Dreaded batwings...y'all know what I am talkin' about!

Options
13»

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :huh: what the....

...sorry to tell you this but it's all about decreased body fat.
    just keep lifting heavy and log calories. You'll definitely see your body change after a few weeks/months

Spoken like a true twenty something year old.....Your body is going to react to your suggestions in a much different manner than a woman in their 40's. Sorry but it’s true. Our skin is much less elastic and things have a much harder time "popping back into place". I for one am very interested in the answer to this question too. I had a friend who lost 85 pounds and walked every day. Her whole body looked great until you got to her arms...and there they were....I am so scared this is going to happen to me too.:sad: :sad: :sad:

I don't think age matters in the sense of this topic.
    I have a few pals on here 40+ who've lifted and didn't have problems with skin elasticity.
    It could be genes.
    Also, it just takes time filling out.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

just keep lifting heavy and log calories. You'll definitely see your body change after a few weeks/months

Spoken like a true twenty something year old.....Your body is going to react to your suggestions in a much different manner than a woman in their 40's. Sorry but it’s true. Our skin is much less elastic and things have a much harder time "popping back into place". I for one am very interested in the answer to this question too. I had a friend who lost 85 pounds and walked every day. Her whole body looked great until you got to her arms...and there they were....I am so scared this is going to happen to me too.:sad: :sad: :sad:
    Are these people seriously this stupid?!

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH
  • marybell82
    marybell82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training and sometimes i feel like i get an efficient workout and other times i dont. I have a routine i prepared for myself that will target different muscle groups on different days. Although I also base the efficiency of my workouts on how sore i am the next couple days. hehe.

When i want to change things up, i go on instagram and view videos from Chalene Johnson or other fitness groups and i try them at the gym. What i started doing recently is asking the personal trainers to show me new workouts for certain muscle groups. Every trainer is different therefore you get a variety of different option. I think its a great way to change up the routine and shock the muscles with new activities... just a suggestion.

Good Luck!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Shake Weight
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Are you inferring that I am stupid???? What exactly gives you the right to call me any name at all????? Why don’t you crawl back into your troll hole where you belong!!!!! When you turn 40 something and have the same issues as an older woman does then you will have room to voice your so called expertise but until such time has occurred I think you really need to watch what you say.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Which poster here are you calling stupid?

I think they're both right. Just different situations and bodies.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

*SIGH*

"please don't tell me the truth, TIA"

BUT SERIOUSLY OP:

I have been doing a lot of bench pressing, negative pullups (with a band), lat pulldowns and have seen a great deal of change happening around the back of my arms. It's probably because I have reduced my bodyfat by 3% by eating at a deficit while lifting, but those are some of the exercises I've been doing in conjunction with a full body weight lifting routine. I also put cocoa butter on my whole self after showers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    One cannot train loose skin to tighten it up. Unfortunately for many females "batwings" are common if they've had fairly fat arms their whole life and now have lost a good amount of fat around them. It happens with males too, but males can actually build muscle much easier thereby reducing the amount of loose skin.
    Acceptance or surgery are the usual choices here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Let's re-phrase the question. I think that's where many of the "You can't spot reduce" arguments come from. Miscommunication is a *****.

I have loose skin from losing weight. (You're welcome grammar nerds)

How do I now fill that loose skin with something that is not jiggly fat (ie: muscle) in the arms? What are the most effective exercises for building muscle (read: toning) in the area where bat wings occur?
  • letsdothiskrista
    Options
    Thank you! I need this too :)
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Let's re-phrase the question. I think that's where many of the "You can't spot reduce" arguments come from. Miscommunication is a *****.

How do I now fill that loose skin with something that is not jiggly fat (ie: muscle) in the arms? What are the most effective exercises for building muscle (read: toning) in the area where bat wings occur?

Well in that case you are going to need to eat lots and lots of protein and lift all the heavy things. But even with that...loose skin is hard to "fill in" with muscle.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts should keep those things under control....

Bwhahahahaha!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I like you! :flowerforyou:
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    One cannot train loose skin to tighten it up. Unfortunately for many females "batwings" are common if they've had fairly fat arms their whole life and now have lost a good amount of fat around them. It happens with males too, but males can actually build muscle much easier thereby reducing the amount of loose skin.
    Acceptance or surgery are the usual choices here.

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks ninerbuff for your always astute replies.

That's the facts I'm afraid. I would add that age and genetics play into it also. You can lose fat, you can gain muscle to help fill it out, but loose skin will not always go away.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

You can increase the size of the muscle some with a calorie surplus and a good training program, but if a female has 13 inch arms, that considered pretty good size. I personally haven't seen a non bodybuilding/athletic female with over 13 inch arms that are somewhat lean.
    So if you have 10 inch arms and get them up to 13 inches, you'll reduce 3 inches of skin. If you go from 10 inch to 11 inch arms, then 1 inch loss is expected. And this is where I'm betting most females will usually end up.

IDEA Fitness member