Cheat Meals and Cheat Days!

Options
Does anyone have scheduled cheat meals or cheat days?? If so, how do you personally implement yours? Has it helped/hurt your weight loss/fitness efforts? Do you keep your meals/days under a certain calorie goal? Do you log your cheat meal/day? I know, so many questions!

I'm tempted to add cheat meals or maybe possibly a cheat day to my schedule, but I'm a little nervous!

Replies

• mattjft
    mattjft Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had cheat days when i started my journey where i over ate and didnt really log or logged to the best that i could and it usually ended up being one or two of my days off. Now a days I have maybe a cheat snack or once in a great while a cheat meal but never a whole cheat day anymore. When I do have my occasional cheat though I make sure to fit it into my goal calories so its more a macro nutrient cheat then a real cheat. I am keeping my "cheating to a super minimum because I am trying to shed the last few pounds of fat through my mid section and eating completely clean is the easiest way to do that!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I don't call them cheat days/meals. If there's an event coming up where I know I will be consuming a lot of food/alcohol, I plan ahead for it. I will do extra exercise during the week to make room for the treat meal.

It IS possible to work a treat meal into your calorie goals. I think this is important because finding a balance is what keeps the weight off for LIFE, not just while you're dieting. Find something that is sustainable for you, forever.

That said, one fried chicken and waffles won't make you fat, one salad won't make you skinny.

ETA: LOG YOUR CHEAT MEALS!!! And then move forward.
  • tefleon
    tefleon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't call them cheat days/meals. If there's an event coming up where I know I will be consuming a lot of food/alcohol, I plan ahead for it. I will do extra exercise during the week to make room for the treat meal.

It IS possible to work a treat meal into your calorie goals. I think this is important because finding a balance is what keeps the weight off for LIFE, not just while you're dieting. Find something that is sustainable for you, forever.

That said, one fried chicken and waffles won't make you fat, one salad won't make you skinny.

^^ This.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks! So far, I've had cheat meals where I basically just go over my daily calorie goal. My goal is 1200 and sometimes I will go up to around 1500 or 1600, which isn't that much to me considering I'm 5'9 and 163. It is SO hard losing when you don't have too, too much to lose. Great job losing 62!
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Once a month, my Husband and I take a date night and we'll go out for a pub tea. I don't overeat all day but I just have that meal and maybe share some afters.

This has not negatively impacted our weight loss and it gives us a treat to look forward to!

We'll also treat ourselves on Birthdays, Holidays and when Family visit but again, we don't go overboard. Everything in moderation:-)

Kaela x
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I usually do a cheat meal where I will fast that day until the evening meal and pretty much eat whatever. My TDEE is 2200 so even on my days I have a cheat meal I am usually under it.

Win. Win.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days because life happens! I don't particularly plan on them, but if I start feeling super hungry all the time, or I have a family dinner or something I just go with it while making the smartest choices possible and only eating until I am satisfied, not stuffed like I used to! I've never gained any "real weight" or fat I should say. Since this is a life change, you need to still enjoy food!

Also, I LOG everything. I logged over 6,000 calories for memorial day!!!! Your diary is for YOU. If you gain 2 lbs one week, you want to look back into your records and figure out why. If you lost a 1 lb and were doing something right, you want to know what that something was. Don't be ashamed! The second I started logging in every single bit, every single taste, I started seeing more progress.
  • tefleon
    tefleon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks! So far, I've had cheat meals where I basically just go over my daily calorie goal. My goal is 1200 and sometimes I will go up to around 1500 or 1600, which isn't that much to me considering I'm 5'9 and 163. It is SO hard losing when you don't have too, too much to lose. Great job losing 62!

1600 isn't bad at all. You BMR is around 1550 using the figures you gave based on you do nothing all day so if you log 1500 calories you're still under your maintenance figure.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I try to work it into my weekly calorie allotment. Like others, I'll eat lighter or exercise more to make room in my budget for extra calories. But, I also allow myself daily treats, a hard cider with dinner or a 1/2 cup of ice cream in the evening, sometimes a Starbucks. I've also found that it's harder for me to go over my calories now. I tried to eat whatever I wanted one day and ended up feeling over-full and gross. AND it didn't give me the same temporary boost binging used to give me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I try to make it fit. As such, I try to limit what won't fit to special occasions... and yes I log everything (although my worst day has been 4000 or something, I just get stuffed).
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have scheduled cheat meals or cheat days?? If so, how do you personally implement yours? Has it helped/hurt your weight loss/fitness efforts? Do you keep your meals/days under a certain calorie goal? Do you log your cheat meal/day? I know, so many questions!

I'm tempted to add cheat meals or maybe possibly a cheat day to my schedule, but I'm a little nervous!
    I cannot have cheat meals or days. I fall off the wagon and have a hard time getting back when I do. This time around, I just have treats every day, worked into my food diary. I've had more ice cream and candy now, than when I was 35lb heavier. I've stuck with it a lot longer this time too.