Calorie Confusion?

Options
I am 5'3 and approximately 140lbs. I would like to lose 2lbs per week. To do this, I would have to consume 1200 calories per day and also burn an additional 500 calories a day, since a deficit of 3500 calories equals one pound. I always struggle with keeping my calories at 1200 but don't understand why my log shows net calories as calories after exercise. It is also posting that I am under my calorie goal when I am over. I have had to reset the calorie goal to a net of 800 since I want to shoot for 1200 calories before exercise. HELP!

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1200 calories a day, and you burn an extra 500 a day, you would be getting only 700 calories a day which is not enough to live on.
    So, since you need a minimum of 1200 calories a day, if you burn 500, they add it to your day's calorie needs to make 1700.
    The working out is good for your body and health, but you need the 1200 calories to get all your nutrition....

For me....( I also try to have about 1200 calories a day)....the days I work out are great because I can consume more food :-)
    If I don't work out, I have to pay more attention to stay at 1200....
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Really? I've never heard that you should consume more to make up for the calories that are burned. So, there is no way at my height and weight that I can lose 2lbs a week? Maybe if I sometime increase my metabolism? I reset my daily calories to 800 since my plan is to workout everyday. I keep seeing my calories go over, so then I fit another workout in at night because I feel so guilty.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    i am about the same physique and can,t lose more then .7 pounds a week. You do not have enought weight to lose to lose 2 pounds since you would be starving your body. Do not go under 1200 cals a day net
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What I would do is pay attention to your total for the day rather than the remaining and stay at 1200. If you have ever done weight watchers this is like the extra pts you can earn after exercise. You can choose to eat them... or not.

I also have 1200.
  • thunder5
    Options
    If you eat too little your body will signal starvation and you will actually store fat instead. I agree, do not go under 1200 calories and I agree as well at 140 lbs, you don't have enough weight to lose 2 lbs/week. I wonder if resetting your goal to 1lb/week will put your calories in addition to exercise where you would like them? Just a thought. Good Luck! And I too have heard from friends who do weight watcher's, they are rewarded for exercise by being able to eat more. Too bad there wasn't a simple solution to all of all of this weight stuff!
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks, everyone! Wow, I have to say I am surprised to hear that I should only be losing 1 pound a week and that my NET calories should be 1200 instead of my GROSS calories. Ok, then I guess I am right where I should be. It's just so hard to get used to the concept of eating 1700 calories per day as that is what I need to "maintain" my weight. I'll try it...even though I am a little scared. Thought I was over today as I have just under 1100, but guess that means I can go have a 100 cal snack :smile:
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What I learned so far is:
    1- do not ever eat less than 1200 NET calories (especially us girls who need lots of hormonios to be balanced)
    2- less body fat you have less you will loose in a week
    3- closer you are to you ideal weight harder it is to loose
    4- choose whole grain and good fats
    5- eat a lot of fiber and omega 3 and 6
    6- Exercise at least 3 x a week 30 minutes a day
    7- drink lots and lots of water
    8- Stress is our enemy
    9- it takes time, persintency and endurance
    10- it is a lifestyle change and not a diet

So relax and it is ok if you cannot loose 2 lbs a week, as long you are not gaining and your eating habits are healthier and you are exercising frequently. I read before that exercise can boost metabolism, maybe that will help!