anyone 5'7" & weigh 140 lbs trying to lose weight?

Options
Like the subject says I am 5'7" and I weigh 141lbs. I am 33 years old and I am trying to get back to my happy weight of 125 ( which i weighed after i gave birth to each of my girls) I am following the MFP recommendation of 1200 calories ( i measure my food) and often go up to 1400 because I work out religiously, burning between 500-800 calories a day though cardio and strength training. However, I seem to be staying right around 140 and it is so frustrating....if you look at my diary you will see i eat very healthy and do not drink alcohol....Anyone in my situation and have any suggestions or success stories?

Replies

• ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What's your BF%? I only ask because you ARE 5'7". 140 lbs isn't bad if you've increased your lean muscle amount with working out. In my opinion (and I could very well be wrong), I would think a better judge would be clothes size versus weight (or both).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Your diary closed. Sounds like you are eating at maintenance if you aren't losing.

2 things if you don't weigh your foood you are eating more than you think and the burns are probably too high so again eating more than you think.

I am 5 ft 7 as well, I weigh 163 and eat 1600 calories a day everyday and lose about 1/2lb a week....I weigh my food for accuracy and lift weights 3x a week and HIIT 2x a week. I wear a size 8.
  • allie_leann
    Options
    I have no idea what my body fat % is...is there a quick way to find out?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Like the subject says I am 5'7" and I weigh 141lbs. I am 33 years old and I am trying to get back to my happy weight of 125 ( which i weighed after i gave birth to each of my girls) I am following the MFP recommendation of 1200 calories and often go up to 1400 because I work out religiously, burning between 550-850 calories a day though cardio and aerobic/weights/squats/etc. However, I seem to be staying right around 140 and it is so frustrating....if you look at my diary you will see i eat very clean and healthy and do not drink alcohol....Anyone in my situation and have any suggestions or success stories?

I can help. I'm 5'7" and have gradually gone from over 170 while pregnant, to 135-140 over 30% body fat to 128/20% body fat. My measurements have gone back in time about 25 years.

I count calories, eat 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. I cut at about -10%-15% tdee. I also bulk and weight train.
    I worked out my tdee minus exercise calories. I maintain by working out my exercise cals and eating them back.

I am very happy to answer any questions, but first I encourage you to use the search button and read posts from people who have succeeded and maintained for a while and are respected. There's a LOT of advice out there. Any questions you have left, please feel free to pm me. I'm not an expert but we have similar heights and we are moms!

Good luck. Ps there are no clean or dirty foods, just calories and I also think your numbers are inaccurate and you could improve them.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I have no idea what my body fat % is...is there a quick way to find out?

There are calculators online but they are famously inaccurate...but they are there..

accuracy requires float test or dexa scan.
  • allie_leann
    Options
    Ooops, I fixed my diary setting so the public can view....Do you mind taking a look and letting me know what you think? I don't eat butter and if i do have olive oil i make sure to log it, and i measure my food and portions.When you see "Smart for Life Cookie" those are not cookies lol but rather small nutrition packed snacks that have little to no sugar ( i have a processed sugar allergy so you will see that i eat very little to no sugar at all) Thanks again :)
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Hi

I've had a look,
    1. tell me your plan in regards to the calorie deficit you're looking for.

2. How long have you been exercising this hard?

Unfortunately, the exercise counts are too high on this site...you may have to get a HEart rate monitor or find a better way to log them. People quite often knock a third off them. I tend to do that, plus gym equipment calorie counters are too high also. The lighter and fitter you are, the less you burn.

Cardio is a hard way to create a deficit.
    It doesn't matter what kind of sugars or fats you are eating, protein needs to be about 110-120g per day.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I had a look as well...you need to buy a digital food scale as you will be surprised at what you find...this link did it for me...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

As well the exercse calories on here are high....a HRM with a chest strap is only good for steady state cardio.

All others well...I would eat 50-75% back that depending on your hunger.

The only other piece of advice is to start some sort of resistence training if you can/want to...it helps maintain what muscle you do have and along with that get enough protien in...I am about 26% BF and my goals are 120g of protien Minimum and I lift 3x a week...MFP goals are set to the minimum daily requirement for an average person...so those are quite low.

Lifting is great for getting smaller (not weight loss) as I said I am 163lbs and wear a size 8....I have a friend who is 125 and she is a size 6...so..take it from that. As well...I lost 3 lbs in 2months but an entire size of clothing.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I had a look as well...you need to buy a digital food scale as you will be surprised at what you find...this link did it for me...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

As well the exercse calories on here are high....a HRM with a chest strap is only good for steady state cardio.

All others well...I would eat 50-75% back that depending on your hunger.

The only other piece of advice is to start some sort of resistence training if you can/want to...it helps maintain what muscle you do have and along with that get enough protien in...I am about 26% BF and my goals are 120g of protien Minimum and I lift 3x a week...MFP goals are set to the minimum daily requirement for an average person...so those are quite low.

Lifting is great for getting smaller (not weight loss) as I said I am 163lbs and wear a size 8....I have a friend who is 125 and she is a size 6...so..take it from that. As well...I lost 3 lbs in 2months but an entire size of clothing.

All this! Just better articulated than my answer!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and weighed about 142 a few weeks ago. Since then, I'm down to about 138. I'm eating 1500 calories M-Th and 1800 F-Su with about 125 or more grams of protein. I weight train 4 times a week with one day of lightish cardio (I hate cardio). My goal is to lose fat and eventually see some visible muscle. I know this works, as I've done it before and got down to about 132. Any lower is just too skinny on my frame.

Patience! These things take time, especially when you only have a few pounds to lose.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and weighed about 142 a few weeks ago. Since then, I'm down to about 138. I'm eating 1500 calories M-Th and 1800 F-Su with about 125 or more grams of protein. I weight train 4 times a week with one day of lightish cardio (I hate cardio). My goal is to lose fat and eventually see some visible muscle. I know this works, as I've done it before and got down to about 132. Any lower is just too skinny on my frame.

Patience! These things take time, especially when you only have a few pounds to lose.

Simple and effective. Don't forget to reassess every five pounds you lose as your calorific needs reduce. I like the half week split!
  • TheLAonline
    TheLAonline Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome.. I am Looking to get down to about 140!..
  • LaurenBrooke1843
    LaurenBrooke1843 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 132 and trying to lose. I was 164 a couple months ago so it's been going really well actually! You can definitely do it! :)