronger in yoga has helped me be stronger in the weight room, but you still need to deadlift and squat ;) yoga is perfect for the "in between" days, and to just let your stress go. There is power yoga, or hot yoga, but I still wouldn't think it's comparable to weight lifting. You aren't going to get "buff" by lifting weights, you're not a man, and even men have a hard time bulking.

Agreed. Before I started lifting weights I certainly felt that yoga qualified as strength training, and I suppose it is to a point where you use body weight to strengthen yourself, but compared to the strength gains that have come from lifting weights, they are definitely not equal for making you stronger. That being said, I feel like they complement each other nicely so I do both.

OP, if you aren't sold on weight training, then stick to yoga. It certainly does have it's strengthening merits, and it's good for the soul. But I would encourage you to research weight training. It won't make you look "buff" or too muscly, unless you start taking testosterone or steroids.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals as well. If your intent is to BUILD muscle, you are not going to do that with Yoga. If you just want to "strengthen" body parts with no real definition....then yea, go for Yoga.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • carbfrenzy
    carbfrenzy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These are some really excellent points. I guess I'm not too worried about "buffing" up. I do like the points that were made for improving strength vs. general health and maintenance. I think for now, since it's challenging enough, I'll stick to yoga. It's easily available for me without a gym membership and added equipment.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    It depends on your goals as well. If your intent is to BUILD muscle, you are not going to do that with Yoga. If you just want to "strengthen" body parts with no real definition....then yea, go for Yoga.

I agree with this to a point. You would not expect to build a great deal of muscle mass, but you would see some real definition, especially as excess fat is burned off, revealing existing muscle.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yoga combines strength conditioning, balance, and flexibility. All yoga classes are not created equal. We have some extremely challenging yoga classes at my gym that incorporate heavy elements of strength training.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    depends on the practice.... challenging vinyasa/power yoga...yes.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For someone who has never done yoga before, which workout is the place to begin?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    For someone who has never done yoga before, which workout is the place to begin?

I started body building, and honestly started yoga because i was so freakin' sore after lifting weights. Now I lift every other day, and yoga every other day, and my DOMS seemed to have calmed down. Some of the stretches feel so good lol It doesn't matter what you start with, they're both beneficial in their own respect.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    :wink:
    giphy.gif
  • pwelch117
    pwelch117 Posts: 14 Member
    Options