Transition from walking to jogging.

Options
I have been walking 5-6 times a week and have really increased my distance and speed. My cardiovascular system is greatly improved. The last month, during walks, I have had strong urges to break out into a run. My hesitation is this. Despite having lost a lot of weight, I am still considered obese by medical standards. I worry that jogging now would put too much strain on my knees or feet and risk an injury. I am still 40 lbs. from my initial goal and even then I will be a bit overweight (I plan to create a new goal upon reaching that weight). I competed cross country in high school and college. The heaviest weight I ever was, was 145 lbs. Of course, that was heavy training in peak physical condition, so I know my weight will be higher now. Should I begin to jog now or wait. If waiting, at what weight should I begin. I'm 229 lbs. now. Any thoughts?

Replies

• meechster20001
    meechster20001 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've started the couch to 5k thing last week and i was 212 as I started. If you've a smart phone I highly recommend it, tells you when to jog and walk at different intervals and helps you to build up...it's my goal to be able to run 5k by the end of the year!

Good luck x
  • ErynV15
    ErynV15 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Couch to 5K. I downloaded an app on my phone. You gradually work your way up, and you can always modify or stay at a certain week if you need to!
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Thank you both of you. I am aware of Couch to 5k, but my real concern is weight and injury to knees and feet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thank you both of you. I am aware of Couch to 5k, but my real concern is weight and injury to knees and feet.

I don't think you're really going to know anything until you just give it a try. Start slow and if things start to become bothersome, back off.

I'm at a totally healthy weight and can't really run anymore due to feet and knees...so it may very well have little or nothing to do with your weight in the end. I took up cycling due to the foot problems I was having trying to get back into running.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

I don't think you're really going to know anything until you just give it a try. Start slow and if things start to become bothersome, back off.

I'm at a totally healthy weight and can't really run anymore due to feet and knees...so it may very well have little or nothing to do with your weight in the end. I took up cycling due to the foot problems I was having trying to get back into running.

True, weight isn't always the cause of foot/knee problems, but more weight means more pressure on the joints when landing.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're an average size guy, you're about where I was the fall of 2011. It sounds like you've done a good job of building some base miles through walking. I would recommend a heart monitor to help you take things slow. The problem I had was that I jumped into running with both feet (so to speak) and developed my calf muscles too quickly which led to compartment syndrome in both calves (massive cramps when I ran too hard). My knees were fine, and my feet were comparatively fine (considering I have plantar fasciitis). If you have not had knee or foot problems in the past, you should not have a problem with jogging. Just start off slow, and don't build your weekly mileage more than 5% or 10% per week. And since you ran cross country, you know all about stretching.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Give it a whack. If it hurts, stop. If it doesn't hurt, keep going.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

True, weight isn't always the cause of foot/knee problems, but more weight means more pressure on the joints when landing.

I realize this...but I don't think anyone here is going to definitely tell you yeah or nay here. Everyone is going to have different experiences...I'm sure there are heavy individuals who've had no issues whatsoever along with others like myself who have issues despite being healthy and fit. This was my greater point.
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Can you get on an elliptical for a few weeks to help increase endurance? Have you had trouble with your knees before?

I'd recommend you take it slowly. Let your body guide you. You're going to be sore from running. First time I ran, I had been using an elliptical for 3 weeks and I felt like my butt was going to fall off! SO SORE where I least expected it. I'm now running 3.3 miles (minus three brief breaks at the top of the three hills). When I started, a runner friend suggested I run 10 minutes, walk one. Another suggested running one light pole, walking the next. (If you take a few ibuprofen before you run, you won't be so sore afterwards). Have fun!
  • Dondre28
    Dondre28 Posts: 53
    Options
    I have been walking 5-6 times a week and have really increased my distance and speed. My cardiovascular system is greatly improved. The last month, during walks, I have had strong urges to break out into a run. My hesitation is this. Despite having lost a lot of weight, I am still considered obese by medical standards. I worry that jogging now would put too much strain on my knees or feet and risk an injury. I am still 40 lbs. from my initial goal and even then I will be a bit overweight (I plan to create a new goal upon reaching that weight). I competed cross country in high school and college. The heaviest weight I ever was, was 145 lbs. Of course, that was heavy training in peak physical condition, so I know my weight will be higher now. Should I begin to jog now or wait. If waiting, at what weight should I begin. I'm 229 lbs. now. Any thoughts?

Im 230+ and i sprint, jog, and walk. Honestly speaking this is what i do I jog then when i get tired i walk i do it that way however, I go long distances because i also do it to make it a hobby so i do 8-10 miles. I have had pains in the soles of my feet and minor shin splints but it only lasts a day also, i dont do this every day as im spent so i do this long distance twice a week, i Also do insanity workout. Your right its hard to just walk when u get that boost u want to jog, I say go for it but monitor your body during and after. Buy gel insoles for your shoes to lower impact as well. :happy: keep fighting there can only be 1 outcome :happy:
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    Just to chime in on this - I was about 120kg when I started the Couch 2 5k program. I stuck with it and now I am around 80kg and run marathons :-). Like any sport you do get injured, but as I read before on this site it's better to spend some time on the physio's table than the cardiologist's table.
    In terms of pain to expect, your shins may well be sore after the first few sessions. this is because you are stressing muscles that haven't done much work for a while! That definitely does pass. Pain to watch out for is anything in the knee join itself or along the side of it, those are overuse injuries. It's pretty unlikely that you will do that on the volume that Couch 2 5k starts you off at though.

Starting and finishing that program is one of the best things I ever did, so good luck!
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    you sound exactly like i did before i started c25k, to try and lose weight i started walking everywhere and then i started walking quicker to burn more calories, then i started to enjoy the feeling of my legs doing some hard work

when ever i get to a certain higher weight my knees start to give me hell so i was worried that if i started running they wouldn't be able to take the strain, thankfully i've found its had the opposite effect, since i've started running (now on week 5) i've found that my knees feel stronger

my advice is to give it a go but before you do make sure you have some good fitting shoes :)

edit: i started running at about 190lbs (i think)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Theonly way that you're going to condition your knees and ankles to running is by running.

C25K is a well planned approach, it works for many but it's not the only way.

As I recall you got similar advice a few days ago. What I'd suggest is that you stop worrying, get out there and see how it goes.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I was about 300#, with chronic but moderate knee pain when I started running. Which is really jogging, and that is a key point: don't try to sprint right out of the gate, as that WILL be more likely to cause injury! Even now, months later, I still don't jog much faster than my fastest walking pace, but it's more about the motion than the speed. Is it risky to try running while heavy? Sure, but any exercise is risky at any weight. The only way to know is to try :) I second (or third, or fourth) the notion to give C25K a shot. It's a great way to build your running endurance, though I kind of grew out of it before "graduating".