Did you increase your calories during the last 10-15 pounds?

Options
2»

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes. Went from 1 lb a week to 1/2 lb a week setting on here. It worked wonderfully.
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thats what im starting to do instead, i think bumping cals up as you approach your goal is a good idea, i added in exercise and strength training so i can still lose the last bit of fat but build muscle. and my body is feeling way better on more calories, my mood is improving and my energy as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that as you lose weight, your goal is decreasing as well. So technically if you keep the same goal from 15 lbs left to nothing, you will decrease your deficit anyway. I've decreased my activity a bit too (too cold to walk 2 hours a day!), so overall my deficit has decreased by staying at 1600 calories.
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me wonder whether I need to bump up my calories too. I have about 5 pounds left to lose and I have been at the same weights for a long time ( although I am more interested in body fat loss than the scale)
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I bumped my calories by about 200-300 calories a day in my last five pounds or so. Don't know if it made a difference, though, as I was so nervous about the sudden bump in cals that I also bumped up my cardio by about twice the amount per day. Therefore, am still slowly losing.

Am thinking that trading a cardio day or two for weight training would slow this down... any thoughts?
  • everyatom
    everyatom Posts: 2
    Options
    okay so I weigh 187 I want to weigh 180. I dropped a lot of weight at first but then I hit my plateau and now I'm like 3 months into not losing any weight. I'm eating under 2000 calories a day. I run 5-7 kilometers a day and I lift 3 times atleast a week. Should I up my caloric intake?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I started increasing by 100 calories/day every 1-3 weeks once I was 6 lbs from goal. That was 3ish weeks ago, and now I'm 4 lbs from goal and eating 200 more calories than I was before. Still losing, it seems. I just bumped it up to 1810 gross, which is my TDEE - 10%. If I lose more than .4 lb this week (or next week, or the next), I may try another 50-100 calories. I'm trying to ease my way to maintenance instead of going there suddenly and gaining a few pounds, as many transitioning to maintenance end up doing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    okay so I weigh 187 I want to weigh 180. I dropped a lot of weight at first but then I hit my plateau and now I'm like 3 months into not losing any weight. I'm eating under 2000 calories a day. I run 5-7 kilometers a day and I lift 3 times atleast a week. Should I up my caloric intake?

no you need to start logging accurately and weighing your food...you are not in a plateau you are in maitenance.
  • everyatom
    everyatom Posts: 2
    Options
    I keep track of all my carbs and calories. I use my fitbit app and I log every calorie. It doesn't sync onto this site for some reason. I keep a 1000 cal deficit and exercise every day...
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Mainly up calories if you feel too tired to even be active, otherwise yeah you can up the calories but its just going to take longer (much longer than just 'slowing down') for you to get to the goal.

Right now i'm about 10-15 out and I'm thinking of dropping cals if anything, going this way eating more is just taking too long for me. Depends what you want. when you're much closer then yeah up the cals keep the strength and activity up and only have a small deficit but not that far out from your goal, your body isn't near enough to how you want it to be yet.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I did, too. Went from 1 lb/wk to 0.5 lb/wk to 0.25 lb/wk. Decided to switch to maintenance a couple of pounds short of my 2nd goal because I wanted to take a break. I didn't have a weight gain shifting to what I thought was maintenance. My weight didn't change for a month.

Then I decided to bulk (was already lifting heavy). Added 250 cals per day, changed nothing else and my weight popped up 3 lbs in 2 days and stayed there for a couple of weeks. Had to add more calories to get it moving up again. So, I'm guessing I was just slightly under maintenance before and didn't replenish my glycogen levels until I finally added enough cals.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    No. I just stuck where I was. But my weight loss did slow down anyway.
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I started increasing by 100 calories/day every 1-3 weeks once I was 6 lbs from goal. That was 3ish weeks ago, and now I'm 4 lbs from goal and eating 200 more calories than I was before. Still losing, it seems. I just bumped it up to 1810 gross, which is my TDEE - 10%. If I lose more than .4 lb this week (or next week, or the next), I may try another 50-100 calories. I'm trying to ease my way to maintenance instead of going there suddenly and gaining a few pounds, as many transitioning to maintenance end up doing.

You look awesome!!! I'm going to send you a FR (with a message of course!)
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I only had 20lbs to lose to begin with, but I started with 1lb a week. When the recommended calories decreased to the point that I laughed at number (I think it was like 1420 cals for me), I reduced it to 1/2 lb loss a week. When the cals recommended felt too low again I decided it was time for maintenance. Now I'm pretty happy at 1620 and eating back exercise calories. I say all this to say that dropping to the 1/2lb a week was a nice transition for me, but I didn't do it by any sort of "plan" to do it. I really just listened to my body.