How do you learn how to run?

Options
Hi

I went for my 90 minute walk today and heaps of people were running past me - I tried running but I run out of breath really quick and have to stop. Does anyone have any tips on how you build up to running? I have 31kgs (62 pounds) to lose and find it quite uncomfortable to jog. Any hints would be great :flowerforyou:

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    C25K - Google it or search in the forums here :bigsmile: So much info already posted on becoming a runner!
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    OK Thanks!! :)
  • emjprincess
    Options
    Hi there,

I learned to rum! :) I hadn't done it since school and was reading a magazine with a running feature and was really inspired. So I put on my trainers thinking 'phhht, running is easy, i can do this!' Well.....I ran for all of about 20 seconds and thought 'ooohhh my god, I can't run!!' But I persisted!!

My tip is; Walk briskly for a few minutes to warm up...then lightly jog for ONE minute. Go back to walking pace for 2 minutes. (or longer if you need to) Then run again for one minute, walk for 2 minutes, etc. If yu are determined and push yourself, you will be AMAZED how quickly your fitness improves.

I now run about 5 - 6 miles and I started where you are! It helped me SHED weight. My profile pic is me at my target weight and I got there by running.

At a certain point in a run now, I get almost high. I break through the pain barrier and have masses of energy and almost feel like I could run forever! Of course that feeling subsides, cos I have to stop, but that feeling is fabulous!!

Good luck!! :) xx
  • TeriTee
    TeriTee Posts: 38
    Options
    I went with this route the fall before last, because I had always been pretty horrible at running and definitely could not have done Couch to 5K:

http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm

By the end I was able to consistently jog at least half an hour straight every time I went running, and in the beginning I could barely make it one minute. I even ran (very slowly haha) a couple 5ks last year - I recommend it!

Good luck! You can do it :)
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Thank you emjprincess I will start this tommorrow - You look fabulous by the way :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Thank you TeriT I will look up the link :flowerforyou:
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    C25K. I would recommend it, its how I learned to run.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Have a look see. Eases you in gently :happy:
  • emjprincess
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou: I'm 13.5lbs heavier than that now...but i'm working on it! First weigh-in day on Tuesday, can't wait!

All the best...let us know how you get on with the running! :wink:

em xx
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Thank you Lu123 I will check out the link :)
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    C25K and similar programs are probably the best. Lots of people here have followed it with much success.

Like you, I was doing long walks last summer, seeing people run past, and thought I'd give it a go... Did too much and subsequently spent the last 6 months in physiotherapy (and probably another 3-6), so yes, take it easy and be careful.

"No pain, no gain" is utter rubbish[1] - if it hurts, STOP!

Enjoy, and best of luck with your first 5K!

[1] ok, there are some exceptions, like forcing mobility in a stiff joint, but only under medical advice.
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Thanks Goron59 :)
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My tip is; Walk briskly for a few minutes to warm up...then lightly jog for ONE minute. Go back to walking pace for 2 minutes. (or longer if you need to) Then run again for one minute, walk for 2 minutes, etc. If yu are determined and push yourself, you will be AMAZED how quickly your fitness improves.

Yeah. Intervals do make miracles!
    Other than that, just run progressively increasing the distance and start humbly. Your body is not used to it, so it's bound to be uncomfortable at first but it will adapt quite quickly. That's what it's meant to do! :wink:
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Thank you Alantin :flowerforyou:
  • PinkCrush
    PinkCrush Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I 4th (5th, 6th?) the C25k training plan. What fun!

PLEASE make sure to get thee to a proper running store and get the right footwear for you, though! They'll determine if you're a pronator and need extra support in your arch. It will really, really help you transition into running a lot healthier, foot and joint-wise.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    yes, I agree with the others. I used to run back in the day and loved it. Never thought I could do it but somehow I did. I worked up to running by walking a bit then running a bit then walking again, you have to build your body up to it and build tolerance. I only ran 2 miles a day but I think I was at my lowest weight ever! I even got to the point where I had to run and craved it. I got through the runs by telling myself, Ok, I'm going to go to the next pole then that pole would appear, then again to the next focal point and so on. The only reason I ever quit was because I ended up with shin splints and that was very painful. Just build yourself up, I might have to try runnng again as well. Good luck!

Aslo, do buy good running shoes, it's a must to protect your feet, knees, hips and shins.
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    I did C25K and have been running a 5K everyday now for the past 2 weeks or so. It is still hard, but get easier everyday. If you don't have an HRM I highly recommend the investment.
  • emjprincess
    Options
    yes, I agree with the others. I used to run back in the day and loved it. Never thought I could do it but somehow I did. I worked up to running by walking a bit then running a bit then walking again, you have to build your body up to it and build tolerance. I only ran 2 miles a day but I think I was at my lowest weight ever! I even got to the point where I had to run and craved it. I got through the runs by telling myself, Ok, I'm going to go to the next pole then that pole would appear, then again to the next focal point and so on. The only reason I ever quit was because I ended up with shin splints and that was very painful. Just build yourself up, I might have to try runnng again as well. Good luck!

Aslo, do buy good running shoes, it's a must to protect your feet, knees, hips and shins.

I agree, great advice. I too was at my lowest weight by running and craved it! I also did the same...getting to lamp post by lamp post! I also used to talk my self out of stopping. Like if I wanted to stop, i'd ask myself 'why do I want to stop?' If my legs hurt, i'd ask myself, do they REALLY hurt? If I HAD to keep running (like from an assailant) could I?? I usually quite easily talked myself out of stopping!

Shun splints....OUCH!!! I had those too, they are EVIL! lol. Good trainers (and sports bra) are an absolute must, although unfortunately even this doesn't always prevent injury. :( xx
  • emjprincess
    Options
    ooops 'shin splints' I meant! haha whats a shun?? lol xx
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner until I read ChiRunning by Danny Deyer. I had no understanding for "form" and wanted to learn, not just run, if that makes sense. I totally understand form focus's now and was able to complete my first marathon 9 months after starting.
  • kbefit
    kbefit Posts: 116
    Options
    This was such a great question....thanks for posting it. I've wondered the same thing myself.