Rest days: how important are they, is guilt-free possible?

Options
Ok so I've decided to have a 'rest day' as home life was pretty hectic tonight and I've exercised 5 days straight but now I feel so guilty!! How important are rest days in regards to weight-loss and toning and what balance is best eg, 5:2 etc.
Thanks for your input :)

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    extremely important. That's when your body repairs your cells n stuff like that.... yes you absolutely should take rest days and not feel guilty.

also, are you in an "all or nothing" kind of mentality? This can be very counterproductive to long term success, because with the all or nothing mentality, you slip up one time, and feel like you've failed completely, which makes it much harder to stick to long term. You *don't* have to be perfect... you just have to be good enough. Rest is just as important as exercise itself (that is rest when you're actually doing exercise on other days... resting 24/7 isn't good that's being sedentary lol.... but yes you have workout days and rest days.) You don't have to torture yourself with your workouts either... you don't have to work out every day.... you just have to work out often enough to keep your heart and lungs healthy and your bones and muscle strong.

The best balance is whatever you're going to be able to stick to in the long term...
  • billymaxmum
    Options
    extremely important. That's when your body repairs your cells n stuff like that.... yes you absolutely should take rest days and not feel guilty.

also, are you in an "all or nothing" kind of mentality? This can be very counterproductive to long term success, because with the all or nothing mentality, you slip up one time, and feel like you've failed completely, which makes it much harder to stick to long term. You *don't* have to be perfect... you just have to be good enough. Rest is just as important as exercise itself (that is rest when you're actually doing exercise on other days... resting 24/7 isn't good that's being sedentary lol.... but yes you have workout days and rest days.) You don't have to torture yourself with your workouts either... you don't have to work out every day.... you just have to work out often enough to keep your heart and lungs healthy and your bones and muscle strong.

The best balance is whatever you're going to be able to stick to in the long term...

Thanks. I kind of already knew this but I do feel guilty for having a day off and am already psyching myself up to make up for it tomorrow! I shall sleep better tonight now. Cheers!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Super important.

Banish the guilt.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty for taking rest days as well, but I know they are necessary. I usually take the kids for a walk around the neighborhood, go shopping, or deep clean my house on my rest days.
  • billymaxmum
    Options
    Super important.

Banish the guilt.

Cool, thank you
  • billymaxmum
    Options
    I feel guilty for taking rest days as well, but I know they are necessary. I usually take the kids for a walk around the neighborhood, go shopping, or deep clean my house on my rest days.
    Having read your post I just wondered if I should be logging these types of activities as well anyway? I lead a pretty busy life too so this is great advice because I can focus on those things on my rest days. Cheers!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Progress isn't made while you work out. It's made while your body is repairing itself on your rest days.

Proper rest is just as if not more important than the workouts themselves.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The two most important days of the week in RE to my fitness are Wednesdays and Sundays....because they are my rest days...these are the days that my body gets to rest and recover and build and become stronger.

They are important and should be viewed as an essential part of your fitness regimen...they are part of your workout essentially.

Note that "rest day" doesn't necessarily mean sitting around doing nothing. I walk my dog 7 days per week for 2-3 miles regardless...I often do some restorative yoga on rest days. Sundays have been mandated by my wife to be rest days so that I can get the grass mowed and other yard work done as well as fixing random **** around the house. I take my kids to the zoo or pool, etc...I'm still generally pretty active. I'm just taking a rest from anything vigorous to let my body recover...recovery is extremely important to your fitness.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Note that "rest day" doesn't necessarily mean sitting around doing nothing. I walk my dog 7 days per week for 2-3 miles regardless...I often do some restorative yoga on rest days. Sundays have been mandated by my wife to be rest days so that I can get the grass mowed and other yard work done as well as fixing random **** around the house. I take my kids to the zoo or pool, etc...I'm still generally pretty active. I'm just taking a rest from anything vigorous to let my body recover...recovery is extremely important to your fitness.

^^^^ This.....think recovery day rather than rest day and it can be active recovery, just keep it low impact and low(er) intensity.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The two most important days of the week in RE to my fitness are Wednesdays and Sundays....because they are my rest days...these are the days that my body gets to rest and recover and build and become stronger.

They are important and should be viewed as an essential part of your fitness regimen...they are part of your workout essentially.

but it's fine if you do practically nothing also. sure if you have chores to do- do them- that's not anything else- you would be doing them regardless of workouts or none workouts so I don't consider that rest- or none rest really.

I'm extremely busy- I take upwards of 10 hours of dance class a wee- plus my 2 hr lifting sessions 3-4 a week. two of my "rest days" includes 3 hours of often intense dance... so come Thursday- and Sunday- I'm 100% okay sitting on the couch- RESTING.

my body needs it. could I go do something? sure- when I first started a 3 day split- I was going bonkers thinking it wasn't enough. Fast forward 6 weeks into the program and I'm so grateful for days off.

Don't feel bad for allowing your body time to repair itself.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Rest days are essential.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty too... Like right now. I have something to do after work tonight and I'm trying to figure out when I'm going to get in a workout along with cooking, cleaning and laundry. I've decided that tonight's going to be a rest night. I love my rest days so that when I get back to my workouts I can give 100%. You'll learn to love them :wink:
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    just yesterday I posted how I never take rest days

Well, today I drove to the office. I typically run or ride, or split it between a run and ride. BUT- I felt tired legs this morning. You can feel when the fatigue is deep. Taking time off of a discipline once in a while is a good idea. Listen to your body.

On the other hand, I will be playing a double header in softball tonight- so there's that.

My point- if it's a lifestyle, there's nothing that a single day should make you feel guilty.

BUT- since you made the thread, you prolly feel a big guilty, or you wouldn't need the approval.

Get up, and do 50 jumping jacks, and a plank or something.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Progress isn't made while you work out. It's made while your body is repairing itself on your rest days.

Proper rest is just as if not more important than the workouts themselves.

SIlly reply :huh:
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Okay, y'all are making me feel like a lazy bum. Am I the only one who feels NO guilt for rest days? In fact, I work out M-F and count down to Saturday morning.....yep, I count down. After Monday's workout I say to myself...."1 morning down, 4 to go".....so on and so forth. lol
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Well, today I drove to the office. I typically run or ride, or split it between a run and ride. BUT- I felt tired legs this morning. You can feel when the fatigue is deep. Taking time off of a discipline once in a while is a good idea. Listen to your body.

On the other hand, I will be playing a double header in softball tonight- so there's that.

My point- if it's a lifestyle, there's nothing that a single day should make you feel guilty.

BUT- since you made the thread, you prolly feel a big guilty, or you wouldn't need the approval.

Taking a rest day isn't taking time off from a discipline, I have to disagree. Resting is an integral part of the recovery from exercise that your body requires. If you don't let it recover, you're putting yourself at risk for injury.

Please pardon the directness of this statement, but there's nothing to feel guilty for - it's an important part of exercise, so find a way to get over it. :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Taking a rest day isn't taking time off from a discipline, I have to disagree. Resting is an integral part of the recovery from exercise that your body requires. If you don't let it recover, you're putting yourself at risk for injury.

Please pardon the directness of this statement, but there's nothing to feel guilty for - it's an important part of exercise, so find a way to get over it. :flowerforyou:

true that.
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I probably don't get enough rest. Thanks for the reminders why it is so important.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options

What he said!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    For me, it is not a problem with guilt. It is a problem with eating! I know that on rest days I can't eat as much, and I don't like that. So I have a hard time taking a rest day. Sometimes I count an active recovery day as a rest day--I go for a walk and try not to push myself for speed.