Training Dog To Run?

Options
Hey All!

So a big part of what has been working for me is walking my dog. I went from short walks with him to some pretty long walks (about 45 minutes in the morning and around 1.5 hours after work). It has been really great, but now I am thinking I want to up my walks to runs to get a better bang for my time, but feel bad leaving Hodor (my dog) behind.

Any suggestions on how to train him to run with me? I was thinking of doing Couch 2 5K, do you think that would be a good training method?

Background info on my pup - he's around 1 year old, I've only had him since late February though, and he is around 30lbs. He's a shepard mix, so can move pretty well.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people using C25K to condition their dogs to start running longer distances. I got a sheltie two years ago and thought I would have a running partner... I grew up with folks who had one and it ran and ran and ran with them... they're herding dogs right? Well, mine refuses, so I don't know from personal experience how well the C25K will work, just something people I know have used.

Our, Ok... MY plan was to ease him into it using C25K, but it never came to fruition--- I'd have better luck training one of my cats as a running partner.

I might also say to check with the vet to be sure his joints and all that are mature enough to start doing heavier work loads than just walking... sounds like he probably has some miles on his paws already. :smile:
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I don't have dogs and I only run when chased, so I'm of little help. I just wanted to chime in and say that I love your dog's name :wink: .
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    C25K might be a good way to go! I started running with my dog when she was around a year, maybe a little younger. She is super active (a German Shepherd mix), so it was more about letter her know we will run at MY pace-not hers. A "Hey" or even a snap of my fingers usually does it, just something to get her attention. If you are doing C25K, you might want to pick a cue and stick with it so your dog has an auditory signal to indicate when you will be running and when you will be walking-there is a LOT of pace change in early days of C25K.

Otherwise I might recommend a good running leash. I have one by Kurgo, its reflective and has a carabiner on one end so you can adjust the size of the handle-ie a regular handle for just your hand or to clip around your waist, so you can run hands-free. I LOVE hands-free running leashes. Google/Amazon "running leashes" and you'll see a ton of options if you're interested. Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Build it up gradually, and use a chest harness, check paws and pads after each run. Have fun!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've run with 2 different golden retrievers. Both of them got used to running longer distances as I did. Sometimes I had to pull them a little or slow down a bit but they both conditioned well and got in better shape as I did.
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Dear lord get a running leash, my lab and I run together frequently and he LOVES it! But I have cursed the poor guy numerous times over the leash (I have tripped and fell with a regular leash, not pretty). It honestly won't take as long as a couch to 5k to train him. If you run 3 times a week I would walk/run him for a couple of couple of weeks and see how he's doing. You'd be surprised how quickly they adapt. Watch the water intake. Dogs have stomachs that can flip over when they have food or water in them and then immediately do heavy exercise. My dog Albert won't drink on our runs, but he sure slurps it down when we get back. Also, watch the pavement and his feet. I put paw pad wax on his paws in the summer (you can get it from a pet store, it's what mushers use for sled dogs). It helps protect their paws from the heat and roughness of the pavement. Good luck, I'm sure he'll be great!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think that he'll probably work up to the running faster than you will (assuming you haven't done a lot of running before). He's a young dog, and shepherds tend to be runners anyway. Go with C25K or any program you're comfortable with.

I have a herding dog, about 50 pounds and 7 years old. For most of my running she is still at a trot. She hardly ever breaks in to an all-out run, even when I sprint, when she's on the leash (she does it in the yard, so I see the definite difference).

Just make sure that you plan on water for your dog (a collapsable bowl and a water bottle work well), and that he is well trained to not bolt at things when on the leash. In my experience, my dog is more likely to lunge/bolt if we're running than if we're walking.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Something like C25k is a good idea. Dogs, like humans, need to work up to distance. Running with us is not the same as running on their own. Like someone else mentioned, keep an eye on his paw pads, especially if the pavement is warm. Avoid going at the hottest times of the day.

Two of my dogs are trained in a heel, so I use that command for them. My lab isn't. Use a command to let them know "we are running", I use "let's go". It doesn't matter what, just keep it consistent. Your first couple of runs will take some time to get used to how you run. I prefer the heel position but some people like their dog to be out in front, just be consistent. If the dog stops to sniff, I give a "no" and keep going. I don't yank the dog, but pull them along to keep them moving. You can slow down but don't stop. If you are stopping, you are reinforcing the behaviour. I want the dog to know that once we are running, we are not stopping or sniffing. I do give them breaks to pee along the way. We use the "go free" command with all our dogs so I use this while running too. I can kinda tell when my dogs need to go now so I'll stop and give them the "go free".

I've done up to 10k with my older German shepherd and haven't brought water.

It is really nice if you can get your dog in the habit of pooping before you run. It makes things easier. My Shepherd is great for that, my lab will poop everytime. I always carry baggies. Sometimes I'll stash it along the way and pick it up on the way back so I don't have to carry it all the way.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There is actually a program called Pooch to 5 K: http://www.poochto5k.com/

It's not really up to date but it's a place to start.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Most dogs aren't too bad at the 'running' part - I found mine ran pretty well with me using the same things I'd do training him walk to heel - not much was needed in reality.

