New runner question for all the runners out there!

Options
I am a smoker and unfortunately I enjoy smoking. I have NEVER been a runner, but have started running at the gym (working with a personal trainer). Today I completed my first mile run and am so proud of that accomplishment. My question is, when you began running was it typical for you to be a bit out of breath and for your chest to burn? I have come a long way from day one in the gym with this go around. I could barely run a lap around the gym without needing to take a "walking" break, today I did 99% of that mile running. I went 6 hours without a cigarette but broke down...I have for the most part given up my love of caffeine and that is enough in itself right now, I am just not ready to completely cut out the smoking but am willing to try my best to cut down!

Replies

• MEsoon
    MEsoon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a former smoker and yes, my chest burned when i exercised. A huge motivation to not smoke is how much easier it is to run when you don't smoke!!! I noticed a difference around 1 week after I quit
  • mlcrec
    mlcrec Posts: 66
    Options
    I think my actual question may have been a bit confusing, my question is if you are NOT a smoker when you began running was it typical for you to be a bit out of breath and for your chest to burn?
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think my actual question may have been a bit confusing, my question is if you are NOT a smoker when you began running was it typical for you to be a bit out of breath and for your chest to burn?

I've actually been in both situations here: when I first started running 4/5 years ago, i hadn't smoked a single cigarette in my life. If the air contained too much moisture/it was too humid, i found my chest burning. As I became more fit, I found that it decreased. I've since been smoking on and off, also sadly finding myself on/off with my training. Since smoking my chest does hurt when i begin my conditioning, but it's surely a lot worse (as of recently, i started smoking massive amounts, stopped running for a year, and over the past few weeks have started yet again).

I think the pain and discomfort you're talking about is merely your lungs, heart, and cardiovascular system being strained, trying to accommodate the increased exertion. Always watch it closely though: pain that is intolerable/don't just make you stop but makes you double over in pain means you should immediately stop what you're doing. The type of pain i'm talking about is merely the kind you experience if you over-exert yourself. :) I could be wrong with all of this though, since i'm not an exercise-science major.

Happy running!
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    It's absolutely normal for your chest to burn when you first start running, whether or not you're a smoker. One additional benefit you will get if you stop smoking though is that burning will go away a lot faster.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I hope you will be able to stop smoking. Lost too many friends to lung cancer and it's awful, awful, awful.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's an adjustment whether you smoke or not. It's probably worse due to smoking though. I quit 11 yrs ago and started running 2 yrs ago
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    And...congrats on your accomplishments! Couch to 5K is a good way to build up lung capacity.
  • dancingmuffin
    dancingmuffin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i am not a smoker but i do have asthma and that is how my chest feels as i have just started but its getting better the more i run
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My chest burned when I first started running (using the couch to 5k program)...and my bottom row of teeth would hurt...and many times I was pretty sure I might die...but that all went away and I love to run now! Congrats on your accomplishments! Keep going and that sense of accomplishment will continue to grow. Getting healthy is hard. No two ways about it. And it doesn't happen over night, but it's totally worth it. :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Out of breath yes, chest burning no (that's just my experience.) hope you can quit. My aunt died of lung cancer and it was the worst most heartbreaking and painful death I could ever imagine.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Before I began running for exercise, my chest would burn if I had to run hard to catch a bus/train/whatever. To the point I'd actually have a cough (cold) for days after.
    After I started running regularly, I'd consider those mad dashes as just stretching my legs.

I still have the burning throat/lung issues if I start out too fast on cold days though.

Oh, and I've never smoked a single cigarette. Yuck :tongue:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I've never been a smoker but I've been running for two years, and I STILL get chest burning/hard to breathe when I push myself too hard. It used to happen every time I ran, and it still happens fairly often.

It sucks, but I guess you kind of get used to it? I've also found that (once I was able to work up to it, which took a while), long runs suit me way better than short runs in regards to chest difficulties. It seems like when I only run 1-3 miles, I'll be gasping for air the whole time... but when I extend my runs longer than that, I eventually settle into a good breathing rhythm and it stops being a bother.

Great job on your accomplishment and don't give up! You'll be running for miles like it's nothing before you know it :)
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and wanted to share it with you..."The more I run, the more I love my body. Not because it is perfect; far from it, but because with every mile it is proving to me that I am capable of more than I ever thought possible." Could not sum it up any better than this.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am a nonsmoker. I started running 15 months ago, and yes, I was tired and out of breath and felt like I was going to keel over and die of asphyxiation after running my first solid mile with no breaks... but no, my chest never burned.
    But, we all experience things differently, and it sounds like this is one of those temporary discomforts that will go away as you get better at running and in better shape, so keep it up!
    That first mile was a major milestone. It gets easier!:smile:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Nonsmoker here.

Started running over a year ago and couldn't go a hundred yards without chest burning out of breath feeling like I was going to die. Normal...

That said, smoking will make it even harder.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Depends on my pace.

I can do 2-3 hours at 6 mph and not feel like that, 45 minutes at 5mph and it's uncomfortable, when I do high intensity intervals it feels like my chest is going to explode.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have never been a smoker, not even a single cigarette. I just ran my first half marathon. Even now, my first 1-2 miles of every run is a giant suckfest filled with huffing, puffing, and burning lungs.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Seems like quite a mix.

Add me to the ones who don't feel burning... I feel heavy, sucking wind, exhaustion, dizziness if pushing super hard, etc. Burning in the chest, not so much.

Also, to everyone else, keep in mind that OP is talking after running a mile. I certainly don't want to discount the difficulty of running a mile when you are transitioning from a more sedentary to more active lifestyle, but let's also realize we're not talking a 10k here. To that end, I would have to surmise that a good chunk of the burning the OP is feeling could very well be tied to an extended period of tobacco use.

I can say that if OP can find a way to cut back and eventually quit the smoking, the lungs do have the ability to heal at least somewhat and I am sure that combined with increased stamina, the burning will subside.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Not a smoker here. The first mile of all of my running is always a super slow warmup and I've never had burning lungs. I imagine if you go from 0-60 your body would initially resist. Try easing into it more gradually.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I AM a smoker. Like the OP, I enjoy it (though I smoke MUCH less than I used to - about a pack a week). I have never had an issue with burning chest due to running. I think I'd chalk that up to your body reacting differently/you experiencing things ina way that is unique to you.

I DO get out of breath if I push myself hard OR run when it's humid (today is going to suck).