Trying to join the Army

Options
Trey046
Trey046 Posts: 5 Member
Hey guy's and gals, my names trey and I have decided to join the military and give my family of 4 (including me) a better life. I am 21 and 285 pounds, I currently have a 17 inche neck and a 52 inche waist. I must maintain a 17 inche neck and lose 12 inches off my belly to get to a 40 inche belly to join. I am wanting to do Insanity and starting running. I find it EXTREMLY hard to breath when I workout. I would love to get some insight from this form on what I should do. I think the biggest problem I will have is eating. My family has basically no money to afford more than cheap dinner that isn't good for you. I hope I can do this, I need to do this.

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    You can eat cheap dinners and still lose weight. You just have to watch your portions and have a calorie deficit.

As for the fitness side. To get past the Army PT test, you will need to perform a set number of push-ups in 2 min and sit-ups in 2 min then run 2 miles for time. The breathing will come with cardiovascular training if you don't have an underlying medical condition like asthma (which would be a disqualifier from enlisting). Look into the Couch to 5k (C25K) program and get started. Insanity will be okay, but you will probably get more benefit strength wise from a body weight strength program like those on nerd fitness http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ or convict conditioning.

Basic training is quite demanding on the body, but they don't push you straight into 6 mile runs or 12 mile loaded ruck marches. At least when I went through it, they do a progressive train-up to the longer distances and reps.

Best suggestion I can give you is to focus on your calorie deficit with what ever food you can afford. Try to keep a good amount of protein to maintain your muscle mass because you will need that strength when you get to basic training. Work on your cardiovascular health, but don't push too hard to fast since that is the easiest way to cause an injury that will just set you back even farther. Start a good strength/resistance training program. If you can afford a gym or have access to free weights, heavy lifting (3-5 rep range) will give you the best bang for your buck in terms of your goals, but because the Army uses a lot of body weight exercises in basic training, doing body weight work at home will be more than sufficient.

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you want some prior military as support.
  • Trey046
    Options
    I dont have anything to track the calories i burn, also it's really hard to count calories for me. Like let me give you an example if I cook a baked chicken breast what can I put on it for flavor that isn't gonna completly ruin the calorie count, and how many calories is just a chicken breast without adding anything. another sucky thing is i don't have a gym to go to :( just the home DVD.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I dont have anything to track the calories i burn, also it's really hard to count calories for me. Like let me give you an example if I cook a baked chicken breast what can I put on it for flavor that isn't gonna completly ruin the calorie count, and how many calories is just a chicken breast without adding anything. another sucky thing is i don't have a gym to go to :( just the home DVD.

Not having much money then will play into your plan then by just eating less.

You dont need to have anything to track the caloris you burn. If you are on MFP you obviously are on the web. You can find how many calories you need to lose weight and how many calories are burnt by various exercises.

You will need to lose some serious weight to be able to join. They do have a tape test for body fat but you really dont want to have to deal with that and really need to focus on the number on the scale.

As for a gym? Sure you have one, it is called mother nature. If you want to e a part of the Armed Forces you need to learn how to adapt and deal with what you have and dont give BS excuses like the ones you are giving thus far. Losing weight can be extremely cheap. You eat less food, and just really need a pair of running shoes or two per year. The rest you can do, such as pushups and situps, wherever you are located.

Goodluck. Get out and run, run, run and run some more. To rest go and do pushups and situps. The standards are all online and/or at a recruiting depot. There needs to be no excuses.

To get ready when I enlisted I got ready by running in 90+ heat in the middle of the day in long sleeves and sweatpants to get ready for it. You dont need much other than determination and dedication to get it done.

Goodluck
  • ImmoralWayz
    Options
    Joining the military is a big decision, but it can be one that sets you up for future success. As far as working out just start working on pushups and situps and building up to a 2 mile run. That is what the Army tests you on so you don't have to join a gym. When I went to basic training there were people who were overweight and out of shape but by the time it is over you WILL be in better shape and able to pass an APFT, Basic Training is focused on ensuring everyone can pass the minimum requirements. Some people can do more than others but don't worry too much about being a PT stud before you join. Make sure to drink lots of water and watch your portion sizes if you don't have any way to track calories, no need to overthink it.