Longest we've done (by a long way) is 32 miles off road - we were both suffering a bit after that, but he still enjoyed it - normally 3-8 miles or so.
  • Shane10101
    Options
    Kristen is right. Be careful not to let your dog run right after drinking -or- eating. German Shepherds are especially susceptible to "bloat" (gastric volvulus). The symptoms aren't always easy to spot, and it can turn fatal very quickly. Take a look:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=672
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm wicked jealous of all you folks who have dogs who are so agreeable to running with you! I wanted a partner so badly in him!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I started with couch to 5k, my little puggle keeps up great!

But I am SLOW

good for u! I lost my first 70 simply walking my pooch! It is still my all time fav go to form of exercise!

My dog never says no to a walk or jog or hike :) Once you start jogging it is a dogs natural inclination to run with you!

Have fun you both will love it!

Tell that to my lab. :laugh:

After two miles he pretends like I am dragging him on the leash. But when he gets home he will run laps around the yard. He loves to walk but doesn't enjoy running like my Shepherd does.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Depends on the dog. I've got four (!) dogs, all of whom are mixes except one (though all are rescues except for one stray that we ended up adopting).

I've gone out successfully with one of our spaniel mixes, but we didn't run into any other dogs (I don't think he'd handle that well), but I had to slow my pace a bit for him. However he ran a full 30 minutes with me including a brisk warm-up and cool-down walk. I used a regular leash, but I kept it short so that he'd be at my side. I managed not to trip over him but would have preferred to have a running leash.

Our cavalier is not the running type, and our Westie mix's prey drive and desire to say hi to all new people is too high. (If he sees a cat or a squirrel, there's no distracting him until he feels like giving up). Our other spaniel mix is a little bigger and young (1.5 years), but he's still a little hyper at times. I'm thinking about training him to run with me. It's good not just to give them exercise, but it's also an added level of security while you're out running.

If your dog is a shepherd mix, he might try to herd you, but they're also so smart that I can't imagine he couldn't be trained to run with you. My neighbor runs with his gorgeous (and perfectly trained) GSD all the time. They don't use a leash because she's so well-trained. (He's an ex-Marine.)

Edited for typo
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I started with couch to 5k, my little puggle keeps up great!

But I am SLOW

good for u! I lost my first 70 simply walking my pooch! It is still my all time fav go to form of exercise!

My dog never says no to a walk or jog or hike :) Once you start jogging it is a dogs natural inclination to run with you!

Have fun you both will love it!

Tell that to my lab. :laugh:

After two miles he pretends like I am dragging him on the leash. But when he gets home he will run laps around the yard. He loves to walk but doesn't enjoy running like my Shepherd does.

Your lab and my cavalier would get along great. He tears around the yard but will refuse to walk after a while if we go on a walk. I have to carry him home.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    My dog has been with me every step of my journey when I first started off I was only walking about a mile (slowly) but over the past few months I have built this up to running for quite long periods, during this time I have seen my dog getting every bit as fit as I have and she absolutely loves getting out with me, when she sees me putting my HRM on she goes absolutely berserk. She's a 3 year old miniature schnauzer in case anyone wants to know.
  • GunterRose
    GunterRose Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback!!

We did day 1 of Couch 2 5K today. We both kept up pretty well, probably could skip ahead in the program but I don't want to rush him. He's high energy and I'm really happy with how he kept up with me, and he didn't try to dart off at all! I am going to Amazon now to check out running leashes. We have a retractable that we use now, but it would definitely be nice to not have to hold it.

Thanks for pointing out the water/stomach flipping. Our route has a water fountain with a dog bowl mid way through, and I let him drink from it today until he had his fill. Next time I will make sure to limit it to just a few sips just in case. He doesn't eat until after we get back in (he gets fed twice a day, once when I leave for work and once after our long walk/now run, both times from an activity ball).

Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend, I will be posting status updates as we continue on our journey!
  • CaptJackDaniels
    CaptJackDaniels Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My Lab/Great Dane mix loves to run with me, although only for short distances. He's a big boy (pushing 145 lbs or so) so I try not to take him on asphalt all that often. He's more of my off-road type.

My Pitt Bull does wonderfully whenever I take her. She doesn't care where we go, only that we do.

Recently we inherited a stray German Shepard (solid black) and he's super young (about 8 months old or so) and he's so well-behaved on the leash and loves to run as well.

I have a hard time taking just one with me, though, as they all want to go all the time. :smile: I have to sneak the big one out, jog with him and then come back for the other two. Running with two dogs is no easy feat.

I agree with the above advice that as you progress they will too. Especially if they are active and younger. This should also help with tons of other issues (separation anxiety, chewing, digging, etc) as they'll be too tired to get into much. That's my favorite part.

Definitely check their pads for blisters or cracking after a run, especially if it's warm out. That asphalt/pavement gets hot quickly.

Good luck to you. I love running with my babies. It's a special bonding time as well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback!!

We did day 1 of Couch 2 5K today. We both kept up pretty well, probably could skip ahead in the program but I don't want to rush him. He's high energy and I'm really happy with how he kept up with me, and he didn't try to dart off at all! I am going to Amazon now to check out running leashes. We have a retractable that we use now, but it would definitely be nice to not have to hold it.

Thanks for pointing out the water/stomach flipping. Our route has a water fountain with a dog bowl mid way through, and I let him drink from it today until he had his fill. Next time I will make sure to limit it to just a few sips just in case. He doesn't eat until after we get back in (he gets fed twice a day, once when I leave for work and once after our long walk/now run, both times from an activity ball).

Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend, I will be posting status updates as we continue on our journey!

yeah, I definitely wouldn't be using a flexi. I use a regular leash and hold it with both hands so I can direct the dog where to go.