Running with Runner's Knee (IT Band Syndrome)

Options
mstaser
mstaser Posts: 657 Member
Last summer while doing a long charity run (very slow pace), I strained my IT Band around my hip which causes severe knee pain. I have been working all winter trying to strengthen it back up again but its still not 100% yet. Last fall I figured I would let it heal and not run on it. That didn't work. I talked to doctors and trainers and got 100 different ways to fix it or get past it. So far the best fix has been light running and foam rolling. If I roll it out a lot before a run, I can usually get 4 miles or so without pain in my knee. If I don't roll, it starts hurting around 2 miles. Also running on road compared to trails makes a big difference also.

This is a common injury and looking for others who have dealt with it and how they got past it. Not looking to run distance, but do want to be able to run a fast 5k again.

Matt

Replies

• mpaz0907
    mpaz0907 Posts: 1
    Options
    The same thing happened to me - after a half marathon then a tri a few weeks later, my IT bands were a complete wreck.

Honestly, it seems like the more I move, the better it feels. Have you tried an IT Band strap - that did help somewhat. Also, when I went to PT, they taped it so that my knee was in the proper place (since it was displaced slightly by the tight IT band) and that really helped.
  • rdrage73
    rdrage73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The most common misconception about ITB syndrome is that it'll go away with rest. I was dealing with it after my last trail half marathon and with core exercises, stretching and foam rolling, I've been able to continue running pain free. It is inadequate/over training and stretching and muscle imbalances that cause the symptoms to begin with.
    IT bands don't strain and there's no strengthening it. They tighten. It becomes inflamed from repetitive rubbing which is caused because of muscle tightness in other areas such as inner thigh and calf which in turn cause the IT Band to tighten and rub in the knee area which is why true ITB syndrome symptoms will always be felt in the outer knee. With correct training, meaning not doing too much too fast, and stretching and foam rolling, you can continue being active without any symptoms.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. That pretty much confirms what I have been doing. The last PT told me to keep running but stop when it starts hurting. Eventually as long as I don't push it, the distance will get further and further. Rolling does help also but takes a lot of time to do especially when I struggle to get 30 minutes to go run.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A good chiropractor can do ART on you and this will help a HUGE amount.

Other things that will make a big impact - stop after 1 mile and stretch your IT bands - and do so every 20 mins after that
    strengthen your hips / glutes - do lateral leg lifts every day - 3 sets of 15 - 20 reps - add a weighted bar if you can - laying on you side keeping your foot flexed ( not pointed ) and parallel to the ground slowly raise your leg as far as it will go - and lower ( it will not be a large range of motion ) you will feel this in your butt. Also so do standing front back and side leg raises - every day - if you run do them after you run ( trust me these drills tai 10 mins and will help SO much )