Isn't 1200 calories too much for a 5ft tall woman?

Options

Replies

• AmayaJo1
    AmayaJo1 Posts: 34
    Options
    :noway:

41790593.png
  • bonniebrastile
    bonniebrastile Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 I eat 1200 calories. I lost 10 pounds but I am going to 1500 because I exercise everyday and I am stalled right now. My co-worker said to up my calories because I will burn it off when I exercise. I hope this is true.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I see this is an old thread but I am really happy to see the OP losing after increasing calories a little. I sometimes get scared to eat my current 1500 ish but I am still losing (sporadically but still losing) at that amount. Even when going up to 1600 cals I can still lose even though my TDEE is not super high.

Scientifically why do people who eat 1200 calories for a really long time start breaking their plateau when they increase a couple hundred? I've been wondering that a lot lately.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I eat around 1400 per day right now to lose weight (I'm 106lbs). I was eating up to 1900 for a month straight without breaking my 110lbs plateau. When I first started college I lived with such an unhealthy lifestyle, I eat cheesecake and sweets everyday, probably my calories intake was close to 2200. Still, my weight has never been more than 110. May be it's just me, may be it's my age. But to sum up I don't think 1200 is a whole lot for anyone at all.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft2 and 140 lbs. I find that eating above 1400 calories I start to gain weight.

If i do 1200 calories with exercise i start to lose weight. Without exercise... i dont. So that also leaves me to question the amount of calories recommended because if my net were 1200 i do not see weight loss for months and i dont ev. feel hungry.

At barely 5ft2 i aim for 1000 on one day 1200 on another with excercise

Holy what nuts.

Do you weight and measure your food?
    Do you partake In cheat days?
    Do you log in every single day consistently?

I know we're all different and stuffs but at 5'3.5" and 118 lbs if I did 1200 calories I would wither away into dust, let alone 1000 calories. I can lose at my current intake of 2300 if I go to the zoo or get drunk and jump fences too much, along with my usual training routine. I just. ..can't even

You'll have to exercise some imagination, then, because the other forum member told you what her situation is. I don't think you do actually understand that "we're all different and stuffs [sic]".
    Not this particular poster. But thanks for not understanding. My imagination works fine and there is no plausible way, unless you physically are unable to move, that anyone should eat that little.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How long are you giving 1200 calories to work before you get frustrated and cut your calories?

This is a good thought.....water weight can mask actual weight lost
  • emilyyyrussell
    emilyyyrussell Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    everyone is talking about how tall they are and how many calories a day they eat and whther they maintain or lose or gain... but its not just how many calories you eat. its where those calories come from. compare a 2000 calorie diet for a 5ft woman that is filled with fruits and vegetables and water. i dont think she's gonna gain weight from that. but if you're sitting around all day drinking diet soda and greasy junk food and animal products then yeah you're gonna suffer for it. its not just about calories in vs calories out.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    everyone is talking about how tall they are and how many calories a day they eat and whther they maintain or lose or gain... but its not just how many calories you eat. its where those calories come from. compare a 2000 calorie diet for a 5ft woman that is filled with fruits and vegetables and water. i dont think she's gonna gain weight from that. but if you're sitting around all day drinking diet soda and greasy junk food and animal products then yeah you're gonna suffer for it. its not just about calories in vs calories out.

It's important that calories in the diet come from food high in nutrients, if you are at goal and focused on body composition, macros matter a lot. But calories still do matter. 2000 calories from any source is way too much for a short woman who finds she loses only on 1,200.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    According to BMI charts, a five-foot tall woman is considered UNDERWEIGHT at 125 pounds.

no it's not

Not at all its actually closer to over weight..
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Actually it IS just calories in vs. calories out. I drink diet soda daily, I eat animal products, and I enjoy poptarts daily, and I am consistently losing weight (90% of my calories come from nutrient dense food, the other 10% come from my favorite treats). You don't need a super strict diet that will eventually lead to binges. Eat what you love in moderation and stay in a calorie deficit, and you wil lose weight.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I'm an inch taller than you, and couldn't lose at 1300-1400 calories with heavy lifting. The scale started to move when I bumped the calories up to 1700-1800, and I went from 150 or so to 98. This is low for some, but it's perfect for my frame.

I recently got my BMR tested professionally, at it's at around 1580..they were pretty surprised at the number for my size. I now consume anywhere from 1800-2200 a day to maintain. I attribute it to heavy lifting. Although there is debate on how much it actually helps your metabolism, my own experience is proof of it. I can honestly say I eat more than I did when I was heavier, so something had to have changed chemically or hormonally in the process of living a healthy lifestyle.
  • Violinna
    Violinna Posts: 3
    Options
    No. Healthy weight range for 5' is 98-130....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    According to BMI charts, a five-foot tall woman is considered UNDERWEIGHT at 125 pounds. That's why your body is fighting you. Stop punishing it. If you don't like the way you look, focus on toning up, not losing weight.

BMI charts from where? tonga? kuwait?
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so religious about BMI? I'm 5'1 and I couldn't get within what is considered a normal weight portion of the BMI without surgery. Best bet talk to your doctor a real discussion based on your needs and your body type when it comes to weight loss do some research to find out what works for you but don't eat under 1200 calories a day. Yes I'm a bit of hypoctrit for saying that when I occasionally only log 600 calories a day but I'm working on my bad habits and getting back on the weight loss horse.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    According to BMI charts, a five-foot tall woman is considered UNDERWEIGHT at 125 pounds. That's why your body is fighting you. Stop punishing it. If you don't like the way you look, focus on toning up, not losing weight.

BMI charts from where? tonga? kuwait?

If you read back you will see that the poster who said that retracted it and realised she had misread the BMI chart.
  • fathyphene
    Options
    The issue is that you have no lean mass on you (Muscle) so your metabolism is very slow. Thus you need such a low caloric intake that your not seeing results. By adding on some muscle you will be able to eat at a higher caloric intake and stile burn fat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    The issue is that you have no lean mass on you (Muscle) so your metabolism is very slow. Thus you need such a low caloric intake that your not seeing results. By adding on some muscle you will be able to eat at a higher caloric intake and stile burn fat.

if she had no lean mass on her then how pray tell would her bones be held together? how is she able to type and walk around?
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    How long are you giving 1200 calories to work before you get frustrated and cut your calories?

THANK YOU, fellow voice of reason!

The Sacred Holy 1200 calories per day, and the Almighty BMI table for that matter, do not apply to EVERYONE.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i didnt read this whole thing but my 6 year old is not a good eater so we are counting his calories. the days goals are 1200 to maintain at his height and weight. he is 6.

it saddens me when people think they need to eat less than my 6 year old.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    i didnt read this whole thing but my 6 year old is not a good eater so we are counting his calories. the days goals are 1200 to maintain at his height and weight. he is 6.

it saddens me when people think they need to eat less than my 6 year old.

but some people do need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight - mainly older, shorter, not very active women.

I agree it is not the right amount for everyone - but posts like this seem to be suggesting it is not right for anyone (or at least anyone adult) and that isn't correct either.