Also, my biggest advice is to really research what MOS (military job) you want to go into and speak to a recruiter when you are ready.

Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions.

A good site for pushups and situps is : 300situps.com and alternative100pushups.com it works!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is that you do to make weight and fitness standards, make sure it is something sustainable. Once you're in, you don't get to breathe a sigh of relief and go back to old habits. It might take a little while, but you will get tossed to the curb. There are many ways to give your family a good life, and while it is a good motivation to serve, I hope it isn't your only one.
  • thavoice
    Options
    Joining the military is a big decision, but it can be one that sets you up for future success. As far as working out just start working on pushups and situps and building up to a 2 mile run. That is what the Army tests you on so you don't have to join a gym. When I went to basic training there were people who were overweight and out of shape but by the time it is over you WILL be in better shape and able to pass an APFT, Basic Training is focused on ensuring everyone can pass the minimum requirements. Some people can do more than others but don't worry too much about being a PT stud before you join. Make sure to drink lots of water and watch your portion sizes if you don't have any way to track calories, no need to overthink it.

Also, my biggest advice is to really research what MOS (military job) you want to go into and speak to a recruiter when you are ready.

Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions.

A good site for pushups and situps is : 300situps.com and alternative100pushups.com it works!
    Good advice.
    I would suggest talking to more than one recruiter actually to get all the facts straight. Have 3-4 MOS's that you WANT to actually do and DO NOT allow them to talk you into one that you are not really fond of. I have seen alot of kids get swayed into positions they really didnt want.

As this person said, check out the standards. Yes there are people who are out of shape when they go...DO NOT BE ONE OF THEM.
    There are enough stressers in BCT and worrying about the PT test shouldnt be one of them. I have never came close to failing one and even at that there is some aprehension on PT test day. Those who came in ill prepared had added stress. One of the ways to stay off the DS's radar is to come in physically prepared.
  • cafeduus
    cafeduus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for wanting to join the military. It is not something everyone can do or wants to do.

Also, I concur with what everyone else has said. You don't need to belong to a gym to start
    working on your fitness now. If you go online and see what the standards are for you, for
    your height and age, those are you goals. Just don't make excuses, because in the military
    there are no excuses, you either do it or don't, not doing it, is not an option.

Being in the army can be very demanding, but also very rewarding. You know that in the
    army you will be doing ruckshack marches, and that's usually all of your gear on your
    back. So, start going out and walking, then build up to running, and then maybe put a
    bookbag on your back, with some stuff in it, so you can get use to what it will be like.

As for your diet, a lot of it is portion control, and you can eat healthy on a small budget.
    You just have to sit down and plan out your meals and menus for the week. And hopefully
    no one in your family is a picky eater.

I was in the military and it offered me wonderful opportunities and put me in the best
    shape of my life. Feel free to add me as a friend, because the most important part
    right now is accountablility. Also, you might want to talk to a recruiter and see if he might
    be helping other future recruits to get into shape.

Good luck and again, thank you for making the decision to join the military.
  • BuffaloPat
    BuffaloPat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Trey,

Best of luck with your goal. As a veteran, I am glad to here you have the desire to serve your country. Don't worry about counting the calories you have burned with exercise. There is no device that will give you an accurate number on this. My advice would be to enter your info here at MFP as a sedentary lifestyle, lose two pounds per week, and then track your food. You need to eat the number of calories it says per day and try to stay within +100 calories of that number. Weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise.

When it comes to the physical fitness, you need to be able to complete the PT test before you enter. I know they don't require this, but if you meet their requirements for body fat percentage and are not physically fit entering basic training, you will get injured. I guarantee it. So, I also recommend the Couch-to-5k as a start, there is also an app for 100 pushups and 100 sit-ups. You won't need to do anywhere near that many when you do your PT test, but it won't hurt to be able to do it.

