Prevent an exercise from adding calories to my daily macros?

Options
I love the fact that MFP syncs with other applications and adds the workouts automatically to my account but I don't like how it changes my macros. Is there a way to show that I've exercised for XXX calories that day but not have it actually change my macros? It always messes me up.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ...duplicate post
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    MFP utilizes the NEAT method whereby you account for exercise activity after the fact...you log it and you're supposed to eat back those exercise calories (adjusted for estimation error). Your macros have to increase when calorie allotment increases...that's just the math.

So short answer, no...there isn't a way to do this. You would just have to log your exercise as 1 calorie or use the comments section. If you're using this tool properly it shouldn't mess you up. If you're using the TDEE method and using this calculator to track, most of us either log as 1 calorie or use the comments box.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 kms five days week and it increases my macros and I am still loosing. I'm sure you already know that its recommended to eat back your calories... Why are you worried about eating more to fill your macros???
  • karajf0413
    karajf0413 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem since I have a Fitbit. I'm currently eating at my TDEE so I don't need to eat back my calories, which is what I assume you are implying? The way I get around it is to delete any Fitbit calorie adjustments from the "exercise" tab in MFP. It makes the exercise calories and macros disappear until Fitbit re-syncs (it doesn't affect the calorie burn that my Fitbit registers). Then at the end of the day I let it sync again after I've logged everything I've eaten. If you have a Fitbit or something similar, that's my suggestion.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    well if you logged it manually i'd assume you'd log it as zero

why not just let it count the exercise cals, let it adjust the calorie/macro, but just eat at what your numbers would have been if you hadn't exercised

am i missing something?

also don't understand why you would bother to sync to the site if you don't want it adjusting your calories.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i guess thats my response, why bother syncing to a calorie counting site at all if you don't want it to adjust your calories?
  • tomee638
    tomee638 Posts: 64
    Options
    I want it to sync with the site to have one place to check all my nutrition and exercise.

I don't want it to add to my calories because I'm using the TDEE calculations to figure my calories already so I don't want to eat them back, I want them to count toward my weight loss.

I just want to know how many calories I'm burning on this website without having it adjust my macros because I frequently enter all my food in the morning or night before I'm actually going to eat it. The last few days I've been doing this, sometimes I get to the end of my day and I"M like, "Woe, what happened? I have XXX extra calories, I guess I overlooked that last night so I can add some food here and there and bla bla bla."

Looks like it's not possible so I'll probably have to re-sync the day after like a previous commentor suggested. Thanks everyone!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wait to log your exercise after you have met your daily eating goal, or at least logged what you are going to eat to meet it.

Your macros for what to eat were untouched.

Your have logged your exercise for review later.

Your wall posting still showed your workout and calories burned.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Eating back your calories sounds a lot like my dog throwing up on the braided rug in the kitchen and then licking it back up
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I put my exercise in but change the calorie burn to 2.
    No matter what I did or for how long.
    That way my time and the 'what' it was is there for me to look back at
    but it doesn't add to my daily calorie 'allotment'

Keeps me from thinking I have room to eat more.
    So many times I've seen people put in astronomical burns for
    half hour walking. Then eat back these 'free calories'

Not for everyone but it works for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I put my exercise in but change the calorie burn to 2.
    No matter what I did or for how long.
    That way my time and the 'what' it was is there for me to look back at
    but it doesn't add to my daily calorie 'allotment'

Keeps me from thinking I have room to eat more.
    So many times I've seen people put in astronomical burns for
    half hour walking. Then eat back these 'free calories'

Not for everyone but it works for me.

You might let them know - there are some bad entries in the exercise database for walking, when the descriptions are cut short sometimes mid-word. 1 is lower than normal, the others are highly inflated.
    Because the correct entries are the most accurate ones in the database - if you really do that speed level the entire time stated.
    But the screwed up ones, ugh.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    These are some of the reasons why I too log my exercise as a 1 calorie burn. It's best to do that when you're using the TDEE method.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    These are some of the reasons why I too log my exercise as a 1 calorie burn. It's best to do that when you're using the TDEE method.
    Great idea. Thanks for the tip