Who's from Houston, Tx?

Options
Who's here from Houston?
Ok moving from San Diego, Ca. to Houston, Tx. (no choice) tell me about it.
Try to be positive. :)

Replies

• sdstargazer
    sdstargazer Posts: 27
    Options
    *bump*
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Apparently no one has anything positive to say about it.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I lived there from 1999-2001. It is really big. The interstate sysytem (Spaghetti Bowl) is a trip.

SuperStock_4017-781.jpg

Fitzgerald's was a kickass dive rock bar.

I lived in Alief. It is Earth's armpit and napalming the area flat would be considered a beautification project. Avoid it.

Overall I had a good time and I'd move back for a good job but not to the West Side.
  • dkreed07
    dkreed07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will be moving to Houston at the end of June. My family are here this week finding a house. Everyone seems really nice. I have
    Gotten a lot of info on schools and neighborhoods for Humble which is 30 min north of Houston.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Welcome to friendly people, hot weather, and affordable housing.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Try to be positive. :)

It's not San Antonio.

And it's not Lubbock (where I grew up).

OP, it's not that bad. If you move to The Woodlands, you won't make many friends. Everyone there is busy drinking their Starbucks, planning their Caribbean cruise, and filling up their Range Rovers with gas.
  • Chefvan
    Chefvan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Any Houston peoples feel free to friend me.
  • Chefvan
    Chefvan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ha woodlands, well Kingwood isn't much better, everyone here thinks they are allergic to gluten.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    houston is effing awesome.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Again, at least it's a place where a middle class family can actually afford to live and play.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was there once on my way to Costa Rica. The airport was nice...
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I've been in Houston since 98.

It's a very large area and by you saying "moving to Houston" there is a lot of room for interpretation.

I live near NASA and Kemah, people who I know that live IN or North of Houston think I live in Galveston.

Are you moving for a job? Gas/Energy/IT is very big here.

Lots of museums, clubs, a fantastic medical system.

Cost of living is probably lower than you're accustomed too so you will feel like for housing and fuel your dollar goes farther.

People love to shop in the Galleria, but I'm cheap and don't like to drive that far.

Bad areas for traffic: Anywhere on 290, anywhere that connects to the 59, and 45N headed to downtown. 45S can have problems too, but usually they come from the first 3 I mentioned.

There is an HOV system which you can now pay to use as a single driver, the cost depends on the time of day.
    There are also multiple toll roads which can be great but also have their own traffic problem. If you take these often I recommend a prepaid pass (can't remember the real name.)

We have 2 airports, Bush (IAH) and Hobby. IAH is very large, north side of the city. Hobby is smaller but they have are a big SouthWest airlines hub. Hobby is not "south," but more convenient to people in the Clear Lake and Galveston area.

Lots of schools, research your district.
    Harris county taxes are higher than Galveston county taxes.

So many places to eat. Everyone has favorites, so don't be afraid to go to Yelp for reviews.

Did I mention the traffic?
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Who plays first base...

Costello: Well then who's on first?
    Abbott: Yes.
    Costello: I mean the fellow's name.
    Abbott: Who.
    Costello: The guy on first.
    Costello: The first baseman.
    Costello: The guy playing...
    Abbott: Who is on first!
    Costello: I'm asking YOU who's on first.
    Abbott: That's the man's name.
    Costello: That's who's name?
    Abbott: Yes.
    Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.
    Abbott: That's it.
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    I currently reside in Kingwood, Texas, which is a suburb of Houston. It's a beautiful city with a small town feel, even though there are just over 60,000 residents in Kingwood.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm up in the Dallas area but I have family down in Houston... They seem to like it down there.. I try to sick to my small town south of DAllas...
  • dkreed07
    dkreed07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ive been here since the end of June. I'm in Atascocita. So far people are really nice. I like the area. I'd like the heat much better if I bought a house with a pool. We haven't met many people, cuz no one goes outside. I'm looking forward to not having any snow. Things that are strange to me here: No one uses their garages for cars, lizards running around, no one complains about the heat (people in Illinois are whiners about heat and cold). Oh and I love love love HEB.

A lady in The Woodlands' house was broken in to last weekend. They stole jewelry and hand bags out of her 3000 square foot, three story closet. My whole house is 2900 square feet!!! Crazy
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    HEB is the greatest.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Lived in Houston almost 5 years, and got married there. Visit the inlaws often.

Houston is a great city with horrible weather, lousy zoning, and no topography. But I loved living there because it was creative, exciting, educational, full of wonderful people (I married one), and a great place to study. Spent 3 of those Houston years at Rice. Saw the Jean Miichel Jarre show in 1985 and that made Houston a first-class city for me.
  • Bostonsoul
    Bostonsoul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm in Houston..and pretty much what all these people said make it awesome...