My last bit of advice. When you get to basic training, remember that it is mostly a head game. Do exactly what you are told, when you are told to do it. Don't do more than you need to, or less than expected. Do EXACTLY what you are told. If you do this, you will be fine. Expect to get singled out. Even with the weight loss before going in, you are still very likely to be heavier than most of the other privates, and the Drill Sergeants won't let you forget it. Good Luck!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I loved my time in the Army, and had I not had children i would still be in.

I looked up the current PT standards, for a 21 year old male:

*49 pushups -check out youtube for military pushups
    *87 Situps -these aren't crunches...these are honest-to-god situps
    *2 mile run in 15:12

These are for 70%...the lowest I've ever seen any first sergeant accept. I had a few though that would assign extra PT for those under 75% on an APFT.

In addition to working your body hard to get in and make it through basic, check out an ASVAB book and study it! Much of what decides what job you qualify for is determined by your ASVAB score, and your GT score (the GT is a component of the ASVAB). The rule of thumb is anything less than a 50 will get you jobs in combat MOS's, and service support (though this isn't always the case...I think combat engineers need a higher GT than is possible with less than a 50, for sure the finance guys needed a higher one), scores over 50 get you more support...

My brother scored a 38 and became a glorified mall cop, another one scored 97 and is a sateillite programmer, I scored 98 and chose Intelligence...But the higher your score, the wider your options are.

EDITED: Drill sergeants can smell weakness, so agree completely with the above poster...start this now -DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS!! I once saw a drill reduce a guy to tears over this...
  • Trey046
    Options
    I guess I should clear the air a little, I actually want a Combat job, I either want to be a MP or Infintry. I really want to be the front line in defending our homeland, My grandfather and my father also served our country, My grandfather was in the navy and my father was a private contracter. I need this not only to give my family a furture but to help my personallity. I won't tell my whole life story but in a short story I never felt as if i had the childhood somebody should have had. I Know I need to grow up and stop being stuck being a child. I want to be the best father I can be, if that means giving my own life on the front line. I know I can advance through the ranks with determination as did my grandfather. I am just so lost at this moment in what to do thats why I came to MFP.
  • thavoice
    Options
    I guess I should clear the air a little, I actually want a Combat job, I either want to be a MP or Infintry. I really want to be the front line in defending our homeland, My grandfather and my father also served our country, My grandfather was in the navy and my father was a private contracter. I need this not only to give my family a furture but to help my personallity. I won't tell my whole life story but in a short story I never felt as if i had the childhood somebody should have had. I Know I need to grow up and stop being stuck being a child. I want to be the best father I can be, if that means giving my own life on the front line. I know I can advance through the ranks with determination as did my grandfather. I am just so lost at this moment in what to do thats why I came to MFP.
    [/quot

If you want a combat job then I wouldnt become an MP!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    i wasn't knocking the combat MOSs...my husband was an Airborne Ranger, and my father was a tanker. Still, the better you score, the better opportunities there are for special schools and such after you enlist.

I applaud your patriotism, and your determination to "defend the homeland", but truth be told, you'll probably spend more time training, working in the motorpool and pulling detail/duty. The methods of combat have been changing for years, an M-16 is a handy thing to have, and no one is saying these are phasing out any time soon, but gear is getting much more technical than it was in my day, and that was only 15 years ago.

And combat MOSs? You're looking at 80% percentile for the APFT, higher for the elite groups, like Rangers or SF. my husband was with the 2BN, 75th Rangers and he couldn't score below 95% and still expect to be able to leave post on the weekends. Many of those guys are on the extended scale...
  • cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    What I did as a poor person: filled bags with dirt and used them as weights....walked to the groceries and walked back with two full hands and a backpack.... walked/ run lots of hills.....ran like someone was try on to catch me....joined free run at local running groups....used a wooden bored with a little cushion to do incline sit-ups.....did squats.....walked with a backpack with bags of dirt for weight......ate a lot of chicken, salad....pasta...fruit....( some of the things I could think of right now)
    My outcome in basic trainning: it was too easy......Max my PT
    Use what you have.....Good Luck....Go get it!! :D
  • Trey046
    Options
    Thank you
  • Chronicle113
    Chronicle113 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was in a combat MOS in the army for 4 years and now doing reserve. Those jobs are physically demanding. However, it's more on mindset. Having strong mental fortitude is one a the most imperative aspects of joining the army. Basic training is ok and kind of like being trained as an athlete. As long as you have the will, the motivation and the mental fortitude to succeed, you do great and fit in nicely in the service.
  • Lucy0304
    Lucy0304 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My son lost nearly 70 lbs in 5 months by cutting carbs and eating as much unprocessed foods as possible. Our food bill actually went down by cooking from scratch instead of buying packaged food. We already were cooking at home because I was the only one employed. I have been supporting our family alone for over 10 years so I know what you are going through.

