Calories In vs. Out + Exercise Debate!! HELP!!!

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Another note on the fuel mix. The Calories in/Calories out crowd will defend themselves to the death. Again, log your food and check out the Reports once in awhile. You might just discover that your fuel mix for weight loss may consist of more veggies vs. starchy carbohydrates. That's the beauty of logging what you eat. When you've had a good week, you can repeat that week because its recorded! To some extent you can eat what you want and lose as long as there's a calorie deficit. The trick is moderation! Personally, I don't want to be the one that tries to live off of brownies and donuts to see if I can lose weight that way!

You could live off brownies and lose weight.

You however may not be "healthy" in the end from doing this.

But no one that does IIFYM ever advocates eating only food like that for every meal.
    It should only make up about 20% of your calories
    The other 80% should be whole foods
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    www.bicycling.com says 75 minutes at 16 - 20 mph at my weight is 1735 calories.

That is insane. There are limits to how much a body can burn calorically. At your maximum heartrate you might push 700 calories an hour....but 1500 calories an hour? No way in hell.

I do 70 minutes of plyometric cardio that has my heart pounding out of my chest for about 50 minutes straight and I estimate that burn at about 550 calories.
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates it for me. I use a stop watch on my bike odometer to count the time cycling. I also use a cycling website that has a calculator based on your speed, time, and weight. Both are within 25 calories of each other (the two sites, that is). www.bicycling.com says 75 minutes at 16 - 20 mph at my weight is 1735 calories. I also walk and do other exercises some days. I am a truck driver and when I am out for three hours lugging around 100 pound tarps to tap a load, I add that in too. There are days that I actually have very high exercise numbers (according to MFP). So, I am supposed to eat all those calories, the 1900 and the (whatever I burn). How could I possibly do that? I could barely get in 1500 calories today.

See my previous reply about the burn I get based on heart rate (360-540/hr). I bought a HRM mostly for cycling, because all the speed based calculators were so far off. They think my downhill commute to work burns all sorts of calories because I cruise along at 20 mph. They also think the hard, sweaty, uphill commute home burns far fewer calories because I'm going slow.
  • missdalena
    Options
    As far the water goes, like I said in the post I drink nearly a gallon everyday.

As far the muscle goes, my bootcamp uses this method: http://www.military.com/military-fitness/weight-training/5-easy-steps-to-see-if-your-gains-are-muscle-or-fat
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    She's right. I only eat a portion of my excercise calories back, just because mfp is too generous with amounts burnt. I don't ALWAYS eat them back but usually over the week it balances out. But if after excercise, your net is 600 cals, you're way under eating. Plus, 1200 is too low anyway unless you're super morbidly obese and your doctor has set you at that
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates it for me. I use a stop watch on my bike odometer to count the time cycling. I also use a cycling website that has a calculator based on your speed, time, and weight. Both are within 25 calories of each other (the two sites, that is). www.bicycling.com says 75 minutes at 16 - 20 mph at my weight is 1735 calories. I also walk and do other exercises some days. I am a truck driver and when I am out for three hours lugging around 100 pound tarps to tap a load, I add that in too. There are days that I actually have very high exercise numbers (according to MFP). So, I am supposed to eat all those calories, the 1900 and the (whatever I burn). How could I possibly do that? I could barely get in 1500 calories today.
    Generally 60 - 75 minutes cycling at 16-18 mph, current weight is 254. Please tell me what that burns according to your figures. Please. Thanks.

So, please let me ask all of you. My calories that I can eat each day, is 1900. I am very active all day and I cycle, and I can exercise and burn up to 2500 calories a day in addition. Are you saying that I should be eating the 1900 calories and whatever I exercise, in order to retain my muscle and burn fat? That would be over 4000 calories some days. Please explain

Assuming your numbers are correct, yes. But I am guessing that your exercise calories may be inflated

I can't tell you what your burns are. But 2500 calories in 75 minutes is about 33 calories a minute. That is pretty extreme.
    What are you using to estimate these?

I got 1440 calories for 14-16mph. And the 1700 number for 16-20mph on the same site. Based on the 16-18, I wouldn't say to go for the top number of 1700.
    Even then, it is still an estimate and that is still quite a high calorie burn.
    I believe strongly in accounting for your activity level, but that has to be balanced with the fact that we don't know exact calorie burns and when we are dealing with huge numbers, you need to be more careful.

