Hard to eat the calories

Options
Hi all

I have recently been following this (a week so far) I exercise too so I was very shocked to see I was actually under eating, a typical day would be three slices of brown toast, apple banana, three ryveta with mackerel in olive oil then scrambled eggs or beans on toast! anyway this was under by 500 calories and that was not even with exercise!

I find it hard to get my head around eating so much! does anyone else struggle?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I take it you've never been overweight then?
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I suggest you add some friends with open diaries and see what people are eating - it's a great way of getting menu ideas.

Also - you don't mention what you are drinking - tea, milk and juice all contain calories - never mind the odd treat of a glass of wine, chocolate or cake.

If most people were to eat the amount you are eating over an extended period of time they would be gnawing the legs off the table - especially if they are exercising a reasonable amount.

IMHO it is eating such a restrictive diet that leads many to binge and fail after a few weeks - if it can't be maintained over weeks, months or even, for some of us, years then I don't think it can work. If you can do it in a sustainable way good luck to you.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods. You cook with olive oil add alittle more, have a peanut butter sandwich (use regular 120 calorie a slice bread). a glass of milk (2 cups) has 300 calories, eat some variety of nuts, Almonds are good and calorie dense. If all else fails eat a bowl of ice cream. (full calories not the light stuff). Best of Luck
  • lorigreen125
    lorigreen125 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am overweight. But from a lack of metabolism due to hypothyroidism and tons of prednisone and asthma medicine. I also am not a big eater..i can go days on just a few bites. I am a single parent last 20 yrs and worked 60+ hours a week until last cpl years..i have been actually eating over 1200 calories all this week and I am just so STUFFED!! I did this to myself..I know..but still ugh!! I am eating calorie rich foods to try and make sure i eat the max calories so i can try and turn my metabolism back on. I have never been on a diet. I love food lol..i just never could find the time to eat. Anyways gf..I feel ya on this subject :(
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a busy life with 2 jobs and a large family - I had a hard time eating my calories at first. but I have been actively doing this for almost a week now. and I am finding it much easier now than I did a few days ago. and I feel so much better for it. I find my energy levels have increased, I am sleeping better and over all I just feel great.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1200 calories/day is the lowest recommendation when not under direct medical supervision.

If you're not underweight now, you probably were not eating like this before. Look at your vitamin A, C, calcium, and iron targets. If you make it your mission to hit those with real foods--as most doctors recommend--you'll almost certainly eat more.

Another strategy is to add in healthy fats, which are calorie dense.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    this was me when i first started, I couldn't seem to eat "healthy" and enough calories at the same time. A couple things, one, it's been a week, you'll find after a while that your body is not gonna feel so great on so little. second, you can still eat things that aren't what you'd typically feel like you "should" eat while. I've lost over 50 lbs, still eating pizza, and bacon, and cheese, and lots of things that are freakin' yummy, but in portions that fit within my goals. You'll figure it all out.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    second, you can still eat things that aren't what you'd typically feel like you "should" eat while.
    +1. Long-term changes usually find ways to come to peace with most foods--for example, yesterday I enjoyed a cheeseburger, chocolate truffle, beer, a soft pretzel, a latte, a gelato, etc.

You just have to moderate enough to meet your goals. :)
  • denners1977
    Options
    thanks everyone for your replied, I stuck with it and have learnt a lot the last week and also lost 2 pounds! I dint feel I'm as overweight as the scales, I am quite toned but trying to reduce body fat! I have been using calories up with an advocado and glasses of milk! mad how much sugar is in a banana! I am hooked as you can still have treats, sorry for the delay in replying
  • Fittie4Eternity
    Options
    I struggled with the exact same thing. I know it's hard to realise, but eating more is so worth it!
  • denners1977
    Options
    thanks Fittie4Etern, I hope you are achieving your goals :-) I love eating so this diet is a dream for me, doesn't feel like a diet