should u lose all the weight u want before gaining muscle???

Options
should u lose weight before gaining muscle ...they say that you cant replace fat with muscle say on thighs?..... what should i do ?

Replies

• JennRy86
    JennRy86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well in order to burn fat more effectively, you must gain muscle. Muscle helps burn fat. Let's say you do cardio every other day, you should do weight lifting every other cardio day. Does that make sense? Doing weight lifting every other cardio day will help your muscles recover before the next weight lifting day. So I would not just lose the weight before gaining muscle. Everything works together! :)

Hope this helps and good luck!!
    -Jennie
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    add me as a friend Kalebsmama and read my post today as it seems appropriate for your topic. i'd love to help you any way that i can to attain your goals. starting today i have also been inspired to leave a daily helpful tip. you go girl!!
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    Well in order to burn fat more effectively, you must gain muscle. Muscle helps burn fat. Let's say you do cardio every other day, you should do weight lifting every other cardio day. Does that make sense? Doing weight lifting every other cardio day will help your muscles recover before the next weight lifting day. So I would not just lose the weight before gaining muscle. Everything works together! :)

Hope this helps and good luck!!
    -Jennie

thanks so much
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    something i do that you might find helpful is...... i do at least 10-15 mins warm up, then 30 minutes of weighlifting and then at least 30 minutes of cardio, with a 5 -10 min cooldown. I do this 5 days a week, days 6 and 7 I might do cardio but no weights.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Great question.......I was also wondering this. Also how heavy weights etc.....I workout at home because going to the gym is just something I will blow off(I work from home and I am a Homemaker).
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Sorry that didn't sound right.....My question is How heavy should the weights be for starters? I did 30 min. of cardio workout this morning using 2 lbs. weighted gloves. Was wanting to add a medicine ball or kettleball to my "weightloss weapons". Any suggestions?
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    should u lose weight before gaining muscle ...they say that you cant replace fat with muscle say on thighs?..... what should i do ?

Generally the rule is that you can't build muscle while losing weight because in order to build muscle you need to have positive energy balance, though a complete beginners body responds to exercise differently than someone's who has been at it for a long while, so a beginner might build some muscle even on a negative energy balance. Though this would be far from optimal because the greatest advantage in resistance training while losing weight is that it healps you keep the muscles that you already have.

The optimal thing to do is thus to first lose weight (doing resistance training but not really aiming at progressing in the weights) until you are satisfied with your weight, then go to plus Calories and change you weight training regimen to a more progressing one (you're bulking). Then, when you reach the weight limit, that you have set for yourself, you start dieting again to lose the fat that you gain too while bulking, then bulk again later, etc
    This way you can concentrate on doing one thing at a time properly. It isn't productive to try to manage two things at the same time that are inherently countrary to each other.
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Remember that for a girl you are toning more then building muscle. Lighter weights and more reps. Also using light weights while doing cardio might be what you are looking for. Nothing cooler then having the sleek muscles. Also remember to eat lean protein to help the muscles you are building. Good Luck!
  • alantin
    Options
    Sorry that didn't sound right.....My question is How heavy should the weights be for starters? I did 30 min. of cardio workout this morning using 2 lbs. weighted gloves. Was wanting to add a medicine ball or kettleball to my "weightloss weapons". Any suggestions?

I think, the weight should be something you are comfortable with but still challenging. I don't do cardio stuff with weights but when lifting an 8 reps set for example, the weight should be enough so that you can't do 9.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    um, sexist?
    Remember that for a girl you are toning more then building muscle. Lighter weights and more reps. Also using light weights while doing cardio might be what you are looking for. Nothing cooler then having the sleek muscles. Also remember to eat lean protein to help the muscles you are building. Good Luck!
  • alantin
    Options

A girl can't naturally grow muscle the way men do so no use in fearing heavier weigts and shorter sets. Actually, I think that the fear of growing too much muscle is the single worst thing that is keeping a lot of women from progressing and toning as much as they can, simply because it is a completely unfounded!

If it becomes a cardio exercise, it's effects become something very different than what anaerobic lifting does so use enough weight people! If you can swing it all day, you might as well be jogging outside instead of paying the expensive gym fees!