General weight loss information. Please help :)

Options
Hi,

I am trying to lose a few pounds after several years of eating anything that is put in front of me.

I have been using myfitnesspal for the past week to keep track of my eating habits.

I do have a few general questions which I am hoping someone might be able to answer;

I have had a look over the past few days at my calorie intake breakdown and i have been set a goal of 55% on carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein. Whilst my intake of fat has been 20% & 13% so far, and my protein being 10% my carbs intake has been in the 70% range.

Is eating a high proportion of carbs that bad for you? (Obivously, i will try and lower this and increase my protein slightly as per my goal) However, how does eating a higher amount of carbs effect my weight loss because I am under my overall calorie intake for the day.

I have also been to the gym both days and have burned between 400-500 calories per session, so i'm sure this will help keep some weigh off even though I am eating a high proportion of carbs.

I hope someone can help :)

Thanks.

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Macros do not matter when trying to lose weight. However, I would up your protein intake a ton, probably closer to 40%
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Why is your protein percentage so low? MFP defaults it at 25% - you shouldn't go any lower than that unless you have some medical condition that results in you having to limit protein intake.

If you increase your protein, your carbs will most likely naturally decrease.
    Macros do not matter when trying to lose weight. However, I would up your protein intake a ton, probably closer to 40%

Uh, no. Totally unnecessary. 25-30% is fine.
  • richardedmunds1
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I have had a look at my settings/goals.

Current weight - 12st 2lbs
    Goal Weight: 10st
    Weekly goal: Lose 1lb per week.
    Activity level: Sedentary.

Below that, it has my nutrition goals and it is set to the following (are these automatic or should i change these myself?)

Calories: 1650
    Carbs 55%
    Protein 15%
    Fat 30%.

I have no medical conditions that requires me to have a low intake of protein.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I have had a look at my settings/goals.

Current weight - 12st 2lbs
    Goal Weight: 10st
    Weekly goal: Lose 1lb per week.
    Activity level: Sedentary.

Below that, it has my nutrition goals and it is set to the following (are these automatic or should i change these myself?)

Calories: 1650
    Carbs 55%
    Protein 15%
    Fat 30%.

I have no medical conditions that requires me to have a low intake of protein.

Yes, you should change these yourself. 50% carbs/25% fat/25% protein is pretty standard. I lift, so mine are set to 45% carbs/25% fat/30% protein. I take in at least 1 g protein per lb of bodyweight.