What is the max amount of water?

Options
Is it okay if I'm drinking more than the 64 oz? Since restarting MFP I've been drinking 64 oz while I'm at work and then I go home and have atleast another 16oz. This is straight water too not any other liquids. Is this okay? I'm not hurting my body am I? Since I've cut out pop I've been happily drinking water often.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I drink 64oz. of water a day but that is my preference. The important thing is that you keep your body hydrated with fluid. This could come from fruits, veggies, soups, teas, etc. It doesn't have to be plain water.
  • charles91108
    charles91108 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are not hurting your body. On AVERAGE, a woman require about 90oz water a day and a man requires about 120oz.
  • Bulamai12
    Bulamai12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb on how much water to drink is to take your weight and divide by 2. That is how many ounces you should drink. If you weigh 100 lbs you should drink 50 oz. 200 lbs 100 ozs,, etc.
  • xxtikipeoplexx
    Options
    There's no true "maximum" to the amount of water you should drink. Drinking 80 oz like that though is really healthy, and I wish I found the determination to do that!
  • xxtikipeoplexx
    Options
    That seems a little excessive tbh... @theguyaboveme
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's weird because It doesn't bother me at all to drink that much. I'm not sick of it, I actually enjoy it this time around. I'm not making myself drink it. I want to.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can drink too much water, unless you are perhaps running a marathon where you lose a lot sodium in your body due to perspiration. This can cause a dangerous condition called Hyponatremia. Though through normal day to day activities, it would be hard to drink too much. Drink what satisfies you.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I drink on average 96oz of water a day.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You cannot possibly tell somebody how much water to drink on a daily basis without knowing what their activity level is like, if they live in a hot climate, do they work outside, how humid is it, how much do they weigh, what their genetics are.

All you can say with confidence is that they should consume enough water to keep their urine a pale yellow color.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Drink away! I drink about a gallon of plain water a day (from drinking about a gallon a year - seriously). Can you drink too much...yes, but you'll be way sick before you get to that point.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 4 to 6 litres a day (135 to 200 oz a day) and I'm fine :)
  • Cheesasaur
    Cheesasaur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I aim for a gallon a day and I'm doing fine! The past few days when I was on vacation in a humid area, I was easily getting up to 1.5 gallons a day. Don't worry, you're not drinking too much :)
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You cannot possibly tell somebody how much water to drink on a daily basis without knowing what their activity level is like, if they live in a hot climate, do they work outside, how humid is it, how much do they weigh, what their genetics are.

All you can say with confidence is that they should consume enough water to keep their urine a pale yellow color.

Good advice

I'll add another variable to your list too - amount of water contained in the food you eat
  • timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What you're drinking is fine. I drink around 100oz a day but may drink more depending on the amount of physical activity or the temperature outside.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Good advice

I'll add another variable to your list too - amount of water contained in the food you eat

This is right on target.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic... "Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

"Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available. "

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think I average about 100 oz, and I'm a 170lb female. You're probably fine.
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is a perfect reply to this question.
    Way to go.
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sorry meant to quote Hanabetter's reply.
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Water is good for you unless you binge it and lead to water poisoning. Too much of anything is poisonous.