The secret to making flavorful meats (especially chicken) is to brine or marinate it. I put frozen meat in a Ziploc bag or container the night before with a simple brine or marinade and let it thaw & season at the same time.

My second recommendation is invest in a crock pot. You can use cheaper cuts of meat, trim the excess fat, and simmer it all day and it will be as tender as the more expensive cuts...which may also have a higher fat content.

My last suggestion is to look for recipes with 5 or fewer ingredients. It is very frustrating to try to come up with a variety of meals
    when all the recipes have 20 ingredients or some spice you'll use once that costs $100 an ounce. Variety is very important to keep you satisfied. Satisfied = less cravings.

By the way, I'm a 59 year old woman and I lost 21 lbs while my 24 year old son was losing his 70. So stay determined. Our country needs good soldiers.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    What I did as a poor person: filled bags with dirt and used them as weights....walked to the groceries and walked back with two full hands and a backpack.... walked/ run lots of hills.....ran like someone was try on to catch me....joined free run at local running groups....used a wooden bored with a little cushion to do incline sit-ups.....did squats.....walked with a backpack with bags of dirt for weight......ate a lot of chicken, salad....pasta...fruit....( some of the things I could think of right now)
    My outcome in basic trainning: it was too easy......Max my PT
    Use what you have.....Good Luck....Go get it!! :D

YES!!! My exercise and food program consists of all of these things. Broke as a joke, but no excuse for not going for a dream and SUCCEEDING. I do heavy lifting. I do this at home with what I've got. That means lots and lots of textbooks (I'm a student who keeps everything I've learned from, lol) loaded into a dufflebag. Sling it on your back for squats, lift over your head for overhead presses, lift from the ground for deadlifts, etc. Cost $0.00 (except the cost of internet to get ideas).

Running's free, jump rope costs $1 (or make your own, like me, I'm truly frugal). There's your cardio.

OP---YOU can succeed. Eating "right" really doesn't cost any more (even is a bit cheaper) than eating "wrong" and too much. You have an honorable goal and wish you the best in finding your motivation and support!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Salsa gives a lot of flavor for around 20 calories for 1-2 tablespoons (less is more). Or brush with BBQ sauce or cajun seasoning or lime & cilantro & cumin for a Mexican twist. Chicken's not my favorite, but it is usually the cheapest option, so I just put it in recipes (even if it's just Hamburger Helper) in place of hamburger or fattier meats.
  • Trey046
    Options
    Thank you again guys for all of your support,
  • bandgeek709
    bandgeek709 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Trey,

I am also trying to lose weight to join the military in the last two months I've lost 40 pounds and have about 60 more pounds to go. You can do this and you don't have to spend a lot of money to do it. Although my job has always been more physically demanding then most I also have changed my lifestyle. I walk to my library on my days off instead of driving and around my neighborhood . I always park further away from the store now. And as far as eating cheaper there is nothing cheaper than an can of vegetables which will be your best friend. Don't drink any soda either just buy plenty jugs of water they are under a dollar buy maybe 2-3 a week and challenge yourself to Finish them. As far as a gym I don't belong to one either because of the cost. So I do planks, crunches, leg raises and a bunch of mixes I've found on the internet while watching tv. As far as the branch your joining I'm not trying to tell you which one to join but I've heard that the Air Force is better for people with families. Even so whichever one good luck we can do this !!! Also make sure your family is ready to diet with you that always helps. Good luck