calorie confusion: A few questions for you experts

Options
Hey guys, i'm new to Myfitnesspal and love it so far! I've lost about 5 pounds in the first week :) But i would like to understand a bit more of how it works. SO here are a few Qs for you:
1) Does MFP take into account your height/weight/gender when calculating the calories burned while exercising. If not how do you go about calculating them? I'm thinking its best to understimate them that to overestimate them.

2) Also, i'm quite confused about calories. My basal metabolic rate (which i know isn't the be all and end all, but a guideline) is 1,495 calories. I've also read that if you reduce your caloric intake by 500 a day, you should lose 1 pound a week. How is it that MFP has put me on 1,200 cals a day (only about 300 under my BMR) But i've managed to lose 5 pounds? Is it just that this is my first week? or is it possible i've been calculating these things wrong?
Thanks all!

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    1) MFP does take your height, weight, gender, and age into account when calculating everything, including how much you burn per activity. You should understand that every calorie burned calculator is a best guess, and the only way to get a closest to accurate reading is to use a heart rate monitor. However, I have found that the values here are mostly close enough so I don't worry about it.

2) MFP will not set your calorie intake to less than 1200 a day. This is because for most people it is extremely unhealthy and counterproductive to eat less than 1200. If you are exercising, eating quality, healthy foods, and staying at or under calorie goal, you will lose weight. The first week will be one of it not THE biggest week in weight loss, especially if you have a lot to lose.

In general, I trust MFP. I do my best to be healthy and listen to what it suggests. So far for me, it has worked. 15lbs since Halloween. :smile: Good luck!!
  • bowserette
    bowserette Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but as for the first question, it does take your measurements into account. My boyfriend also has an account on here, and even if we do the exact same exercise for the same amount of time, it always shows different calories burned for each of us.

As for the second one, I've lost about 6 pounds in my first week, but I know from past experience that will slow down. I think our bodies sort of freak out the first week or so, but it should even out to 1-2 pounds a week later on. Also, remember your weight fluctuates from day to day and during different times of the day.

Hope that helps some! :) Welcome!
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. Crap, i wish the weight loss would stay like this! I'm glad to know though that i can trust the calculations here :)
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Jade is right, your measurements will be huge as well. Take them now as the before and then take them every few weeks. You'll be amazed how fast you change! When the weight loss stalls, the measurements will make you feel better. I was stuck in between 2lbs for a few weeks but when I realized I had lost an inch of my waist and another one off my hips, I felt SO much better about it!!

And, BTW, congrats on the weight loss so far! There is no better motivation than results, so keep that motivation and stay away from the scale for a few days if for no other reason than to not get discouraged.
  • IsraaQ
    IsraaQ Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I normally use a heart rate monitor when I exercise and tbh with you found out that mfp DOES actually overestimate calories burned.. But that's only my observation. I suggest you buy one and use it just to be safe. Good luck
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I normally use a heart rate monitor when I exercise and tbh with you found out that mfp DOES actually overestimate calories burned.. But that's only my observation. I suggest you buy one and use it just to be safe. Good luck

This is why I tend to eat only about half of my exercise calories back. If I eat all of them back, then I might actually be overeating if MFP has overestimated the burn. But eating about half of them back and I am safe. :flowerforyou:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I found that if I entered the entire exercise time and saw all those extra calories on my food diary I would tend to over indulge. So, I started only putting in HALF my exercise time and using most of the extra calories on the diary. Just a way I found to psych myself out.