As to how can you eat more, there are plenty of people who eat 2500-3000 calories. I don't know what you eat or how you eat, but it can be done easily.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Your caloric burn per hour can be calculated pretty accurately by VO2 max which is basically the volume of oxygen you exchange during the exercise.

Here is an example VO2 exercise measure with a 27 year old 6'1'' tall 257 pound man, so a big big guy.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2yJSORL-oeYJ:korr.com/wp-content/uploads/9FG0131_Rev_A_CardioCoach_Printout_Sample.pdf+&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=usf

So there we are talking 900 calories burned at the peak of aerobic range. He can get up to 1300 burned an hour but only at his maximum heart rate and there is NO WAY anyone can sustain that for an hour, that is like the fastest sprint you can muster with jumping up and down.

The idea of burning 2500 calories in 75 minutes is just not going to happen. Maybe if you are 700 pounds and yet able to sustain a max heartrate for the entire duration.

Don't put your faith into online calculators.
  • missdalena
    Options
    As far the water goes, like I said in the post I drink nearly a gallon everyday.

As far the muscle goes, my bootcamp uses this method: http://www.military.com/military-fitness/weight-training/5-easy-steps-to-see-if-your-gains-are-muscle-or-fat
  • Bsaintelus
    Bsaintelus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What you're advocating is a VLCD, you're not going to find much support for that around here. In fact, it's against the community guidelines.

To clarify, I'm not advocating a very low calorie diet. I'm just saying that my calorie intake goal has worked. I'm definitely going to up my calorie intake goal based on what everyone has just told me. That is why I was posting. For advice. Thanks everyone so far and friend request/support is appreciated. Thanks everyone so far!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What you're advocating is a VLCD, you're not going to find much support for that around here. In fact, it's against the community guidelines.

To clarify, I'm not advocating a very low calorie diet. I'm just saying that my calorie intake goal has worked. I'm definitely going to up my calorie intake goal based on what everyone has just told me. That is why I was posting. For advice. Thanks everyone so far and friend request/support is appreciated. Thanks everyone so far!!!

But you never did answer - were you logging? How do you measure your food?
  • musikalmami237
    musikalmami237 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone , this is the girlfriend in the debate, lol :)

Just to clarify, I am not for eating back your exercise calories just for the sake of eating. I'm talking about if you're hungry, why not eat some of the calories back. My point here isn't, well you exercised off 600 calories, so now eat it all back just to stuff your face. That would be silly of course.

My point is, however, that if you are at such a low calorie goal already, and you exercise and burn that 1200 right back off, it seems to me that you should eat some of those calories back in order to maintain wellness and energy throughout your day. Not to say go eat fries and a shake, but healthy whole foods.

I believe that when you are talking about a calorie deficit which is necessary for weight loss, you have to consider your entire day. And I believe that MFP already allows for this deficit when they set your calorie goal based on your activity level, current weight, age, etc. So yes, while I feel that a deficit is necessary, I feel that the deficit shouldn't come from his 1200 goal, but from his overall day. That is where we disagree. Because he also projects this onto me. I have a 1200 calorie goal as well, and if I consume the 1200 and exercise to bring it down a great deal, he cheers me on if I have a large deficit from my goal. While I love to make him proud, I don't feel it is healthy to have a large deficit from your goal.

I don't mind the results not happening as quickly for me because I know this is a lifestyle change. However, I tell him I feel he is being a bit intense with this as he does weigh himself at least twice a day and feels he has hit a plateau because the scale hasn't moved in three days. Thank you guys so much for your input!

I also am welcoming friend requests! I promise we don't always go on these rants and debates. Lol :)
  • Bsaintelus
    Bsaintelus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    She's right. I only eat a portion of my excercise calories back, just because mfp is too generous with amounts burnt. I don't ALWAYS eat them back but usually over the week it balances out. But if after excercise, your net is 600 cals, you're way under eating. Plus, 1200 is too low anyway unless you're super morbidly obese and your doctor has set you at that
    Thanks for the advice! your weight loss pic is awesome
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    She is correct you are wrong...Esp if you are using MFP (NEAT) vs TDEE...

and dude you are eating less than me and I workout as much as you...and I am a 41 year old woman.

