I need some ideas for getting more protein

Options
I'm trying to increase my protein while keeping my fats low, can you guys give me some suggestions for High Protein, Low Fat Snacks?
Thanks!

Replies

• katydavis79
    katydavis79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein smoothies. That really helps me get mine in daily. Nut butters, string cheese, turkey pepperoni. Those are usually my go to snacks to help with protein intake. Hope that helps!

I forgot greek yogurt! I almost ALWAYS have that after a run. Good carbs and protein!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I like almonds (good fats!), lowfat cottage cheese w/ honey, and yogurt for snacks.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    almonds, walnuts, low fat cheese, egg whites, low fat ground turkey, and chicken

all great sources of protein.
  • mrshoffman07
    Options
    kashi cereal. I eat it as a snack.
  • StephanieBFree
    StephanieBFree Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    take a large romaine lettuce leaf, put a slice of deli turkey, or leftover chicken breast, sprinkle some low fat cheese, put some salsa on top and roll it up. You can change up the fillings and you will be getting great easy to go snacks. I quite often use tuna fish with low fat mayo and roll it up in a romaine lettuce leaf. I eat about five of them for lunch and it is very high on protein.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great, low fat one. Also, make yourself smoothies with silky tofu and some nuts, very nutricious and good for the body!
  • 4CaliCo
    4CaliCo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Honey! For some reason, protein is the one thing I get plenty of! I start my day with a piece of whole wheat toast, one egg (micro scrambled) and a slice of Jenny-o Turkey. Usually with dinner I have chicken with my meal. My protein count is always high! Protein in the morning is important!!
  • amandadrsg
    amandadrsg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like doing just deli counter low fat, low sodium skinless roasted turkey. There's about 60 calories and 12g of protein in 2 oz. (approx 3 slices but I go by weight since I have it shaved)... that's a rough estimate, but I get the Safeway/Randall's Primo Taglio Oven Roasted Sundried Tomato and Basil Turkey. I've also done the Boar's Head Low Sodium Roasted Turkey shaved. Both are about the same in calories and protein.
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, tofu, fat free milk, fish

I am a pescatarian so I am always looking for high protein low fat foods. fish is probably the best high protein low fat food.
  • smilestb99
    Options
    I would suggest Ezekiel bread (or bagels, english muffins, etc)- I usually eat a cinnamon raisin bagel or regular bagel for breakfast- the different bagels ranged between 11 and 13g of protein, 4-8g of fiber, and about 1.5g of fat.

Also, for a snack I will usually eat an apple with a Babybel light cheese (50 calories, 6g of fat) or some celery with almond butter.

Also, you could make a smoothie with a greek yogurt, almond milk (or another kind), frozen berries, a banana, etc. I always add a ton of spinach to mine, because you can't even taste it and it adds a ton of nutrients!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt ( has 2x the protein as regular yogurt)
    string cheese
    chicken breast
    cottage cheese
    special k has a drink flavored packet to add to your water too...has 5 grams of protein. Not much but it'll help boost up your protein a bit.
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    I have been drinking protein shakes. Ones that average 80-110 calories and 21-23g of protein.

It makes for a good afternoon snack.
  • missiklee
    missiklee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Rozarotti
    What kind of protein shakes do you buy?
  • minervasp73
    Options
    tuna mixed w just a smidge of Lemonaise and on a whole wheat bagel. Lots of protein and I'm full for hours.
  • missiklee
    missiklee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    tuna mixed w just a smidge of Lemonaise and on a whole wheat bagel. Lots of protein and I'm full for hours.

I have never hear of Lemonaise! Is that like lemon mayonaise?
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Shrimp. It's only 100 Calories, 2g of Fat and 21g Protein for a 3oz serving.
  • kaitlyn1818
    Options
    peanut butter oatmeal : 12g protein and 20g fat

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich : 12g protein and 10g fat

Italian goulash: 18g protein and 9g fat (made with 16oz elbow macaroni, 1 pound of ground turkey and 11oz tomato soup)

Meatloaf: 21g protein and 14g fat (the meatloaf is made with ground turkey instead of ground beef)

Those are all my foods that I've made with a good amount of protein and not so much fat.

everytime a meal calls for ground beef. I use ground turkey instead because it's a little bit cheaper and I really can't taste a huge difference after it is cooked.

Ground turkey nutrition facts (Jennie-O Groung Turkey (Gh) - Ground Turkey (50% Less Fat))

Calories 170 Sodium 80 mg
    Total Fat 13 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 3 g Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 19 g
    Cholesterol 110 mg
    Vitamin A 2% Calcium 8%
    Vitamin C 4% Iron 8%
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am looking to up my protein too. Lately i have chocolate protein powder mixed with almond milk and a few almonds. Or a banana and pb. Breakfast of eggs and spinach. Lunch of grilled chicken tenders.
  • thefatqueen
    Options
    I LOVE your idea with the romaine instead of bread for sandwich/roll ups for lunch!
  • lsiberian
    Options
    As a bodybuilder I am supposed to hit 1 gram per 1lb of lean body mass. I don't always make it. But generally a good protein meal will have 1 gram of protein per 10 calories. The best way to get protein is through lean meats and low to no-fat dairy products.

Protein powder is very helpful, but make sure you get the sucralose kind because it is the only sweetner capable of making protein powder taste good. I suggest Myofusion and have found it to be the best tasting of the quality proteins I've used.

Get a blender bottle if you want to do protein shakes. It will make your life much easier.