Gastric sleeve

Options
Hi,I had a gastric sleeve in November. I am down 100 pounds as of yesterday. I am looking for other people who have the same eating challenges as I do that record what they eat.I am trying to follow my doctors orders the best I can as far as the numbers go,but I am needing help with different protein options.I do not want to rely on shakes and bars for my protein.
:happy:

Replies

• Cuteymcpritty
    Cuteymcpritty Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey there I'm Lisa. I actually just went to my first bariatric appt last week & the surgeon believes that the gastric sleeve would be my best bet becaise of how high my bmi is. I have reservations about that surgery. 1 is learning that I could possibly only end up losing 40% of my excess body weight. The 2nd problem I have with this surgery is that they're saying after I've lost all the weight I can after it the doctor would then do the gastric bypass. I'm really not wanting to have 2 surgeries. I was adamant about wanting the gastric bypass & the surgeon said I would have to lose 80-100 lbs before he would do the surgery. So that's what I'm working on...an 80 lb loss.
    You stated that you had your surgery in November and have lost around 100 lbs. Do you mind saying what weight you started at & if you're still expecting to lose more weight?
  • melinda6820
    Options
    Hi ladies, This is my 1st time ever doing anything like this. However, I am scheduled for surgery 6/9/14...I'm in my pre-op stage. I am so ready for this surgery my current weight is 275lbs at my heaviest I was like 312lbs. I have a great support person in my life who loves me no matter what my weight is. But I am looking for people who is going through the same experience that I am...such as the craving, motivation to work out, the struggle of being over weight, maintaining good eating habits, not going back to old bad eating habits, staying focused. I signed up for this surgery because I needed this tool to keep the weight off. I know it is just a tool and nothing more....the last piece of the puzzle for me to have a long heathy life. I look forward to hearing from you....I will keep you posted on my progress.:smile:
  • buckeyemama614
    Options
    Hey ladies, glad to see some of you in the same boat. I sleeved on 3/28/14. I lost 20 lbs with pre ops diets, then since surgery have lost 44 lbs. Not bad for 9 weeks in. Its been a struggle Im not going to lie. I often dont get my daily protein needs in cause its hard to eat. Suffering from reflux really badly also post op. However, I am starting to feel better and have more energy than I did 2 months ago, thats for sure. Seriously glad I made this change.

wyldenigma, congrats on hitting the 100 lb mark. I hope to be there by year end. But as we all know its a battle still, this is just a tool to get us there. I try to eat alot of seafood and have cut out carbs alot. Protein is a challenge still too.

Melinda, Good luck! Will say a prayer for you. Keep us posted next week.

Cuteymcpritty, I know the surgeon I seen advised me that alot of sleeve patients end up at the same goal 2 yrs post op as bypass patients. I think its a personal choice though. Sleeve seems a bit less troublesome post op since you dont have dumping and several other side effects.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone: There is a group here for VSGer's check them out. Good Luck with your journey.
  • dannisiggy
    dannisiggy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on your weight loss ! Keep it up !
  • melinda6820
    Options
    Congrats on the weight lose, I will definitely keep you posted on how surgery goes... thanks for responding wasn't sure if anyone really reads these statements.
  • bridge299
    bridge299 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Melinda I am in the same boat. I am wondering how your surgery went and also I have been looking for people who are great supporters. I have them in my life, but want to be in contact with people who have done this as well. Glad and keep me posted.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was having problems getting in enough protein also. I now add in 1.5 scoops of Unjury unflavored into my water and Crystal Light (30 grams of protein) and that has helped a lot. :)