I do hope you take these people seriously when they say eat more food.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

There you go man. You may lose weight at a slower rate but you will feel better, you will be able to sustain your weight loss and best of all you can lose only fat that way. Don't just bump it up a few hundred calories either, chances are you should be eating close to 2000 cals to lose weight.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be in the 220's. I did so in high school. I've tried so many times to do the diet of 1,500 to 1,800 per day and i didn't ever get nearly the results that I'm finally getting now. I'm now seeing the results as well as feeling them. I run for longer periods (2 miles straight on average). My arms are more ripped, my stomach is flat and I'm seeing my abdominal muscles clearly. Am i really dieting wrong even with these seemingly great results?
    Did you ever consider that you may have grown since high school? You would be an unusual man if you haven't. And, what's the rush? I suggest you see a nutritionist before you cause harm to your body and possibly develop an eating disorder.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    My point here isn't, well you exercised off 600 calories, so now eat it all back just to stuff your face. That would be silly of course.

That isn't "silly" that is EXACTLY what you should do. The point of consistent healthy weightloss is to maintain a constant deficit long-term and you cannot do that if you go exercise and not eat those calories back. The point of exercising isn't to accelerate weightloss because all that amounts to is taking your reasonable calorie deficit goal and making it unreasonably large. No, the point of exercise is to improve your fitness and your strength and you should fuel that if you want the best results you can get.

My goal is 1800 calories net per day. That goal is to maintain a steady 600 calorie daily deficit for weightloss. If I go do P90X plyo and burn 500 calories then damn straight I am going to go "stuff my face" with 500 calories extra to make up for it and maintain my 600 caloire daily deficit rather than an overblown 1100 calorie deficit that risks muscle loss.

I eat those calories back whether I am hungry or not because my goal with exercise is to improve my fitness. After 60 minutes of intense cardio I do not tend to be hungry either so most times I just "eat to eat" as you put it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Just to clarify, I am not for eating back your exercise calories just for the sake of eating. I'm talking about if you're hungry, why not eat some of the calories back. My point here isn't, well you exercised off 600 calories, so now eat it all back just to stuff your face. That would be silly of course.

My point is, however, that if you are at such a low calorie goal already, and you exercise and burn that 1200 right back off, it seems to me that you should eat some of those calories back in order to maintain wellness and energy throughout your day. Not to say go eat fries and a shake, but healthy whole foods.

I believe that when you are talking about a calorie deficit which is necessary for weight loss, you have to consider your entire day. And I believe that MFP already allows for this deficit when they set your calorie goal based on your activity level, current weight, age, etc. So yes, while I feel that a deficit is necessary, I feel that the deficit shouldn't come from his 1200 goal, but from his overall day. That is where we disagree. Because he also projects this onto me. I have a 1200 calorie goal as well, and if I consume the 1200 and exercise to bring it down a great deal, he cheers me on if I have a large deficit from my goal. While I love to make him proud, I don't feel it is healthy to have a large deficit from your goal.

I don't mind the results not happening as quickly for me because I know this is a lifestyle change. However, I tell him I feel he is being a bit intense with this as he does weigh himself at least twice a day and feels he has hit a plateau because the scale hasn't moved in three days. Thank you guys so much for your input!

I also am welcoming friend requests! I promise we don't always go on these rants and debates. Lol :)

No worries you are correct...was there any doubt?:bigsmile:

and a plateau is not 3 days...try 4-6 weeks...I personally have gone 3 weeks without losing..then whooshed 3lbs..

Nice to see a couple here btw...
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

So this is a girl and a guy???

Well I do believe that men are more apt to lose weight quicker than women.....but I could be wrong.

But weight loss can't be compared against another person, everyone is different.
    The only thing that is the same (usually) is that a caloric deficit is needed to lose weight.

If 1200 calories is your goal (too low I think), and you exercise....then yes, some of those calories, if not all should be eaten back.
    Staying at 1200 or going below is not a good idea, unless you are really overweight....then you can get away with it.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Following:)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Well I do believe that men are more apt to lose weight quicker than women.....but I could be wrong.

I tend to believe men and women lose weight the same if you look at weight loss as a percentage of total weight. It is just that men on average tend to weight more than women so they tend to lose pounds faster. Just convert pounds to "percent of total mass" though and weight loss tends to be the same between men and women.