Been dieting for a month now...no results!

Options
I've just joined MFP in order to figure out what I've been doing wrong these past few weeks. My starting weight was 189 lbs at 5'6", 28 yrs old. I want to lose about 35 pounds and in the past 4 weeks of eating very lightly, running 1-2 times a week and walking 35 minutes almost every weekday (plus 12 hours of kayaking last weekend) I have lost a grand total of 5 pounds!!! I'm getting really discouraged and I really don't think it's muscle or anything like that since my jeans still do not fit right at all. You can check my food diary, it's pretty much what I've been eating every week day since I started cutting back.

I do have to admit to cheating somewhat on weekends, but I've been so good all week, can some wine and cheese really destroy 5 days' worth of 1200 calories a day?!?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Losing 5 lbs in one month is NOT "no results"

That's a great start...just keep at it.
    I do have to admit to cheating somewhat on weekends, but I've been so good all week, can some wine and cheese really destroy 5 days' worth of 1200 calories a day?!?

Possibly - cheese is quite calorie dense...it doesn't take all that much to be several hundred calories or more.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I only see the past 3 days logged in your diary, so it's really really difficult to give any useful advice. How were you tracking your intake for the ~3.5 weeks prior to that?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So your title is wrong. You've lost just over a pound a week which considering the amount you have to lose is good and sensible rate You need to learn patience what you're doing is working. You didn't pt 35 pounds on in 5 weeks so it wont come off that quick.

Good luck and congratulations on your loss
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No results? You lost 5 lbs in 4 weeks. That's over a pound a week and right what you should be losing. You need more realistic expectations if you think losing over a pound a week is a problem.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I've just joined MFP in order to figure out what I've been doing wrong these past few weeks. My starting weight was 189 lbs at 5'6", 28 yrs old. I want to lose about 35 pounds and in the past 4 weeks of eating very lightly, running 1-2 times a week and walking 35 minutes almost every weekday (plus 12 hours of kayaking last weekend) I have lost a grand total of 5 pounds!!! I'm getting really discouraged and I really don't think it's muscle or anything like that since my jeans still do not fit right at all. You can check my food diary, it's pretty much what I've been eating every week day since I started cutting back.

thats a result, and a pretty good one at that
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You've lost 1.25 pounds per week. That's great! What did you want?

And, yes, weekend cheating can absolutely destroy 5 days of effort. Although, in your case, it hasn't.

Congrats on your loss!
  • TheZaxian
    TheZaxian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Losing 5 pounds in 4 weeks doesn't really sound like 'no results' to me. 1lb/week is a good (well balanced) amount to lose.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in a month is a good start...any loss is a good loss.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Now that it's been firmly established that you ARE getting results, I just have to say that your food diary makes me sad. Who told you to eat 1200 calories per day?
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I'm thinking you should be eating 1600 calories a day, especially if you're working out. You will probably have the same amount of weight loss and enjoy your life a bit more. If you eat under 1200 calories a day, you can slow your metabolism.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    5lbs a month is what I average with a total weight loss goal of 20-25 lbs. you seem to be on the right track. If you dont have much to lose, it will come off slow. but hey, slow and steady wins the race, right? Just be patient friend. :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Hell yeah a weekend can undue a fantastic week! Lets say you are under 500 calories mon-fri that is a total of 2500. A big weekend can gobble up a number of those calories pretty easily and next thing you know you "only" lose 5 lbs in a month.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Wait? Wut? You're supposed to lose a pound a week, you're ahead of the game!
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hate to tell you this but you have to have patience, it's not going to happen as quick as you would like. :flowerforyou: (Speaking from experience) What is your water intake? How much "cheating" are you actually doing? Do you weigh your food or eyeball the portions? Why did you start at 1200 calories? Did you calculate your macro's or did you let MFP calculate them for you? Do you have a bad list/good list of foods mentality? You will have to learn what works for your through trial and error. Or if you finances allow hire a trainer and make sure it's a good trainer and not a Instagram trainer. I'm going to take a look at your diary but please not I am not a nutritionist. :wink:
  • seaberry09
    seaberry09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    5lbs = results
    I think that's great! How are you feeling? Healthier? More energy?
    It never seems to come off fast enough, I totally get it, but if you were to lose 5lbs a month x 7 months your 35lbs would be gone. It's not that long at all! It was just New Year's a short time ago and now the year's half over. Time really does fly.
    Keep at it!
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Same question I asked. I would be dying at 1200 calories
  • ryount
    ryount Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just some thoughts on your brief post.
    1. 1200 calories a day may be too few -- your body needs enough energy to burn, otherwise it thinks you are starving and stops fate loss.

2. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day? Body needs water to flush burned fat. A hydrated body does not hold water (bloat, and weight).

3. 5 pounds in 4 weeks is not bad. 1-2 lbs per week is about all one can *actually* do (as opposed to "10 lbs in 7 days" articles designed to sell magazines (or diet powders).

4. Whatever else you do, cut out refined sugar, fried foods, and foods made with flour. Lean protein, veggies, olive oil, limited fruit in natural state. Doing this will accelerate your fat loss.

5. 5 lbs of 35. That's one-seventh of the way. Don;t give up and -- given your success rate to date, you will reach your goal in 6 more months. Give up, and you'll gain the 5 plus 5 more within a few weeks.

Losing weight is hard, and it gets harder the older you get. Work hard now to get it off and keep it off, and you'll avoid chipping away at 270 lbs like I am doing now at 66. 5 months of effort, 14 lbs down.
  • andylee2000
    Options
    5lb a month is very good going!
    Relax, take each month at a time and you'll be amazed how you compare when you look at your photos in a few short months!
  • rudexvirus
    rudexvirus Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do agree with the other posters, 5 lbs in a month is nothing to scoff at. Remember to have patience, and have small goals to keep yourself going.

The question I have for you is in regards to your diary entries, A lot of them say Homemade for the food items. Are you making these at home? Are these recipes you are entering? If not, the calories could be off.