Programme/Routines advice? For fat burn

Options
Basically, I'm after some advise for my gym work outs. I've always been a 20 minutes cardio, 20 minutes wondering around, bit of (lame) weight work, sit ups etc. but from what I've been reading, I need to do more weight/floor work in order to burn fat.
Anyone got any good workout programmes?

Monday I done the following
4 minutes cycling (on level 5)

45 seconds of lunges
45 seconds of squats
45 secs mountain climb
45 secs flutter kicks
45 secs bicycle crunches
All with 15 seconds in between. Then repeated twice more

Followed by 15 minutes walking uphill on the treadmill at 5.5kph.

Yesterday I done

4 minutes cycling on level 5

10 reps lateral raises (6kg free weight in each hand)
10 reps should press
10 reps bicep curls
45 secs flutter kicks
45 secs floor rowing with 6kg weight with legs raised (basically working my abs)
Then repeated once more

20 minutes walking uphill at 5.5mph.

Think I used too heavy a weight as I was planning to do this 3 times, but couldn't face it. But I read, that unless you push your muscles, make them work, you won't burn fat?

Any tips?? Or good workout websites?
I'm female, 5ft 3in, 182lbs, and my goal is to loose fat (and ultimately weight/dress sizes) and tone up.

Replies

• butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit will cause weight loss.

Increasing cardiovascular workouts will burn significant calories and create a bigger deficit which will improve the weight loss.

The weight loss will be FAT + Lean Body Mass.

Adding weights (particularly heavy weights) and increasing your protein macro intake will assist in the prevention of loss of lean body mass so that the weight you lose will be mostly fat.

Drink plenty of water.

If you're able, take the treadmill off the incline and increase the speed - you'll get that heart pumping faster, improve your cardiovascular health and drop lbs

Check out the 5x5 stronglifts also : http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to make your workout simpler.

You're simply not doing enough cardio. 4 mins on the exercise bike is pointless. Instead of doing all the other things you're doing try 30 mins on the exercise bike.
  • jlojgirl
    jlojgirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The 4 minutes was just to get my heart rate up, which then continued to pump hard whilst I done the floor/weight exercises.
    I then done the walking afterwards.

Thank you Buttersoft. I'll take a look at that link.
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My gym routine is:

1 hour cross trainer (max level)
    1 hour exercise bike
    1 mile walk on treadmill
    20 mins resistance training

Today I burnt 1311 cals:

https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/shared/exercise.ftl?shareTag=150255c957719680c2595a066c695c3e

People say what I do is excessive because I do it 5 days a week (every weekday). But I find I don't lose weight otherwise. My weight loss isn't excessive - just 1kg per week.

Think about buying a heart rate monitor. I gained a lot of insight into my workout and realised that I was previously undertraining.
  • jlojgirl
    jlojgirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bloody hell, I couldn't do that much exercise if I tried. I go in my lunch hour, so only have around 45 minutes.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Hey girl - I'm 5'3" as well

if i were you i would try to wear a HRM
    that way you can see where your heart rate is when you do those "tabata-esque" exercises

"CARDIO" IS NOT NECESSARY FOR FAT LOSS

Eat in a deficit and I would second the strong lifts. Would make a big difference for you for sure.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Basically, I'm after some advise for my gym work outs. I've always been a 20 minutes cardio, 20 minutes wondering around, bit of (lame) weight work, sit ups etc. but from what I've been reading, I need to do more weight/floor work in order to burn fat.
    Anyone got any good workout programmes?

Monday I done the following
    4 minutes cycling (on level 5)

45 seconds of lunges
    45 seconds of squats
    45 secs mountain climb
    45 secs flutter kicks
    45 secs bicycle crunches
    All with 15 seconds in between. Then repeated twice more

Followed by 15 minutes walking uphill on the treadmill at 5.5kph.

Yesterday I done

4 minutes cycling on level 5

10 reps lateral raises (6kg free weight in each hand)
    10 reps should press
    10 reps bicep curls
    45 secs flutter kicks
    45 secs floor rowing with 6kg weight with legs raised (basically working my abs)
    Then repeated once more

20 minutes walking uphill at 5.5mph.

Think I used too heavy a weight as I was planning to do this 3 times, but couldn't face it. But I read, that unless you push your muscles, make them work, you won't burn fat?

Any tips?? Or good workout websites?
    I'm female, 5ft 3in, 182lbs, and my goal is to loose fat (and ultimately weight/dress sizes) and tone up.

Honestly you seem all over the map flitting from one exercise to another not dedicating enough time on any one in particular. I would suggest reading the New rules of lifting for women or following Strong lifts 5 x 5. (stronglifts.com) You need to streamline and simplify your workout.

Also - for cardio you should be working for 30 to 40 minutes.
    For strength training stick with compound moves - squats, lunges, planks, pushups, deadlifts, bench presses.....leave the flutter kicks for the swimmers.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Get on a decent beginners strength routine and get your diet in check.

Results will follow. It's guaranteed.