Vegetarian?

Options
Hi! I'm 25 and my goal is to lose 70lbs. I am also a vegetarian. Anyone else? And how is it working for you? Any ideas to help me out?

Replies

• alitarose
    alitarose Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes, Vegetarian works great for me. I was raised a strict vegan, my parents at 84 are still vegans. I find it much easier to be Vegetarian which I've been for the last 35 years. Iron is the hardest thing for me to get in the diet I eat. I've found some breakfast cereals with lots of Iron like Malto meal. I also take a supplement. I eat soymeats and I make sure I plan a lot of whole grains in my diet. I eat food in the most natural state I can. I love the farmers market in the growing season. Love to use herbs in my cooking. I love to cook as healthy as I can! I started MFP and a weight loss program Nov. 1. Love it here.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    There are tons of us vegetarians and vegans on here. I'm not here to lose weight but to get in shape. Feel free to PM me or add me as a friend.
    :flowerforyou:
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm also vegetarian. My whole family is vegetarian so i've been a vegetarian since I was born. Eat alot of fruits and vegetables. Don't worry about protien too much.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Here for the roll call!!!
    Been vegetarian for 10 months. And it works. Just be smart about what you eat.
  • simply_nicole
    Options
    See, I've been a vegetarian my whole life as well...well, more of a "Flexitarian" or something like that. I would eat meat on VERY rare occasions like in Taco's...so I probably ate meat 5 times a year. But this last year I stopped because I just don't care for it anymore. But I could never figure out why I gained so much weight. I was always thin growing up so I just didn't get it. So I've cut my portion sizes smaller and will see how that works.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hello Simply_Nicole and Everyone:

I've been a vegetarian for the last 10 years. I tried to go vegan once, but I wasn't committed enough to it so it lasted only about nine months. I went back to eating eggs and cheese. The cheese is probably why I need to lose a few pounds! moderation, I am trying to learn moderation!!! Good luck with your weight loss.
  • nevergonnagiveup
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for the last 20 years (more vegan but dairy and eggs sometimes stray into our food regarding friends who try and accommodate our eating style - made with love!) I am a 45 year old mum of 3 and have never had an iron issue. I know this because I donate blood every 3 months (Australia) and an Iron test is done before each donation. I do not take supplements and we get (my family!) our iron from lots of fruit and veggies, especially greens! Not hard to do. I have been losing weight for the last 9 months and have only been on this program for 1 week today. ( 1kg - whoohoo!!! :) 9kg to go! ) I still have lots of energy left for my running passion so it must be working! Also, I don't get sick very often, including colds. (last time was 2 years ago) My point is you can be veggie, healthy and still lose weight safely! :)