This headline is shocking! It may be all we need to read.

Options
I came across this article today with a radical concept for maintaining weight loss.

What do you all think about it?

Here is the url:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/04/us-weight-maintenance-review-idUSKBN0EF1FA20140604

Replies

• Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    OMG!! Quicklee tel meni peeplez!

edit: seriously how on earth has that made the news? It's up there with "it's morning and the sun came up".
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    katy-perry-omg.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's particularly radical...that said, it seems that a vast majority fail to realize that their health, nutrition, and fitness are lifetime endeavors. Most people seem to think that once they've lost the weight they've arrived at some arbitrary finish line when in reality, they've just arrived at the starting line of the actual race.

People too closely associate their exercise with weight loss rather than general fitness and weight control in general as a nice side effect...so they lose weight and then stop exercising. Further, people largely fail to adopt a dietary lifestyle that is rich in delicious food, but also nutrition...they never really learn to eat. They spend weeks and months sucking on celery sticks and hit their goal weight and go back to however they were eating before...then they're shocked that they put the weight back on.

Essentially, it's really easy to talk about lifestyle change...implementing such a change is an entirely different matter.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I worked for Reuters for 24 years - boy have standards fallen since I left......

Will file that article under "no s**t Sherlock".
  • BrokenButBeautiful
    Options
    :huh:
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    conspiracy-keanu.jpg
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    LOOK, MAN, YOU CAN'T JUST DROP THIS KIND OF KNOWLEDGE ON US AND THEN RUN AWAY.
    I came across this article today with a radical concept for maintaining weight loss.

What do you all think about it?

Here is the url:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/04/us-weight-maintenance-review-idUSKBN0EF1FA20140604
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    While it might be obvious to many here that in order to maintain weight that has been lost one must continue a healthy diet and regular exercise, a significant number of people still regain weight after weight loss. I've yo-yo two times myself. So the article is relevant for that reason. People need reminders.

It is also relevant because it reports on a meta-review, rather than a single study, comparing conclusions among studies by noting replicated data. Meta-reviews are useful tools to reinforce "known" theories and ideas in science, and science is all about falsifiable evidence and replication.

Also, as noted in the article, there are not many studies which follow weight loss maintenance beyond a couple years. So the report points out the holes in the research.

It's nice to be knowledgeable and know things other people don't know, but being sure you know something doesn't mean everybody gets it, or that there isn't more to know.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    What is this wizardry?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    mind-blown-gif-jenna.gif
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    It's nice to see that most people here do in fact have a functional sense of humor. Not all! But certainly most. :)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mc7kidp4GM1qeh80v.gif