Grocery store NSV

Options
I'm a firm believer in cutting bad choices off at the source, i.e. if you don't buy sweets you are a lot less likely to eat them. I'm also trying to save a bit of money and figure this is a good place to cut back on the spending.

Today I was just stopping by the grocery store in the evening to pick up a few things and I saw they had Magnum Almond 3-pack on offer, half price. They are my favourite, and it's been quite hot today so everyone is in an ice-cream frame of mind. I was just debating whether I can fit them into my freezer and then I was like... but if you buy them you will want to to eat them all. So I decided to stand firm and walked away.

Came home with some lettuce, turkey, bananas and almond milk, just like planned. I'm quite proud of myself.

Have you ever had a NSV in a grocery store?

Replies

• Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's strange that this topic came up today. I was shopping yesterday and considered picking up a certain chocolate bar that I LOVE. I did the exact same as you; ''if I buy this, I'll just eat them all''. I didn't even let myself pick them up - I just walked on and felt so incredibly proud! :) This is something that has taken a long time to achieve.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Woho - well done! We're both applying a valuable strategy.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Had a similar moment, both myself and my S/O are getting healthier, I noticed at the store they had brand new jumbo sizes of his favourite chocolate, so I automatically picked up 2!! Then I thought how conflicted I'd be if he bought home 2 massives blocks of my favourite chocolate and put them right back on the shelf :laugh:
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    That's something to be proud of because the Magnum bars are AMAZING.......BUT.....are you going to live the rest of your life without every having one?
    I have FINALLY managed to train myself to have treats in the house and not consume them all at once. If I had to give up Talenti double dark chocolate gelato for the rest of my life I would not be able to maintain this lifestyle.
    (I have two tablespoons instead of the 1/2 cup serving on the container.) You can work treats into your daily calories.
    Life's too short for total deprivation.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had an NSV when I ask myself "why the f$&k are you putting this in your cart when you know you'll eat the entire thing?"
    It usually has to do with snickers bars, ice cream and other sweets. Now I just buy dark chocolate which I've learned to love and for some reason can control better.
    I love double carmel Magnum bars sooooo much but I only eat them once a week from my neighborhood ice cream man and I share with my hubby.
    Good for you for not lying to yourself! It took me years to stop doing that!
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think I have an NSV moment every time I go to the grocery store! Yesterday, I was exhausted after doing a huge bike ride and stumbled into the grocery store to get a few things for dinner. I found myself in the cookie and candy aisle. And I walked through and thought about my bike ride and how I would never dare blow all my hard work. I made it through and felt proud of myself for only getting the two things I came for!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    are you going to live the rest of your life without every having one?

4 replies, until someone brought up 'moderation.' :wink:

Moderation.GIF
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    are you going to live the rest of your life without every having one?

4 replies, until someone brought up 'moderation.' :wink:

Moderation.GIF
    Not really, I brought up substitution AND moderation. There's no deprivation in my life cause I've learned a lesson or 2 from this journey-one being I must be honest about my intentions. I KNOWN I'll eat all the Magnum bars in one sitting-therefore I only get one at a time-moderation!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    That's something to be proud of because the Magnum bars are AMAZING.......BUT.....are you going to live the rest of your life without every having one?

No, but I didn't actually WANT want one just then. I'll happily pick 1 up when I actually want to eat it and it fits into my day but I don't want to have 3 in the freezer waiting to trip me up :smile:
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I still eat chocolate daily (ooh, I'm opening myself up for criticism here! :wink: ) but there are a few sweeties I just refuse to buy now because I'm scared that moderation might just not work wth those. Moderation might sound boring but for now it suits me fine - 17lbs gone in 6 weeks and moderation has been the key!
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Excellent NSV! I have this struggle a few times every week! Shopping for food, which I do several times per week, is a trigger for me. In the past, I bought my favorite treats along with the groceries. If I buy them now and eat them in moderation, it triggers me to crave them more...and more...and more. I am not yet ready for moderation. Hopefully, I will be able to add these treats back in some time in the future.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I actually work in a grocery store. Worse than that, I work in the Hot Deli or Meals to Go section... meaning I cook/deepfry delicious food all day long. Since I started losing weight last summer, I have almost completely stopped buying anything from my department (with the exception of the odd sandwich). I think I just realized how big of a NSV that actually is!
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I also practice moderation. I LOVE❤️ doughnuts , so occasionally I will buy just one at the grocery store and not bring home a dozen that I just know that I would eat every one!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    my grocery store NSV

I bought the 1/2 price ice cream bars, knowing full well i would eat 1 at a time, when i had the room for them!

ETA : spelling
  • PositiveBody
    PositiveBody Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I so agree. We have to learn moderation....it takes time but it works!
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    I havent had a NSV in the grocery store yet but i was offered an amazing looking peice of cake yesterday with cream cheese icing and strawberries and ::drools:: it looked AMAZING but i was head strong and declinded.... Very proud moment for me.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    I havent had a NSV in the grocery store yet but i was offered an amazing looking peice of cake yesterday with cream cheese icing and strawberries and ::drools:: it looked AMAZING but i was head strong and declinded.... Very proud moment for me.

I would have ate and made it fit into my day!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It may sound weird but my NSV was buying a package of English toffee ice cream bars at Aldi. They are certainly not a healthy option, but I was originally planning to make this Japanese poundcake recipe from Pinterest with tons of cream cheese in it...and I decided not to, and to keep the ice cream bars around instead. I knew the cheesecake type dessert would go quickly in my home and probably cause 'issues' for my husband and I both, chipping away at it until it was gone within a couple days. The ice cream bars (180 cal each), while still questionable, lasted over 2 weeks and were eaten in moderation.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I'd rather fit 500 calories of steak than 500 calories of cake into my day, but that's just my preference. When I chose not to eat chocolate or sweets, it's usually because I want to be able to fit something savory/more filling in later on, not because I am "depriving" myself as some in the thread are suggesting. I'm imagining that a lot of people feel similarly.

However, thread topic: Magnum minis are my new favorite thing. My NSV with these is that I can stop at just one.
  • asdowe13
    Options

I'd rather fit 500 calories of steak than 500 calories of cake into my day, but that's just my preference. When I chose not to eat chocolate or sweets, it's usually because I want to be able to fit something savory/more filling in later on, not because I am "depriving" myself as some in the thread are suggesting. I'm imagining that a lot of people feel similarly.

However, thread topic: Magnum minis are my new favorite thing. My NSV with these is that I can stop at just one.

Awesome NSV!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!