Un-"Fried" Chicken?

Options
Help! I want to bake my chicken leg quarters without the skin. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to put on it so that it will have a crispy texture to it?

Replies

• sugarbuzz74
    sugarbuzz74 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    panko!
  • nicolekeller
    Options
    Italian bread crumbs
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes! I always remove the skin from the bone in chicken, paint a mixture of dijon mustard and mayo, sour cream, or plain yogurt (depending on what you have) and then cover them with panko breadcrumbs. Crispy, flavorful, and satisfying. You can toss your breadcrumbs with spices too depending on your taste.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of panko breadcrumbs. Sounds interesting. Are they with the regular bread crumbs?
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I dip them in whole wheat flour, then a beaten egg (use the egg white if you wish) and then bread crumbs. For the bread crumbs, I just put one slice of bread in my food processor. You can add seasonings to the flour if you want. Usually, that's enough for the two of us, but it's too much egg. If you're cooking for four people, one egg is probably about right. Just turn the oven on kind of high so the outside gets nice and browned, but do make sure they get cooked all the way.
  • melissashafer
    melissashafer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Italian bread crumbs

Love the Italian Bread crumbs! I use them to make chicken fingers for the kids!
  • motherhippo
    motherhippo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My mom always uses some kind of cereal like Rice Chex or Rice Crispies ground up in the food processor. Of course she adds parmesian cheese as well which can be omitted. She dips them in buttermilk before the cereal but low fat milk would work as well. The rice chex are particularly crispy I've found. Yum!
  • plagirl227
    Options
    I have never heard of panko breadcrumbs. Sounds interesting. Are they with the regular bread crumbs?

Yes.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Mix egg beaters with buffalo hot wing sauce (crystal, franks red hot) then dip them in Panko. Bake them on a cooling rack covered with cooking spray. Mmmm makes my mouth water!