Are You In The Transformation Mode?

Options
If anyone had a reason to speak the words, “I just can’t do it” it would be this mother, a single parent of two very young children, holding down a 40 hour a week job and going to college full time as well. Whether it’s food, motivation, or temperament, it’s easy to believe we just can’t change; however, the mind is quite powerful. Her “can’t” was temperament. During a counseling session she told me, “I just can’t do this, I smashed another curling iron because I got so mad at my kids. I can’t afford this! I just don’t know what to do.” I suggested to her, “Why don’t you just stop smashing your curling iron.” She looked up at me and said, “I can’t. I just can’t control my temper. They get me so mad.” So I responded, “Well, let’s say we invite 30 or 40 folks into the room and I start doing the very things to you that your children do to get you so mad and just by chance you have your curling iron with you. Are you going to lose your temper and smash it?” She gave me the funniest look and said, “No! Of course not! Do you really think I would lose my temper in front of all those people?” To which I replied, “If you can control your temper among many, you can control your temper among few.” She never smashed another curling iron again.

Someone once said, “When you keep finding yourself in the same situation, the common denominator is you. Change of thinking creates change of action. Do different to get different.”

You can do this: You can reach your goal, whether it is to lose weight, become physically fit, or control your temper. So the question is; Is there anything inside you that is changing your wants, that is changing your thoughts, that is changing your values, that is changing your direction, that is changing your goals, that is changing your ideals? Are you in Transformation Mode?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    for sure, im at the age (or just past the age) where im going from being a kid to getting out into the world. my 21st b day was my wake up call, i realized that i had to grow up and start taking care of myself. making that decision was actually liberating beyond words, and it made it really easy to finally get down and do what i had to to get into shape for the first time since i was just a wee lad
  • MikeLAdams
    MikeLAdams Posts: 40
    Options
    I am certainly in transformation mode. I realized after my dad's cancer surgery that he would have to live with me for a while, and that if I did not transform my life, I would screw everything up, worst of all I would fail my dad when he needed me the most. I quit drinking, started exercising, formed a healthy diet... I feel physically up to the challenges, but the psychological challenges are still getting to me. Now I am working on patience and a positive demeanor, even when I feel like screaming and freaking out.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am certainly in transformation mode. I realized after my dad's cancer surgery that he would have to live with me for a while, and that if I did not transform my life, I would screw everything up, worst of all I would fail my dad when he needed me the most. I quit drinking, started exercising, formed a healthy diet... I feel physically up to the challenges, but the psychological challenges are still getting to me. Now I am working on patience and a positive demeanor, even when I feel like screaming and freaking out.

I applaud you. I believe you will do well.