Need to get rid of this "muffin top"

Options
Okay, I have never had to deal with this issue before, until about a year ago. I have developed a case of the dreaded muffin top and I can't get rid of it. On top of that, I have the beginnings of a pot belly and it jiggles when I walk. I noticed this the other day. I am horrified because I have always considered myself in shape. 30 snuck up on me and now it's winning the battle. Any one have any excersises that target these area's? Help!

Replies

• k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Funny, I just spoke to my certified beach body coach about this. She said that most people think you can target the upper stomach with one exercise and then use another type of exercise for the lower "pot belly". She said actually its all the same muscle (all attached) and you can only take the fat off by high cardio. Lose the weight and the muffin and pot belly will shrink. Good luck.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That definitely must be a sign of the 30's because the exact same thing happened to me when I turned the big 3-0. The only thing I've ever found that worked was pilates. I used it after I had my son and it really helped. :smile:
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    while you are working on getting rid of the muffin top, try changing the cut of your pants. going from a low or mid rise pant to one that hits you at the natural waistline will instantly change your silhouette.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I know that this is not what you want to "hear", but some of that is genetics. You can do exercises to tone/firm, you just have to find what works for your body's genetic make-up.
    My Baby Sister who has a Great figure has the "hate-handles" (I don't call them love handles since there is nothing to love about them :laugh: ) and no matter how much she works out, they will always be there since she got my Dad's genetics. I got my Mum's, so while I have Thunder Thighs & Huge Hips, my "muffin" is almost gone.

Some of the best forms of exercise are cardio (check out The Firm Cardio Sculpting or Cardio Dance) and mix it with some Ab routines that target the Obliques (ExerciseTV has some great routines).

Just find your niche & what works & feels good for you - good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    You can't spot train. You need to work the entire body and you need to eat clean. Don't be afraid of weight trainin it will also help bc while you are liftin weights you have to learn to hold in your abs. Walkin will help too. Avoid chesse and remember abs were built in the kitchein. Check out scoobysworkshop.com to find answers to your questions.
  • stacybolstridge
    Options
    Thanks. Hopefully I can be rid of this thing that has attached itself to me before spring...
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    Yes I too am working on my muffin top. Well more of a baby pouch. I have noticed that while loosing weight it is shrinking. I am curious at the other answers too. I think weight loss in general plays a HUGE roll but I also think crunches do help
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think it is an over all workout that works. Cardio, a little bit of abs workout and strength training. Like someone said my trainer says to 'hold in' your belly when working out. Losing the weight will help some too with me at least. I figure once the fat goes the more the muscles will work and be seen. Good luck!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michales 30 day Shred dvd is a conbination of strength, cardio and ab work all arranged neatly into 30 mins a day. Combined with calorie counting it really helped me loose my muffin top. I enjoyed it so much I've started another round of 30 day shred this morning.
  • stacybolstridge
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your insight.
  • whtghost2
    whtghost2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the HCG diet? It's been a very good diet for me. You can Google pounds and inches of if you are on facebook search hcg liquid. Great support and you can read everyones posts. Good Luck!!!!!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. My muffin top has gotten ridiculous. I'm waiting for the day that Hostess contacts me to be a spokesperson due to the fact that I resemble a muffin.
  • lindisky
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you.... I have the dreaded muffin top and spare tires, with my waist curving in the middle. If anyone has more ideas, I am game!
    Thanks