Last good book? I need some

Options
257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
I've been on a dry spell for awhile. What's the last good book you read?

I read just about any genre. If I had to pick historical fiction would be my favorite but I'm open to anything.

The last good book I read was 600 Days of Edward

Thanks!

Replies

• Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Longest Ride, by Nicholas Sparks. Was a bit slow paced for me.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I've read almost 100 books since Jan 1st.. I keep track of them on goodreads through facebook or you can add the app to your phone :)
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    If you like crime fiction, I highly recommend James Patterson books. They are very easy to read and once you start, it's hard to stop.

I can finish one in about 5 hours (yes, that's reading all in one hit).

The Women's Murder Club series is fantastic (James Patterson).
  • Hunnergomeow
    Hunnergomeow Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Great book.
    Anything by Stuart MacBride is a fantastic read, you could also try anything by Ian Rankin :)
  • stananvik
    stananvik Posts: 23
    Options
    The 2 most recent historical fiction I've read are

"Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett

and

"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara

Both of them were good. Shaara's book is a Pulitzer Prize winner, but it is about Gettysburg...more of a guy type of book. Nonetheless, it is extremely well written and certainly I can understand why it won the Pultizer. Follet's book is more sweeping and a BIG novel, but if you think a book surrounding the times before, during and shortly after WW I is interesting, you might like it. Note: it also has quite a few strong female characters.

Happy reading!
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    any and all Chuck Palahniuk :)
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The Last Cato by Mathilde Asensi...
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Red Hill by Jamie Mcguire. Great book!

For Scarlet, raising her two daughters alone makes fighting for tomorrow an everyday battle. Nathan has a wife, but can’t remember what it’s like to be in love; only his young daughter Zoe makes coming home worthwhile. Miranda’s biggest concern is whether her new VW Bug is big enough to carry her sister and their boyfriends on a weekend escape from college finals.

When reports of a widespread, deadly “outbreak” begin to surface, these ordinary people face extraordinary circumstances and suddenly their fates are intertwined. Recognizing they can’t outrun the danger, Scarlet, Nathan, and Miranda desperately seek shelter at the same secluded ranch, Red Hill. Emotions run high while old and new relationships are tested in the face of a terrifying enemy—an enemy who no longer remembers what it’s like to be human.
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    I can throw a few suggestions out that run along the same vein as historical fiction...

Myth based

<b>The Renshai Chronicles: Mickey Zucker Reichert</b>
    As a matter of fact anything by her is a good pleasure read, I would actually recommend the Nightfall books before the Renshai even though they're pretty much strictly fantasy.

<b>Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet</b>, these are the Novels that the HBO miniseries were based on and are worth the read in my opinion. They can be a little long winded at times, but no where near Steven King long winded.

<b>Jack Whyte: The Camulud Chronicles</b>
    Starting with "Skystone" these books sucked me in and did not let me go, they converted me to a fan of this man's mind forever more. He put together an Arthurian legend with a Merlin that was more a trickster than a mage, a master of illusion and manipulation. All of his stuff is worth the read.

Fantasy and High Fantasy

Robin Hobb: Anything this woman has ever written is worth reading

Brandon Sanderson: Again.. if he put ink to paper, worth the few pennies to pick it up.

David Drake: See Above

Joe Ambercrombie: If you like gritty, realistic ****ed up anti-heroes this man is the man for you. The only thing that separates his heroes from his villains is the perspective that they are being written in. You will be faced with heroes you want to hate, villains you feel pity for and situations that make you put his books down and go.. well sh**. Start with The Blate Itself: The First Law: Book One

Stan Nicholls: Orcs. The entire series is written from the perspective of a band of Orcs which have been pretty much labelled deserters from their horde and are working against the establishment. It's interesting, fast paced and mindlessly entertaining. If you don't want to think too much and just want a good giggle while reading, these are the books for you! ;)

I can come up with more if needed or wanted!
  • LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    House of Leaves
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    House of Leaves

I second House of Leave. By Mark Danielewski
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've read almost 100 books since Jan 1st.. I keep track of them on goodreads through facebook or you can add the app to your phone :)

That's amazing. I've read 76 books and I also log on Goodreads. I don't see how I could have squeezed more into that 5 months and still held down my job!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Great book.
    Anything by Stuart MacBride is a fantastic read, you could also try anything by Ian Rankin :)

Kingsolver's newest book, Flight Behavior, was also good. But the best book I've read this year and winner of the Pulitzer Prize: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.
  • LaurenBrooke1843
    LaurenBrooke1843 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I reccomend anything written by Douglas Coupland, because he is amazing:)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Pillars of the Earth is one of the best historical fiction books I have ever read - and I have read a lot.

Yes it is very long, over 1000 pages, but also very easy to read.
  • rayzer1
    rayzer1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lone Survivor and The Wolf of Wall Street If you can read them before seeing the movie it helps.