Getting Thirsty

Options
I've been running for the past few months and my runs are getting beyond 5 miles and growing. At times I get a bit thirsty but I have lucky to find a garden hose here and there to grab a quick drink. But I'm thinking anytime that the homeowner will come out with a shotgun to defend his water rights.

What are you runners doing for hydration? At what point does carrying water become important or an issue? Anyone using Fuel Belts for water?

Replies

• sourapple99
    sourapple99 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you can buy a belt that has small water bottles in it...these belts are especially ment for runners....very light to wear. Try a sports shop
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    I think you should make yourself one of these - probably better than getting shot!

http://www.bhg.com/holidays/water-bottle-hat/

Karen

3611898.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Camelbak! Seriously, they're great. And light. AND they keep you cool in the summer :smile:
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    Camelbak. They can be pricey but you can get other brands for cheaper. The are lighter than they look and I didn't feel they interfered with my running form.
  • JakeNonne
    JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think you should make yourself one of these - probably better than getting shot!

http://www.bhg.com/holidays/water-bottle-hat/

LMAO! I would definitely get shot wearing that water bottle hat! Thanks for the early morning laugh! :wink:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Jake - I use a fuel belt on anything longer than 4 miles. I hate feeling dehydrated without any relief in sight. I bought one on sale before my 10k race for $19CA and it's just a very minimalist belt (http://www.ultimatedirection.com/product.php?id=119&page=all) and I have another clip-on gel bottle that I bought but have yet to use. What I find most useful is that nearly all of my summer running clothes have no pockets, so the extra carrying pouch on the belt is super handy. Holds my endurance gel, house key, and ID perfectly.

I'd highly recommend one. They are kind of hard to get used to wearing when you are so used to running "free". Very annoying for the first few runs, tbh. I never thought I'd get used to it. But now I like mine just fine. I think I'm going to invest in a better one come the warmer weather since mine is now too big on me, but over all my winter clothes it fits well enough. Just make sure you try yours on before buying!

Hope this helps :smile:
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ugh, us guys will do some stupid things without thinking about it :p DON'T GET YOUR WATER FROM GARDEN HOSES!

Getting shot when doing this is probably the least of your worries—I'd say being yelled at is the highest in likelihood. Following that, though are ...

10 to 100 times the acceptable amount of lead in your drinking water (the average garden hose is made from PVC which uses lead as a stabilizer)
    tons of bacteria, due to the dark dampness and sitting out for long periods
    insects
    pesticides and other garden chemicals

I'm glad that you're looking for other options already, and being shot would be detrimental to your health, but bear all of this stuff in mind—there is certainly no point in running and getting healthy if you're going to be drinking lead tainted water.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Probably not the best idea what I do, lol, but I can't hydrate before or during runs, I wait until after. I get thirsty, but have a small bladder. Anything more than a 5k is going to be a challenge because of this. :/
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I used my Camelbak while training for and walking a half marathon. I was so thankful to have it. Now that I am turning my sites towards running, I am going to get a fuel belt. Even if I just slosh water around in my mouth or take small sips, it totally helps for those longer distances.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Probably not the best idea what I do, lol, but I can't hydrate before or during runs, I wait until after. I get thirsty, but have a small bladder. Anything more than a 5k is going to be a challenge because of this. :/
    I have a major problem with this during my every day, but when I run I never have to stop and pee. I can run 10+ miles without stopping, actually, including some water breaks. You body is sweating so much that hydration is a must, but you won't necessarily have to relieve yourself. I always worried about this before I started running longer distances but yea - I can drink 12-16oz while I run without having to use the facilities at all.