Low Salt

Options
Hi, I'm new to this board. I'm 60 years old (Barely!!) and pretty active (walk 2-3 times a week - 2- miles each time) and I'm having problems with my feet swelling if I eat too much sodium. I'm on blood pressure pills and the HCTZ. What is a good limit of sodium for me per day. I know that what FitnessPal says I can have is too much! I'm looking for a reasonable guideline. Any suggestions? Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It sounds like something you'll have to figure out for yourself if your doctor couldn't give you a number. Try cutting back significantly then slowly reintroducing larger amounts until the issues come back to find your limit.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    At 40 I am super sensitive to salt. HBP has killed most of my family. To feel normal I try to keep my sodium around 1500 mgs. I think MFP says 2500. Federal guidelines say 2200, maybe? All I know is that if I stray too far from grilled proteins, vegetables and/or water I swell up pretty bad.

Some people never have problems.

Good luck. Whole grain rice, grilled proteins and frozen veges are about all we are left with.
  • Catherine0959
    Options
    I asked Eat Right Ontario about sodium and here is what I was told. We need 1300mg of sodium, as women between 50 and 70 years old, but we shouldn't aim for this. We should max out at 1500 mg of sodium to protect our heart. This is easy enough to do just eating whole foods. The more bread, meats and especially prepared foods we eat, the more sodium we consume.